Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rattles Galor

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010 | 09:18 AM
GreyProphetMini
|
1st Gear
Rattles Galor

So ever since it started getting cold outside my 2009 MCS has been rattling and squeaking a ton and it keeps getting worse it seems like its mostly from the rear end but some times I hear it in the front as well. Anyone have any idea what its from? Will adding bracing to the car help any?

Old 01-01-2010 | 11:33 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Are you talking interior rattles, or under the car?

Lose the runflats, that should help prevent further issues.

Old 01-01-2010 | 11:37 AM
GreyProphetMini
|
1st Gear
It sounds like its interior but hard to say, I have snow tires on so no run flats.

Old 01-01-2010 | 11:50 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
Do you have the dual sunroof? I had a bunch of noises too as it got colder and all I did was pull the sunshades across the sunroofs and that eliminated most of the noise.

If you look at the design of the sunroofs and the sunshades, the front sunshade slides backwards towards the back seat and the back sunroof shade slides forward towards the front seats. I have a feeling that as the sunshades are pushed back into the storage compartment they might rub on each other and that might cause some of the noises.

Just a thought.

Old 01-01-2010 | 11:53 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Rattles or squeaks? Once it gets really cold, every car has a lot of weird squeaks and interior gronking, and the stiffer the ride of the car and the less interior soft surfaces, the worse it is. I'd turn up the stereo rather than drive yourself crazy worrying about it. It will get quieter when it gets warmer again. Or get a Lexus which will still be squeaky in cold weather, but much less so.

- Mark

Old 01-01-2010 | 12:34 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
I've found two rattles that bugged me.

The rear seatbelts seem find ways to rattle if left unbuckled. I buckle them when the seat is empty and it seems to eliminate one rattle. The second seems to have been something with the little jack/lugwrench package under the rear floor. I put a thin sheet of foam rubber (came out of a shipping box) over the tools between the tools and the little floor cover. It seems to have helped.

The only other rattle that I can't seem to isolate is from the driver's side sunvisor.

But like Kevin says, the runflats seem to be shaking the car to death over rough pavement, especially when the temperature drops. I borrowed a set of nonRF tires from a neighbor (we have four Minis in my subdivision). I'm convinced that the RFs cause a whole bunch of issues with the car. Putting non Rfs on made it seem like I had tightened very bolt in the car. Non Rfs, probably Grid 19s, will be my first major change to the car.

Old 01-02-2010 | 07:37 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I have runflats and the sport suspension...super rough I tell ya! This winter my boot area is having some nasty squeaks and rattles. Next time I go into the dealer I am going to complain about it. Last year I took it in numerous times for rattles. They fixed all of them! They have known issues for most of them, like my door panel they had a "fix kit" for it. The overhead switch console has a known problem where the underside ring is not attached and rattles.

My sunroof shades also rattle, so I pull them forward about an inch to stop them.

My dash creaks really bad from the driver side window vent area. I went it and shoved felt tape between all of the seems and panels in that area. It helped a bit, but when it gets cold here it starts creaking again.