Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

low oil level 4k mi' after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
talvino
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low oil level 4k mi' after oil change

My girl friend owns a 07 MC s changed her oil in the end of april
25580 mi' on the odometer @ the dealer.
this week 30 k miles engine knoks she goes back to the dealer and was told
she ran the motor with no oil and needs a new motor and turbo.
1. she was told that you have to check oil level every 2nd gas tank. IS THAT RIGHT?
2. went to a local shop they add a little oil and could not duplicate problem.

realy wanted to know if any of you guys have to top of the oil that many
times?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
You need to make sure the car has oil. Has no one checked it since April? After reading a few of these threads, I think I will check mine a little more often.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
AXracer
1st Gear
If you can believe it, BMW says that acceptaple oil consumpsion on these cars is 1 qt every 700 mi. Thats CRAZY.
If you stick by the intervals set by the factory you can run out of oil way before your service is due !!!
I have also heard of oil lines to the turbo plugging and turbos burning up due to oil change intervals being too far apart.

BTW, yours is a second gen MINI or R56 N14, this post belongs in th 2nd gen forum.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AXracer
If you can believe it, BMW says that acceptaple oil consumpsion on these cars is 1 qt every 700 mi. Thats CRAZY.
Is this fact your something you read on a forum? Lets see the bulletin that states this.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 AM
AXracer
1st Gear
I was told this by the BMW field rep visiting a local dealer when asking him about oil usage in the R56 N14 engine. He refered to a bulletin (it was an old BMW bulletin) and I told him the MINIs were not even out when the bulletin came out, he replied it applies to all BMW vehicles. (he was a real #!%&)
Maybee he was just giving me a hard time or was full of it, I cant access these bulletins so if someone out there can I would love to see it too. Anyway the service advisor and he stuck by this. I check my oil every 1000 mi or so and never go more than 5k on synthetic between service.
BTW Fords spec for oil usage back in the 80s was 1 qt every 900 mi.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM
AXracer
1st Gear
OK, stopped by the local dealer this morning to further research this and wouldnt you know, the service advisor had actual copies of this handy, I guess this has become a hot topic among the TURBO cars. The bulletin # SIB 11-05-84, it states the following.
after the engie has been run a distance of 6000 mi. the maximum permisable oil consumption for our four and six cylinder engines is 750 miles per quart.
I find this VERY SCARY !!

This info belongs in the second gen forums more than here since it didnt really seem to be an issue until the N14 (turbo) engine from what I have heard. My R53 W11 has never used alot of oil, it now has 165k on it and still uses less than a quart between oil changes.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Yes, you MUST check your oil level on any car between oil changes! It was knocking because it was beginning to self destruct. Luckily it sounds like you may have saved it by adding oil in time.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
There is no excuse for building a car that needs it's oil level checked every other time you fill up! What does the service manager tell his BMW customers? Their engines now come without dipsticks! Do they need to have this checked every other time they fill up? Something doesn't sound right here.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
Your right about not having a dip stick but they have a low oil sensor.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AXracer
If you stick by the intervals set by the factory you can run out of oil way before your service is due !!!
I have also heard of oil lines to the turbo plugging and turbos burning up due to oil change intervals being too far apart.

BTW, yours is a second gen MINI or R56 N14, this post belongs in th 2nd gen forum.
1 qt every 700 mi matches closely to the number I was given - 1 liter every 1000km. They are not saying it WILL burn that much oil, but rather that if it does, it is within specifications.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
There is no excuse for building a car that needs it's oil level checked every other time you fill up! What does the service manager tell his BMW customers? Their engines now come without dipsticks! Do they need to have this checked every other time they fill up? Something doesn't sound right here.
These is no low oil level sensor in the MINI. The only way you know you have oil is to check it. I am going to my car for a cold level check right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
I realize that there is no low oil sensor in the MINI. My point is that I don't think it's reasonable to expect the average MINI owner to check his or her oil every 700 miles. I wonder if this is being told to customers when they pick up their new R56. I doubt it. Moreover, given the technology level present in today's car engines, do you think it is acceptable for an engine to use that much oil in such a short time?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
Do a search about new motors using oil on the net Mini/ BMW are not the only ones that have a high oil rate. I found this

Now a word about new cars. People notice the engine in their new vehicle seems to be burning oil. They contact the dealer and are advised that using oil is a "normal condition." I agree, however there is a difference between "burning oil" and "using oil." We just discussed how oil is burned. In contrast, today's engines operate at higher temperatures and compression ratios, causing oil to be used. Higher temperatures and compression ratios achieve two things:
  1. [*]
However, along with these benefits comes the side effect of using oil, due to the increased friction and heat. As a result, the oil is evaporating or being broken down while doing its job. In other words, the oil is being used. It is not going out the tail pipe as it does when it is burned.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
How many of you second generation owners who bought cars from a dealer were informed of this?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by talvino
My girl friend owns a 07 MC s changed her oil in the end of april
25580 mi' on the odometer @ the dealer.
this week 30 k miles engine knoks she goes back to the dealer and was told
she ran the motor with no oil and needs a new motor and turbo.
1. she was told that you have to check oil level every 2nd gas tank. IS THAT RIGHT?
2. went to a local shop they add a little oil and could not duplicate problem.

realy wanted to know if any of you guys have to top of the oil that many
times?

There is an oil pressure sensor that will trigger a warning light if pressure is below specs. Did it ever come on? If it did and was ignored, the engine could be damaged.

Turbocharged motors can be harsh on oil, so it's important to follow its consumption pattern.

It's the owner's responsibility to check the oil level. Even if it consumes too much, it's still the owner's duty to keep track of it.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
How many of you second generation owners who bought cars from a dealer were informed of this?
Informed of the need to periodically check the oil level? I bought mine used. The dealer showed me how to check the oil level. They also showed me other basic items including how to fill up the gas tank and what kind of fuel to use.

I'm not saying that significant oil usage in a low mileage car is good or that an oil leak is to be expected. What I'm saying is that the consequences of running your car without sufficient oil are dire enough to check the level often.

Last edited by ran-o-matic; 12-09-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Did the dealer tell you that the oil should be checked every other time you filled up the gas tank?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Did the dealer tell you that the oil should be checked every other time you filled up the gas tank?
They did not. They told me to check it once a week. I just checked the manual. It doesn't give an interval. It just says that oil consumption varies. It sounds like you don't think checking oil level is necessary. We must agree to disagree.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
I definitely think checking the oil is a very important part of maintaining any vehicle. I've just never heard a recommendation to check it so frequently. At least they told you!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dipstick use....

Wow....

Have your girl open the glove box out & read page 95 & 96 of the owners manual.

Never mind, I've done it for her.

The engine oil consumption is dependent on driving style and driving conditions.

Checking engine oil level !!!!

With the vehicle's engine at normal operating temperature, i.e. after uninterrupted driving for at least 6 miles/10 km, park the vehicle on a level surface.
Switch off the engine.

Pull the dipstick out after approx. 5 minutes and wipe it off with a lint-free cloth, paper towel or similar material.
Carefully push the dipstick all the way into

the guide tube and pull it out again. The oil level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.The oil quantity at a level between the two marks on the dipstick is approx. 1 US quart1 liter. Do not fill beyond the upper mark on the dipstick. Excess oil will damage the engine. (as will driving without enough oil)

Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Axracer, thanks backup up with a source, it just sounds really weird...

Where the heck do people think the Oil is going? I know my 03 MCS needs about a half quart to a full one every 4000-5000 miles. I assume its oil getting blown by the SC...

Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
wdietz186
2nd Gear
Most all of the higher end,performance type cars do tend to use some oil. Stop and go driving tends to up the consumption and as these cars cost alot many drivers baby them during break in which leads to glazed cyl. walls and if the rings don't seat the car will use oil. Most all the owners manuals I've seen say oil should be checked when the tank is filled. I've worked on Hondas for the past 20yrs. and even they use oil. A qt. per 1000mi. is considered normal and while most of them don't consume that much a city driven vehicle will often be a quart or more low after a few thousand miles. Every car is different and your mileage will vary,And it is after all your car and your responsibility.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
jkmj
Neutral
2007 mini cooper s - burns oil

bought a used 2007 cooper s. - 4 months ago from penske mercedes -west covina -my 1st Mini with 39000 miles

took it to Ontario Mini , Ca - changed Oil & coolant flush
@ about 41000 miles

had no idea i need to check oil level on a fairly low mileage car.

little rattling noise @ start UP around 43000 miles .

check engine light & low oil warning light came on , on the way to work @ 44000 miles
turn around came home . finally check oil- no oil on dip stick- added oil started the car again, engine made awful clunking noise & massive oil spill all over my drive way ! now looking for a used engine to buy.
This place call LOW MILEAGE ENGINE in Memphis. anyone dealt with them before?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkmj
bought a used 2007 cooper s. - 4 months ago from penske mercedes -west covina -my 1st Mini with 39000 miles

took it to Ontario Mini , Ca - changed Oil & coolant flush
@ about 41000 miles

had no idea i need to check oil level on a fairly low mileage car.

little rattling noise @ start UP around 43000 miles .

check engine light & low oil warning light came on , on the way to work @ 44000 miles
turn around came home . finally check oil- no oil on dip stick- added oil started the car again, engine made awful clunking noise & massive oil spill all over my drive way ! now looking for a used engine to buy.
This place call LOW MILEAGE ENGINE in Memphis. anyone dealt with them before?
The 2007 engines seem to be the most problematic. Yes, you have to check the oil on MINIs, often. Yours went 3,000 miles without checking, so it could have been three quarts low. It could also have had a slow leak. That's really sad, though, and I'm sorry that you are in this bad situation.

Don't have the work done at a dealer, though.. find a good MINI mechanic. Miniworx in Laguna Hills is good. At least call them for an estimate. They are used by people in our club and are reliable and fair. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
mini562
2nd Gear
Just my 2 cents here, I once had a 2007 cooper s I picked up used from a dealer lot. I was told by the club to check my oil often so I checked it.. Good thing I did because the dipstick was dry as a bone. I freaked the f out after the stick finally started seeing oil after 2 quarts. I ended up putting almost four quarts of oil in it. Shortly after I ended up getting a new mini after that and other expensive issues.. My new Mini just had its first service by the dealer and it took half a quart in 13000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Quick Reply: low oil level 4k mi' after oil change