Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Original clutch died after just 126k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
greenmanalishi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original clutch died after just 126k miles...

I'm really impressed with how long the original clutch has lasted in my 03 MCS, but now comes the arduous task of forking over 11.4 hours of labor dollars, plus the cost of parts to have everything replaced (clutch, to bearing, flywheel, etc). My clutch never started to slip, smell, or otherwise give any indication that it was going, it was just poof and then no clutch. Turns out the throw-out bearing spontaneously combusted.

My thoughts are that while my mechanic is in there, why not have it all done at once?

Anyway, I checked out a few of the threads on here relating to clutch replacement and issues, and considering the general consensus that going to a single mass aluminum flywheel increases "chatter", I plan on sticking with the dual-mass.

From www.partsgeek.com:
LuK clutch kit - $195.75
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...lutch_kit.html

LuK DM flywheel - $444.75
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200.../flywheel.html

I'll probably order the master and slave cylinder for the clutch as well for good measure... because I really don't want to have to deal with this labor bill again.

Should I have anything else replaced while the tranny's out? Any thoughts/advice on replacing the OEM clutch & flywheel? Does a "clutch kit" include the pressure plate, T.O. bearing, clutch disk?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
03BRG
4th Gear
The kit should have everything-pressure plate, T.O. bearing, clutch disk. As for what else maybe the front end bushings?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greenmanalishi
I plan on sticking with the dual-mass.
Good call.

I'll probably order the master and slave cylinder for the clutch as well for good measure... because I really don't want to have to deal with this labor bill again.
These are external parts that can be replaced without all the labor required to pull out the transmission. You won't save any $ doing them as part of this job and they could last a lot longer.

Should I have anything else replaced while the tranny's out?
If you don't have an LSD, replace the open diff with one of these.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
You don't even need all that stuff. I wouldn't bother with the clutch master cylinder, in 7yrs I haven't replaced 1 yet.As for getting other stuff, go for the quafie, you'll love it.And for getting your other parts. Ask your Mechanic before you buy your own. When you bring your own parts it's kinda like taking your own steak to a resturant and asking them to cook it, big insult and we charge more to put in outsourced parts. And if he is ok with bringing your own parts, don't buy from the big evil internet store, but from a MINI vendor that supports the community, even if it's not me. Like Helix or Detroit Tuned. Vendors like us need all the sales we can get to keep business going and be here to answer questions and support the community.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
WMW is right about getting the parts from the shop doing the work.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 01-04-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and while the subframe is dropped, you should probably do the control arm and swaybar bushings.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Do the guide tube, various seals, differential-plus bearings-if you can afford it.

Good call to inspect/replace the bushings as Tazio pointed out(check your steering rack bushing while there too).

Jeremy

Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
greenmanalishi
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the help!
Ordered some PowerFlex control arm and front sway bar bushings since there was some wear on them and the LF control arm bushing was cracking. Replacing the ball joints, too. Steering rack bushing is still doing fine. Supporting the community with Outmotoring.com.

I've known the mechanic for several years, and bringing my own parts is generally encouraged. The restaurant analogy doesn't really fit here, since my mechanic doesn't make money on parts, and the best price using WorldDirect through him was $700flywheel/$290clutch. I ordered the same OEM parts for almost $400 less, including overnight shipping. Happy to support the community when I can.

I appreciate the advice on the master/slave cylinder; didn't know those were accessible without dropping the subframe. Ohhhh, and LSD would be amazing, but maybe some other time. I'll have to start saving for that.