Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Sudden, Total, Temporary Failure to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:15 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this weird experience over the weekend and wondered if the group has ever observed the same thing.

My '03 MC has the factory/OEM alarm. I washed it in the driveway, locked it setting the alarm, and left it alone for about 90 minutes. When darkness fell I returned outside to put the car in the garage. Unlocked the car with the keyless-entry system, got in and turned the key -- nothing from the engine. All the lights and chimes went off as usual, the dash displays started and cycled as usual, but no sound at all from under the hood. I tried three or four times; engine dead as a doornail. No cough, no turnover, nothing.

I got out of the car, locked it resetting the alarm, walked around the car slowly, unlocked it and got back in -- and it started up as usual. No further problems to date.

So...

-- Did I inadvertently trip an anti-theft feature?

-- Could washing the car have put moisture somewhere it shouldn't be?

-- It was cold out, about 40 degrees... temperature a factor?

-- Is this a sign of some Lucas-y electrical problem? (The first thing I thought of was batttery failure, but all the gauges, dials and chimes worked like gangbusters...)

Thank you in advance for sharing advice or similar experiences!

Old 11-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had this happen myself, only once (so far). It was also before I had installed the factory alarm. Turning the key to the start position did nothing at all, as if I wasnt pushing the clutch in (safety feature). I pulled the key out and waited a moment, then tried again and everything was fine. I figured the car 'misread' the security chip in the key and refused to start. Restarting the process by removing the key entirely and away from the 'reader' (the circular area around the lock cylinder) seemed to do the trick. Since the MINI uses a bidirectional wireless 'chip' in the key not only as a security feature, but also to record the mileage and any trouble codes, there is a lot going on in the first milliseconds the key is first inserted. If communication isnt established between the key and the car's computer right away, then the computer assumes the key is not valid, even if you have turned the ignition on.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:08 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
That sounds pretty plausible, Greatbear -- thank you!

Old 11-07-2003, 05:33 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there, I don't know if you have the same problem as me, so click here to read about it. Off the top of my head I remember something about an engine wiring harness going bad for others on the forums, but the dealer just replaced the starter for me. And the battery was checked out as well and deemed ok.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Greatbear
>>I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Okay, since we both had this trouble, which one gets the attention?

Old 11-10-2003, 09:33 AM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Antranik, thank you. We have exactly the same symptoms to report only mine hasn't recurred (as yet).

MINI USA sent me an email expressing sympathy and interest but basically saying they'd never heard of this problem before... it looks like at least three people on this thread have experienced it actually... I'm going to give them a call to discuss.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Greatbear
I think I would have gotten more attention from MINI USA if I bought a Hummer or an Amish buggy. Par for the course in my case.

I'll make sure I bring it up tomorrow at the big MINI Night at MINI of Towson. I'll be there picking up a large bolt that has been missing from the front subframe of my car since day one. Lucky me, I'm only out two bucks this time.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:01 PM
BearX220
3rd Gear
Please do bring it up at the MINI night and let us know what you hear. I had a nice conversation with my MINI Customer Service caseworker today -- pointed out that at least three owners have now observed All-Lights, No-Start Syndrome (ALNOSS)... so it must be something out there, even if it is rare. She had no data at all to share, but at least we know they're now aware of the problem.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:07 PM
StormTide
Neutral
I think this is happening to my MC

I _just_ got an 06 MC with Classic Package, and I think I'm experiencing this problem.. Its happened twice.. once at about 150km and once again at about 320km.

It happened both times after sitting in the car for about 10 minutes (eating fast food) with the key in acc mode with the engine off.

Each time, all interior lights, radio works, headlights work (even high beams)... its not battery dead.... I turn the key to acc -- everything works great. Turn to start, and nothing from the engine at all. The running/parking lights do go off when in the on position.

If i open the door it gives me the dont lock your key in the car beeps.... (not sure if thats the chime you guys are talking about)

So I pull out the key, put it back in... nothing... Try my wifes key.. Nothing... get out ... lock the car, unlock it, get back in and it just starts right up. Can turn it off after and it starts right up again without issue.

I've sent an email to my dealer (in Edmonton) and am awaiting a reply.

I see this thread is really old, was there a resolution to this problem?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
StormTide
Neutral
I think I know what the prob is

If I pull back on the shifter (cvt) while in park -- it wont start... if I push forward on the shifter, she starts right up.

So I think it's a calibration problem with the shifter position switch.

Does anyone have a diagram of this system?

I think this ALNOSS problem is probably a shifter position prob as it does definitely disable the starter from turning.