Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Video of timing chain clatter....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video of timing chain clatter....

I made a post asking about if anyone has had their timing chain repaired and if it fixed the problem. Link here

Someone asked if anyone recorded the noise and since I did a few days ago, here's my video. I didn't want to clutter up the other thread so I'm posting the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpvNMc2KnM

Last edited by orangecrush; 02-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
elpappy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Rattle

Sorry for the spotty cinematography and the dirty engine bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgsmm9k-rjc

Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by elpappy
Sorry for the spotty cinematography and the dirty engine bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgsmm9k-rjc

Man, that's bad.

Have you had it fixed yet?

As far as the video, I'm not sure if you should be slapped more for having a dirty engine bay or letting the butcher that painted your car paint your car.

That's ridiculous that a bodyshop would do that to someone's car. (red overspray EVERYWHERE....)

Back to our regular programming...lol.

Mark

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Okay, I've thought about it... I'm going with slapping the painter.

Mark

Old 02-15-2010, 06:04 PM
elpappy
2nd Gear
On topic: Yes it was fixed last week. I was like "My 1.6 engine sounds like a huge tractor" They said "You get a timing chain." None of this “We have to duplicate the issue” just 30min and I’m good.

Off topic: It's winter and it’s just going to snow every week (Richmond VA) so I let it ride. As for the overspray straight out of BMW...let me know when you can hook me up with the all flat black for a good deal.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by elpappy
On topic: Yes it was fixed last week. I was like "My 1.6 engine sounds like a huge tractor" They said "You get a timing chain." None of this “We have to duplicate the issue” just 30min and I’m good.

Off topic: It's winter and it’s just going to snow every week (Richmond VA) so I let it ride. As for the overspray straight out of BMW...let me know when you can hook me up with the all flat black for a good deal.

So it only took them 30 minutes?? Wow, that's fast. I dropped my car off at the dealer to replace a right sunvisor and two rear fender liners. It only took 3 hours. (which I was thrilled since last time it took them 4 days to replace a windshield)

I take it back about the overspray. Watching the video, the red all over the place looks like the reflection from the red under the hood. I thought it was red overspray.... my bad.

Whatcha want flat black?

Mark

Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Canuck
1st Gear
I need to bring my 2009 in. I'm in Canada and on some days after work when it very cold, it sounds like a valve lifter has been replaced by a sledge hammer. After about a mile of driving, it's fine. The condition is much worse if I park on a lateral incline. By this I mean If I park in this one spot at my office where the passenger side of the car is much higher than the driver side, it will do it even if it's relatively warm ~25degrees F.

I have 5000miles on the car.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My JCW does this too, exact same noise

Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone found a "How To" video on checking/changing and adjusting the timing?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Yeah, the "how to" part of checking is to listen... it's obvious as hell.

The adjusting is even easier. Just cal your dealership and they'll cover it under warranty.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
flintdragon
1st Gear
Can't wait for the Austin MINI dealer to open in 1-2 weeks to get mine fixed though I might wait a few more weeks after that before sending it in. gotta get those new techs some experience first before they work on mine.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Fcal124
2nd Gear
I get the noise you get at idle, but when I rev it up, it's dead quiet. No chain slap whatsoever. Your's is definitely the tensioner.
My noise is coming from the valve cover area and is more likely the HLA's. After about 15 min. it purrs like a kitten.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn Mark that sounds bad

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Fatire
Neutral
Mine sounds exactly like that. I took it to MINI of Murry in SLC Utah to get it repaired, they kept it a week and said they could not duplicate the noise. They did nothing! oh they drove it 45 miles and it had 3 new small rock chips in the hood! that makes a total of four.

Sure it's intermittent but it happens! They actually told me to stay of the internet after I told them about 11-02-07

I hate this dealer for talking down to me. Why would they drive it 45 miles? It has 7000 miles on it and three rock chips and a dealer that says it's normal and or the can't repair it until they can duplicate the noise.

I really do not know if I want this car. I really do not want the only dealer I have within 400 miles

Last edited by Fatire; 02-23-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatire
Mine sounds exactly like that. I took it to MINI of Murry in SLC Utah to get it repaired, they kept it a week and said they could not duplicate the noise. They did nothing! oh they drove it 45 miles and it had 3 new small rock chips in the hood! that makes a total of four.

Sure it's intermittent but it happens! They actually told me to stay of the internet after I told them about 11-02-07

I hate this dealer for talking down to me. Why would they drive it 45 miles? It has 7000 miles on it and three rock chips and a dealer that says it's normal and or the can't repair it until they can duplicate the noise.

I really do not know if I want this car. I really do not want the only dealer I have within 400 miles
It always sucks having an idiot for a dealer. Makes life a lot harder. I'd suggest getting tougher with them. You need them to kiss ur a$$ if they're not going to be nice at the outset

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Fcal124
2nd Gear
I found that if a dealer is still an A$$ after you tried to be patient, a call to Corp. Headquarters helps.
I had a dealer once refuse to do a recall repair on one of my cars because I didn't buy it there. Original dealership moved. One call took care of that. When I returned, they were very happy to take care of me.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I made a post asking about if anyone has had their timing chain repaired and if it fixed the problem. Link here

Someone asked if anyone recorded the noise and since I did a few days ago, here's my video. I didn't want to clutter up the other thread so I'm posting the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpvNMc2KnM
Can you explain something (I haven't followed really) -- the abnormal noise is that secondary tickingishclickityclack, that appears even more as you rev, right? the one that sounds like slap-slap-slap when you're holding the revs constant but a bit higher?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Fcal124
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by isthar
Can you explain something (I haven't followed really) -- the abnormal noise is that secondary tickingishclickityclack, that appears even more as you rev, right? the one that sounds like slap-slap-slap when you're holding the revs constant but a bit higher?
Yeah. It's the noise that sounds like there are a bunch of marbles bouncing around in your motor.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
thanks for posting the video. i just e-Mailed my motoring advisor this video to explain to him one of the few issues i've been having.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To the OP....

How long had your car been doing this?

That's much, much worse than the noise mine made, and they replaced the tensioner as soon as I told them I heard it, no questions asked - that was last April too....

That sounds like it might have been going on for a while now?

Glad you finally got it fixed!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Sue R
Neutral
Please give me some advice about my MCS 07. Three weeks ago my son tells me that the car suddenly sounds like WW II diesel truck. First time after a few trips around the school and mall. Now he hears the engine rattle from a cold start. Well immediately she's on her way to Mini after my local mechanic says this might be bad. Mini tells me it's all his fault. Three weeks prior he redlined it for a second in second coming off hiway in sixth, puts in second instead of 4. They say he relined it the same day we sent it up to Mini. He totally denies this but the computer says so. Car fails the compression test. They have to replace timing chain and sync engine timing for one grand first. Now they have done another five grand of repairs to engine, replace 16 valves at $50 a piece, and 24 hours of labor.
What are your thoughts folks? Did this timing chain or tensioner fail after 30,000 miles and destroy the engine. Mini says it's operator error. I pay $6200. I can't believe it when all you folks telling me your stories.
What am I to do? Corporate was zero help.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sue R
Please give me some advice about my MCS 07. Three weeks ago my son tells me that the car suddenly sounds like WW II diesel truck. First time after a few trips around the school and mall. Now he hears the engine rattle from a cold start. Well immediately she's on her way to Mini after my local mechanic says this might be bad. Mini tells me it's all his fault. Three weeks prior he redlined it for a second in second coming off hiway in sixth, puts in second instead of 4. They say he relined it the same day we sent it up to Mini. He totally denies this but the computer says so. Car fails the compression test. They have to replace timing chain and sync engine timing for one grand first. Now they have done another five grand of repairs to engine, replace 16 valves at $50 a piece, and 24 hours of labor.
What are your thoughts folks? Did this timing chain or tensioner fail after 30,000 miles and destroy the engine. Mini says it's operator error. I pay $6200. I can't believe it when all you folks telling me your stories.
The computer records EVERYTHING. Going into 2nd instead of 4th coming off the highway...yes you can kiss the valves goodbye. Your case has nothing to do with the timing chain tensioner I'm afraid...and it does sound like operator error. You can try turning it into your insurance...but I can't see MINI paying for this at all. The timing chain rattles and cold start rattles have not really been linked to engine failures at all.

Happened to another member on here as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Yup, I'm with Thump on this one. There is no doubt that the tensioner has been faulty. HOWEVER, it's faulty to the point it's noisy, that's all.

Unfortunately, I think in this case, going into second gear probably did the damage. I don't think this is a case of the dealer being stupid, just honest.

Mark

EDIT/UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I took my car in a couple of weeks ago to get the timing chain tensioner replaced and all is well so far... no noise. Seems mini has finally fixed the problem.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sue R
I am with Thumper and OC on this. Redlining is not the issue as much as how much it went much beyond redline with the shift from 6 to 2 gear. Any car will blow the engine with this level of over rev. There is engine fuel cut-off protection with normal reving to redline but there is no engine protection with a 6-2 shift. They probably saw 8000 or 9000 rpms so they know it is a miss shift.

Unfortunately it certainly looks like operator error.

Quick Reply: Video of timing chain clatter....