Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

water leaks into car at doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 08:32 PM
mini-bmr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the wife went to mac's this am she said the rain rolled off of the roof and into her lap. I noticed when I went to look at the problem water was trapped between the door and the seal. when I opened the door and closed it the water went spashing inside of the car. does anyone make a plastic gutter or wind deverter to fix this..

yellow/ blk

Old 09-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
I have the same problem with my MINI, but it only seems to happen when I use a high pressue hose to spray off the car. Any fix to this problem would be appreciated. (Before you say it -"Don't spray water at the windows&quot :evil:

Old 01-04-2003, 12:13 AM
SouthSeaSadie
3rd Gear
Please, please, someone make some plastic rain gutters!!! I live in Hawaii, where it rains most every day and I'm sick of opening the door and a bunch of water landing in my lap.
The Aussies always made lots of this type of thing (great for humid/rainy climates) and I'm hoping they'll come up with them.
Meanwhile, I look at minivans that have them with envy.

Old 01-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Welcome to MCO SouthSeaSadie. It's nice to see there are other local motorers out there. I sent you a PM. Would like to know more about the H2O problem, as our MINI will be here soon. Motor on!! :smile: :smile:

Old 01-04-2003, 04:22 AM
jsun
6th Gear
You know, I posted about this way back in the fall but the feedback I received from the community was that it either wasn't a problem for them or that I had a broken car :evil: (just so you know this isn't just a Hawaii problem)

Old 01-06-2003, 09:49 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Moving this to Beneath the Bonnet as it may get some more appropriate feedback.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:01 AM
MINIHOLLAND
2nd Gear
>>when the wife went to mac's this am she said the rain rolled off of the roof and into her lap. I noticed when I went to look at the problem water was trapped between the door and the seal. when I opened the door and closed it the water went spashing inside of the car. does anyone make a plastic gutter or wind deverter to fix this..
>>
>>yellow/ blk

maybe this site can help you??Clim air

Old 01-06-2003, 10:03 AM
MINI_S_ALL_BLACK
1st Gear
This was a problem in the 2002's. There was no weather stripping put in the proper places. I think if you take it to your dealer, they will apply the stripping for you, but don't quote me on that.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:05 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've experienced this problem as well, albeit not much since I won't be commuting in my MINI until February,and for now it only comes out in nice weather if I can help it... As has been said, I think this is just bad design, not a problem with any specific car. It doesn't appear to be avoidable.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:24 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>This was a problem in the 2002's. There was no weather stripping put in the proper places. I think if you take it to your dealer, they will apply the stripping for you, but don't quote me on that.

That's very interesting MINI_S_ALL_BLACK...did you have this done? If so, about where was the extra weatherstripping put? Assuming my dealer gives me the big "Gee, I don't know about that" shrug, it would help to have some specific pointers. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2003, 10:01 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That makes some sense. I haven't had this problem, and, this one time, at band camp, I drove mine in the rain. My car is one of the later 2002s, so I'm now thinking that there is something to the new weather stripping.

Randy

Old 01-08-2003, 02:11 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
With a 20002 MCS, I've never had a leak. I wash the car regularly and have been in several hurricane type storms.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:31 AM
jsun
6th Gear
(ok, here we go again ) The problem IS NOT A LEAK! The complaint is that water comes into the car when you open the door or roll down the window after getting the car very wet. This isn't a leak, but is rather the result of ineffective drip chanels (gutters, whatever you want to call 'em) and poorly designed weatherstrips. If properly designed, the function of both of these is to divert water from the doors and windows so that when you open either there's not a big puddle of water ready to slosh into the car and/or there's nothing dripping into your lap.

I've just learned to live with this...but I do think it's worth pointing out as an area where the engineering could be improved in future models. Aftermarket shields that keep water away from the door and window openings would help (and this is what the orignal poster on this thread was asking about), if you can abide by their look.

BTW, this is just about my only engineering complaint about the MINI (other problems all relate to quality control and materials quality. So it's indeed minor, but still annoying.