Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009 | 12:27 PM
favelas
|
Neutral
Door Problems

I was wondering if anybody had experienced their passenger door not being able to open from the inside AND the outside? The central locking works (to my knowledge) and the door lock pin moved up and down when unlocked and locked accordingly. But the damn door won't open????

This makes it pretty hard to get the door panel off with the door being closed.

Any advide would be much appreciated. (R50 mini cooper 02)

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2009 | 01:35 PM
papa-j
1st Gear
My 04 MCS did this a few weeks ago. Not sure if it is related, but I think my son was squeezing the handle when I unlocked the doors. We couldn't get passenger door to open after a few unlock cycles and even using the inner pull handle so took another vehicle. The pin would go up and down so it was confusing.

Later that day I went through the normal opening routine and it worked ok....and has ever since.

Steps and conditions:
-10 F outside
Car opened with primary key transmitter.
Car was started using a secondary key and left running to warm up.
Car locked manually with primary key while running.
10 mins later Opened car manually with primary key
Unlocked doors with toggle switch (..when son was opening door..)
Passenger door wouldn't open. Many things tried.
Shut down car.
Take the Mazda instead
Later Open all doors with primary key transmitter.
Door works fine

Old 12-30-2009 | 01:44 PM
favelas
|
Neutral
Thanks PAPA-J, now im really confused!
The passenger door hasnt been able to open now for over a week! I thought it might have been due to the cold weather (snow), but its all melted now and the temperature has perked up to about 3 to 5 degrees, so i guess i can rule out it being frozen!

Old 12-30-2009 | 02:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by favelas
I was wondering if anybody had experienced their passenger door not being able to open from the inside AND the outside? The central locking works (to my knowledge) and the door lock pin moved up and down when unlocked and locked accordingly. But the damn door won't open????

This makes it pretty hard to get the door panel off with the door being closed.

Any advide would be much appreciated. (R50 mini cooper 02)

Thanks.

Simple/cheap explanation....
Maybe your passenger just didn't pull twice on the handle?

OKOK.....so maybe you have something else going on.....
When you locked your doors, did you do it with the key-fob?
There was a warning a bit back....something to the jest if the doors were locked with the key fob button while in the car, it could result in no being able to open the door from the inside....I'm sure if it was posted....might even be in the manual...pretty sure it is......I know I read it. I thought...hm.....that is interesting and odd....more useless facts I guess.
Or it could just be the locking mechanist is failing.....I would check it LUBE and dirt....on the outside, and see if it re-occurs. If you open up the door panel, I would just swap out the mechanism.....but that is just me. If you are experencing some extreeme cold in your area, it is likely the cold/dirt combo is the problem IMO.

Old 12-30-2009 | 02:22 PM
favelas
|
Neutral
Thanks Zippy, I used the key fob to lock the door as per usual. The lock door pin moved up and down when i unlcok / lock the door using the fob, but the door is jammed?
I havent taken the door panel off yet, simply bcus its quite difficult with the door being closed. But i guess i dont have much choice.

Old 12-30-2009 | 06:26 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I know there was a recall on door handles....the old style ones froze in cold temps...they were swapped out to a newer style...I don't remember the exact difference, but I think you can tell the difference by the shape of the part you squeeze....any-chance of letting the car sit in a garage with heat, or maybe leaving an elettric heater in the car overnight?? You might need to get a TowTruck Driver to pop the door with a slimjim (manually unlock it with a long, slim metal rod, than when used, can cause the problem you have)....with the location of the screws on the door, I'm not sure you can access them with the door closed. Safe to say you have tried the toggles a few times, alternating with pulled the door handle 2 time? You only need to get lucky 1 time to pop it open!!
Good-luck!!