Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Gas light on even though tank is full

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas light on even though tank is full

Well, this is depressing. I've had this brand new car for a whole week now and already having problems.

While driving home tonight two warning lights came on in my tach:
1) The gas light came on, with an arrow pointing to it.
2) The triangle containing an exclamation point was also there, but I don't know if they came on at the same time or not.

I don't know what #2 was for but I figured it was related to #1. I still had most of a tank left but just to see what would happen I went ahead and filled it up again. It took another 6 gallons. The gas light is still on but the triangle went away.

Pics are from after I filled up again.

Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas as to what's wrong? I'm supposed to take a trip in this thing tomorrow and now I'm anxious that I'm going to have to take it to the shop instead.

Attached Thumbnails Gas light on even though tank is full-img_0736.jpg   Gas light on even though tank is full-img_0737.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 AM
N666BK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Danae,
Maybe I am missing something here but I do not see any problem with your indication as per pictures.
I would say take your trip and do not worry. Somebody thinks different?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
So are you telling me the light in the lower part of my tach that looks like a little gas pump symbol is supposed to be on all the time?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Press the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. The icon is showing your miles til empty.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
RTFM - The manual will explain each of these icons an why they are there.

Int he first picture it is correct and this symbol actually means something MUCH difference than what you think it means.

It means that you have 431 miles left to drive on the tank before it is empty. You will notice that the number 431 will change (get lower) in that screen as you drive more and then when you fill up it will go back up to 400 or more.

Do as minidrivr said and it will change.

You really need to read the manual so that you know what to expect and what the all the symbols mean that can be displayed as there are many of them and some mean good things and some mean impending disaster.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
I am perfectly aware of what the numbers mean. It is the symbol that is in question. And I did read the manual, as a matter of fact. I researched these symbols while parked at the gas station topping off my tank. Rather than alleviating my concerns, it elevated them.

To wit:

The fuel symbol in question is listed at the top of page 139 in my 2010 Owner's manual. Next to the symbol it says:
"Lights up briefly: Approx 2.1 US Gallons of fuel remain in the tank.
Remains on: Cruising range is no more than 30 miles."

So, again, my question is, why is this symbol constantly on when I have a FULL TANK OF GAS and over 400 miles left on my range???

Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Also, before it gets lost in the shuffle, I still have this odd situation with the exclamation point/triangle symbol being on for a while and then disappearing after I filled the tank. The manual said that symbol means service is due -- but that seems awfully odd after only a week. Any thoughts there would be appreciated, too.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Danae
So, again, my question is, why is this symbol constantly on when I have a FULL TANK OF GAS and over 400 miles left on my range???
Because it is the symbol that indicates that you are displaying estimated range on the tank. When ever you cycle through the multi function display to range on tank it will show that.

The "fill me now " symbol is a big fuel pump that takes up the entire display that is showing the time and temp in your photo.

Last edited by OWG; 12-11-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
NCLE
1st Gear
I think the big problem here is your motoring advisor did not show you how to operate the multi function display. Like everyone here is saying what you are seeing on your display is normal.
But I would have a word with your Mini dealer and Mini USA for not showing you how to operate the display. Also you might want to show you dissatisfaction on your intial satisfaction survey from Mini.

Happy Motoring

Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
OK, your triangle with the exlamation point between the odometer and the trip meter is telling you there is a check control message. It could mean a million things like low fuel, low temp outside, low washer fluid, etc...It is telling you to check the messages through the onboard computer. Check your owners manual on how to do this.

The small fuel pump message with the arrow is telling you the distance until empty.

The large fuel pump symbol on the speedometer is just telling you that's the gas gauge. The pump will turn from orange to red when you are on reserve. The last two bars will also turn to red. That is your low fuel warning. The red. You will also get the check control triangle which is stored in the check messages as low fuel and whatever else is in there.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
The fuel symbol in question is listed at the top of page 139 in my 2010 Owner's manual. Next to the symbol it says:
This is the HUGE fuel pump symbol that will replace the outside temperature and time on the upper display, not the lower display or on the speedometer. Same display for MPH if you have selected that to display all the time when driving on the upper display.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE

What my manual tells me is that it shows up in position #2 and if you look at the diagram it shows that position #2 is the one that is square in shape just below the needle center point and above the long rectangle display. It also tells me to refer to another page toward the front of the manual that explains the long rectangle display features. it is located in my manual under COMPUTER* Display in tachometer.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I'm sure that in just a few minutes, Danae will apologize to all of you helpful souls for his misreading of the manual...maybe.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Ok, I just got back from my day trip and I see I've been both educated and castigated while I was out.

I get it now and I see where all my confusion originated from. I could take the easy way out and blame it on my MA but I won't, because it isn't his fault. He was great. We did go through the displays and how to access various settings, etc. We didn't talk about the tach's gas symbol or the Check Control symbol, but he can't be expected to explain every little thing that could conceivably show up.

So this is partly a situation of a new owner on a learning curve and, frankly, a manual that could use a lot of help in the tech writing department. The writers at MINI should have realized how easy it is to confuse the symbol on page 139 with the other gas symbol (especially if, like me, you don't intend to ever let the gauge get too low). Same goes for the similarity between the "service due" symbol on page 140 and the Check Control triangle. As for me, I apologize for not comprehending the situation sooner. And if I sounded snippy at any point. I was stressed about this potential problem with my brand new car and thought I was hearing a touch of unnecessary attitude.

Thanks to those of you who were patient in explaining what I needed to know. I am sure all of you have long been familiar with all the Mini eccentricities and with the tricky parts of the learning process, to the point where it is easy to forget the learning curve involved for a new owner. So, again, thanks to those of you who displayed patience and kindly provided me with the assistance I needed. I appreciate your help very much.

Happy motoring,
Danae

Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
All that said, the Check Control light came back on again towards the end of my trip tonight and stayed on until I got home. I then went into Check Info, which displayed "Check OK" and cleared the light. I am still left wondering what the heck that was all about. Is this normal, to get random Check Control lights for no apparent reason?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:18 AM
009Mini
3rd Gear
You'll get used to and understand the little triangle eventually. I have about 17k miles on mine and still occasionally misinterpret what it is telling me. Just last week, mine was showing 2000 miles due to service and I assumed it was the oil change. Then I started getting the large red triangle at start up, so I assumed it was due now. However, once I got to the dealer, he checked it and it came up as some state inspection service interval... he cleared it and reset it for about 60000 miles since TN does not do vehicle inspections. And they changed the oil anyway.

Now it shows 8000 miles to new brakes... I think.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Danae,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger (I'm showing my age) when it comes to the owner's manual. My wife's VW New Beetle manual (also a German company) was awful...the English translations were fine, but the organization was incomprehensible. There must be some basic difference in how Germans think about things and how we here think about them...

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
All that said, the Check Control light came back on again towards the end of my trip tonight and stayed on until I got home. I then went into Check Info, which displayed "Check OK" and cleared the light. I am still left wondering what the heck that was all about. Is this normal, to get random Check Control lights for no apparent reason?
That little check triangle can come on for something like 40 different things including things like it is now 37 degrees out side or lower, low, windshield fluid etc. and many other strange things that really mean nothing. If it is a real problem you need to really be concerned about it will tell you in yellow or red in the upper display window of the tach.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
xkot
3rd Gear
As told by a MINI tech solid yellow mean keep an eye on it. Flashing yellow or red needs attention. Goes for all the lights on the dash.