Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Check gas Cap Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
DrewBob
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check gas Cap Light

My "Check Gas Cap" light has started coming on after i drive about 15 miles. It is always off when I start but always comes on. I replaced the gas cap and I am still getting the light. I found an earlier thread where a mini was doing the same thing but they never posted a solution.
Any ideas?
Thanks

05 cooper S with 45,000 miles

Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i had the same problem ended up getting a new cap and had the dealer clear
the hard fault that had latched to the ecu hope this helps

Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
nigelthecooper
2nd Gear
Have been having the same problem. No light when I start off, comes on after about 15mi, then shuts off. Service engine soon light came on as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 AM
DrewBob
Neutral
found the problem.
I remembered that I had a 4 wheel alignment done about the time the light started. I took the can back to Big O who did the allignment and we put it on the lift. Sure enough one of the plastic lines coming out of the vapor canister was snapped off.
Big O refuses to fix it because I can't prove they broke it even though it was where they were working.
At least I know what it is. I'm betting there is no way to fix it without buying a canister which I am sure is very dear to Mini
Thanks for the help

Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
djmatthewcooper
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nigelthecooper, have you had any luck finding out what the problem was? My Mini just threw a code at me "check filler cap". Then after driving it and starting it again it went away and now "service engine soon" lights is on. Any ideas? I changed my valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket a few days ago.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Minihockey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DrewBob
found the problem.
I remembered that I had a 4 wheel alignment done about the time the light started. I took the can back to Big O who did the allignment and we put it on the lift. Sure enough one of the plastic lines coming out of the vapor canister was snapped off.
Big O refuses to fix it because I can't prove they broke it even though it was where they were working.
At least I know what it is. I'm betting there is no way to fix it without buying a canister which I am sure is very dear to Mini
Thanks for the help
I had been having the same problem with mine also. Took it to the shop and they found the tabs on the evap canister was broken off. I to had also had it worked on not long ago.
325.00 for the canister and 85 to change it.
What did it cost to have your replaced?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Raley
Neutral
Charcoal Canister Issue

I also had a 4 wheel alignment done at Big O' tires and my check gas cap light appeared, low tire light and then check engine light. After my second visit to have lights checked into and reset, found out my lines to my charcoal canister were broken. Beware if you go anywhere other than mini authorized dealer - these cars have special needs and in the end you may end up just spending more money, by trying to save money by going to a non dealer.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 PM
minicoopers2011
Neutral
Check gas Cap Light

I barely have my car for a year and my check engine light went on 5 times already!!! first four times the tech believe the gas cap was loosen to cause the problem! I have to fill my gas each week there is no way it can happened or it would happened alot more times! On the fourth time they replaced the gas cap and some little component in the tank and they return the car to me.. and at that point I contacted MINIUSA and request for a repurchase (they tried to brag me first before trying to fix me car) however they believe it's fix! until two weeks later the light went back ON again!!!!
This time I returned the auto back to my dealership right away and I contacted the MINIUSA and she told me they won't repurchase my auto because based on the work order, its shown "gas cap loosen" so the lady BLAMES ME FOR IT! That was the worst customer service.. EVER! She didn't even care if I need a lawyer involve. FINE BY ME!

I'm here because i wanted to know if other people have same issue like this and has it ever resolved????

Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM
EddyM
1st Gear
Have just come across this thread and had the same problem several years ago. I have a couple of photos I took at the time to show what my problem was and how simple it was to fix it, but don't know how to post photos on this board. If someone will tell me how to post photos, I'll do so, which I think will help you understand.

Quick explanation is that I had the car in for service at Markel MINI in Omaha. For whatever reason, during the service they disconnected one of the vacuum lines from the gas tank to the engine bay. The disconnect was in the engine bay, and everything that was involved was black and hard to follow absent really bright light. Once I finally found the line that was adrift, it wasn't hard to fix it. I think that's the first thing you should probably check (you can simply plug it back in by yourself in about five seconds), and if that doesn't correct the problem (you'll probably need a code reader to reset any error codes that have been thrown), then you can look for broken lines and connectors.

Basically, what happened to me was that the line was allowing the car's attempt to slightly pressurize the tank to come to naught, and that's what triggered the warning about the gas cap being loose (which, if true, will also keep the car from slightly pressurizing the tank).