Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP..how to change 05 daytime running light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP..how to change 05 daytime running light?

hey all, one of my daytime running light have pop..i am trying to replace it but having diffculty. .. i pop up the hod and the headlight assembly is on the bonnet which is a pain the ***....i took out the connector and i seee 3 prong thta is holding the bulb in place..i try to pry one by one using a screwdriver but does not work.. how do u do it?

PLESE HELP....

i hope i dun have ot go to dealership just to change a light bulb..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Even if you have xenon's, the bulb is a standard halogen high-beam bulb, run on lower voltage. It sounds like you are trying to remove the wrongbulb! I'm not by my car now to look, but something about your description sounds off....it should just twist if I remember right.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I think you have halogen lights as that sounds like you are actually tugging on the three prongs at the base of your bulb ! STOP - Don't do that ! Both your high and low beam bulbs are H7 bulbs. Good to know if you have a low beam burn out it can easily be transferred to the other slot in a pinch. I dont think you have the clips but maybe you can post a pic. Sometime after 04/05 the way the bulb is retained in the housing changed. For your's I believe this what you have to do.

Hold the connector along with the back side of the bulb (single grip) and tilt the whole assembly upward (push it upward). The lamp will give way and come loose from the bracket and you can pull out the lamp. In some case side to side jiggling may be necessary to dislodge the bulb from its seating. Now you can remove the old bulb from the connector and fit a new H7 bulb in the connector. Hold the connector with the bulb and insert the bulb into the bracket, aligning the top portion first and then pressing forward the whole bulb in position. Look at the bulb from the head lamp side. There should be almost no gap between the bulb body and the reflector.

Be sure not to touch the new bulbs with your bare hands. Oil left will boil a hot spot on the bulb glass and it will burn out fairly quckly.

Not sure if it's your High beam or low beam for the DRL's, but it is best to replace them in pairs. Either both high or both low which ever applies.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 02-10-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
calicoop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend just bought a 2006 S and one daytime running light is out, where would she buy the replacement bulbs? Can it be changed the same way as the '05?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by calicoop
My friend just bought a 2006 S and one daytime running light is out, where would she buy the replacement bulbs? Can it be changed the same way as the '05?
Yes '06 is the same as '05. It is a standard H7 halogen bulb available at any auto parts store.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I think you have halogen lights as that sounds like you are actually tugging on the three prongs at the base of your bulb ! STOP - Don't do that ! Both your high and low beam bulbs are H7 bulbs. Good to know if you have a low beam burn out it can easily be transferred to the other slot in a pinch. I dont think you have the clips but maybe you can post a pic. Sometime after 04/05 the way the bulb is retained in the housing changed. For your's I believe this what you have to do.

Hold the connector along with the back side of the bulb (single grip) and tilt the whole assembly upward (push it upward). The lamp will give way and come loose from the bracket and you can pull out the lamp. In some case side to side jiggling may be necessary to dislodge the bulb from its seating. Now you can remove the old bulb from the connector and fit a new H7 bulb in the connector. Hold the connector with the bulb and insert the bulb into the bracket, aligning the top portion first and then pressing forward the whole bulb in position. Look at the bulb from the head lamp side. There should be almost no gap between the bulb body and the reflector.

Be sure not to touch the new bulbs with your bare hands. Oil left will boil a hot spot on the bulb glass and it will burn out fairly quckly.

Not sure if it's your High beam or low beam for the DRL's, but it is best to replace them in pairs. Either both high or both low which ever applies.
forgot ot say THANKS for the help.... i did it

Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Yes '06 is the same as '05. It is a standard H7 halogen bulb available at any auto parts store.
i bought the silverstar ones but i hate that i had to bend over on my back to change it.. why do they have to put the headlight on the bonnet?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
With silver-stars you will be changing them again soon....they have a veryshort life for a halogen bulb....bright yes...short life is the tradeoff.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
With silver-stars you will be changing them again soon....they have a veryshort life for a halogen bulb....bright yes...short life is the tradeoff.
oh no... i read thta its was goood.. so what shoudl i buy then?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Since they only run for daytime running lights, and for highbeams, you should be fine. On my wifes non mini, silverstars were pretty short lived...bright...I looked at the package, I forget the hours, but it was much shorter than the regular h7 bulb. I bet you will get 2 years or so out of them...just something to consider.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Koreanadian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Silverstars, they really do have short life.
I had them on my old car and it started fading within a year and totally went shortly after.