Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think big deal about the CH11 is that it is resistant to the extreme high heat and pressure. Others may burn.

Paul

Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
It was a reply to someone who said it was OK to use....and I was implying it might not be the best idea to mix it....I think most readers could determine this. I just said my local MINI guy would use it....after a full flush, or pump replacement....(heck..some people are on a very tight budget, and the cost savings for some outweigh the risk, real or perceived, and in some situations...((such as a pump replacement)) it could save a couple $$)....even he, as a mechanic, who sells Amsol products, is not comfortable mixing it!!

What are you adding to the topic by providing bait and trying to start a flame-war? What do you gain?! What are you adding to this site, and these pages that are stored for future readers?!

This is not a contest.....I'm just here trying to help out best I can...I have no EGO to FEED.....and like EVERYBODY here, we are learning, and wading through thousands of pages of knowledge and advise, (...good and bad!! ), while applying our own knowledge and while trying to help fellow MINI drivers with the best info we have!
I try my best not to feed trolls or start flame wars....They are a waste of time, mine yours, the MODS, and the servers, and last but not least every other user here!!
You add a tone to this site that it simply would be nicer without....you instigate arguments that are a useless waste of time, and seem to have a the vindictive, mean streak that appears in many of your posts, aimed at select individuals, including both me, and even a few of the Moderators.
Sometimes you are a helpful member, who can provide invaluable assistance on some threads....why do you flip-flop?!

Wow......not sure what this is about

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigshot

Wow......not sure what this is about
Maybe I was having a bad day and had a short fuse?! I'm glad I didn't get you going Bigshot.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lunnzz
Hey Zippy totally not understanding your reply toward me so please let me know I use Amsoil products and have used them in other vehicles. So not really sure where you are going with your post.
I am currently using Amsoil oil....seems like pretty good stuff, right up there with Redline, Royal Purple, etc.
I was just saying that my local MINI guy, and our Amsoil dealer does say that the synthetic PS fluid that they sell is compatible with the MINI system...the viscosity, etc are all in spec according to Amsoil....but that there is a bit of uncertainty about whether or not the fluids themselves, when combined for the life of the units, without a flush could cause problems.
Our local Amsoil dealer, and my local Mini guy, considering the cost of a new PS rack and the pump itself, considers it to be a good practice to flush the PS system before switching to Amsoil fluid, both to remove contaminants, and to ensure that the two different fluids don't cause any unintended problems due to them mixing.
This to me seems to be smart, considering the $$$$ involved if the rack starts to leak due to seal problems, or if the pump fails.....remember...AMSOIL states that the fluid is compatible with the MINI PS system.....not Compatible with CHF-11s fluid.

"Pentosin CHF 11S is the only power steering fluid approved for the MINI. Although the power steering fluid in the MINI is a 'lifetime' fluid and does not require replacement, there are times when you might lose some fluid and need to refill. Use this correct fluid! Comes in a 1 liter can. PENTOSIN CHF 11S is a synthetic high performance hydraulic fluid for life-time application in modern vehicle aggregates. It is suitable for all extreme conditions and guarantees full performance from -40°C to over 130°C system temperature.
Notes:
The power steering system is permanently filled and does not have a drain. Routinely adding hydraulic fluid is not required unless the system is leaking.
The MINI power steering system is filled with Pentosin CHF 11S hydraulic fluid. DO NOT top up with ATF or other types of steering fluid. Mixing hydraulic fluid types will damage the seals in the steering system and cause them to leak.
Hydraulic fluid is a hazardous substance. Be sure to follow local, regional and federal guidelines for disposing of hazardous materials.
Pentosin CHF 11S Data Sheet."
(http://new.minimania.com/web/item/NME7249/InvDetail.cfm)

The bold part says it all IMO!! Add to the fact, that a few folks that fix ours cars for a living seem to agree.....I defer to their judgment.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
IMO you did a diservice by suggesting that you could substitute the Amsoil product for the product req'd by MINI. There is no proof offered except the statement from your Amsoil guy that it is compatable. The Pentosin is not that expensive that anyone should consider using another questionable product.

I, and some other folks, have had problems understanding some of your posts as they tend not to have a lot of punctuation. It would really help if you could try to be a bit more consise with your posts. Sometimes they tend to ramble.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
jlkansascity
Neutral
Actually, if you look up your Mini in the Amsoil online Application Guide, it does spec a specfic synthetic oil for the power steering fluid in a Mini. I would not hesitate to use the product specificed by Amsoil for that use; they research and test these applications so if it's listed in the guide it would work fine.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
IMO you did a diservice by suggesting that you could substitute the Amsoil product for the product req'd by MINI. There is no proof offered except the statement from your Amsoil guy that it is compatable. The Pentosin is not that expensive that anyone should consider using another questionable product.

I, and some other folks, have had problems understanding some of your posts as they tend not to have a lot of punctuation. It would really help if you could try to be a bit more consise with your posts. Sometimes they tend to ramble.
I did not post it...a different poster said it was shown on the website as compatible...I was replying to HIS post about mixing Amsoil fluid with the Mini stuff.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
And I would still suggest that the OEM req'd fluid is really the only one you should use, regardless of what Amsoil says. They are in the business of selling product not safeguarding your car. Try to find any info on what spec's their oil meets.........they say it can be used where certain oils are recommended, but say nothing about the actual spec's the oils meet.

If there is independent testing that shows the Amsoil product is equivalent, then use it. But you will be using it at your own risk.

Funny as the same power steering fluid is ok for all cars listed........

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Post #12

Originally Posted by Lunnzz
Off to Napa I only added a bit so I am sure it will be fine for two more days then I'll drain and refill will give me an excuse to be in the garage. Swapped out fluid for correct fluid there still is some in the lines but I never added enough to make a difference. [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Amsoil Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid per their site works in our cars.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/psf.aspx
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
See post #12...quoted for easy reading......

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
jlkansascity
Neutral
The Amsoil online Application guide does list a power steering fluid when you use the aplication guide to look up your Mini. But, like Bigshot says, if you look at the product info sheet, it does not specifically list the CH-11 spec. I have emailed Amsoil tech support to see if they have any additional information. The specific specs mentioned for the Amsoil synthetic ATF are;

AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid meets or exceeds motor vehicle specifications for use in GM, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Saab, Subaru and Audi applications.
  • Ford 9M2C138-CJ, M2C33-F & ESW-M2C128-C&D
  • Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 & TL-52146
  • GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Systems
  • DaimlerChrysler MS1872 & MS5931F
  • American Motor Corporation C4124
  • Navistar TMS 6810
  • Acura/Honda
  • Mercedes Benz
  • Saab
  • Subaru
  • Audi
I'll post anything I get back from tech support.

Hope this helps,
JL

Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update JK!!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
.....and it also lists the same product for every car I searched for, domestic and foreign.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jlkansascity
The Amsoil online Application guide does list a power steering fluid when you use the aplication guide to look up your Mini. But, like Bigshot says, if you look at the product info sheet, it does not specifically list the CH-11 spec. I have emailed Amsoil tech support to see if they have any additional information. The specific specs mentioned for the Amsoil synthetic ATF are;

AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid meets or exceeds motor vehicle specifications for use in GM, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Saab, Subaru and Audi applications.
  • Ford 9M2C138-CJ, M2C33-F & ESW-M2C128-C&D
  • Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 & TL-52146
  • GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Systems
  • DaimlerChrysler MS1872 & MS5931F
  • American Motor Corporation C4124
  • Navistar TMS 6810
  • Acura/Honda
  • Mercedes Benz
  • Saab
  • Subaru
  • Audi
I'll post anything I get back from tech support.

Hope this helps,
JL
Wish I saw this thread yesterday. I was with their Rep for about an hr.....

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Thanks for the update JK!!
A new member doing leg-work!! I like that!! Thanks JK!! That info will be better than a 10 page thread arguing!!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
I believe the reason why Pentosin CHF 11S is recommended is for its ability to maintain propery viscosity under high heat conditions.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
A new member doing leg-work!! I like that!! Thanks JK!! That info will be better than a 10 page thread arguing!!

How do you figure......it's just more uncorroborated info from Amsoil.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
How do you figure......it's just more uncorroborated info from Amsoil.
So would you use any of the aftermarket fluids in your MINI systems, ( brake, coolant, tranny ) or just the stuff the MINI Service Dept sells......

Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Catwelder
Neutral
The O'Riley's Auto parts near me carries the Pentosin for $19.95. It's kinda like **** or drugs, they keep it in back and you have to ask for it !

Old 07-25-2010, 03:01 AM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intersting,

I bought my 2003 cooper s with 62.000 miles on it, Shorty after this i changed, all the fluids, ( working for a dealership i have most every thing i need )

Well i grabbed the power steering flush machine, ran about a gallon of the valvoline flush fluid that come in the kit, then about 2 quarts of their Max life Synthetic fluid

Didnt think nothing of it, At the time My valvoline assumed it was compatable,

Well about 6 or 8 months later i started reading about the Pentosin thing,
And had a BMW Tech say i would burn up the pump,

So i bought a Gallon of Pentosin CHF 11S ran it in the flush machine, and filled the system,

Well, Now im just over a 100.000, about 10 to 12 track days, -20 below Wyoming winters,
And my pump is still happy, I am thinking it didn't know a differnce

I guess i have same feeling about supercharger oil, Just over rated stuff
I looked up the case, msds numbers on the side of the supercharger oil, Its pretty lame stuff, maybe i should do the same with the pentosin, if i only had a bottle of it still

I might get some Oh no's and some you should of had for posting this,

Guess ill see what happens before i post what i used for supercharger oil?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dhabutcher
Intersting,

I bought my 2003 cooper s with 62.000 miles on it, Shorty after this i changed, all the fluids, ( working for a dealership i have most every thing i need )

Well i grabbed the power steering flush machine, ran about a gallon of the valvoline flush fluid that come in the kit, then about 2 quarts of their Max life Synthetic fluid

Didnt think nothing of it, At the time My valvoline assumed it was compatable,

Well about 6 or 8 months later i started reading about the Pentosin thing,
And had a BMW Tech say i would burn up the pump,

So i bought a Gallon of Pentosin CHF 11S ran it in the flush machine, and filled the system,

Well, Now im just over a 100.000, about 10 to 12 track days, -20 below Wyoming winters,
And my pump is still happy, I am thinking it didn't know a differnce

I guess i have same feeling about supercharger oil, Just over rated stuff
I looked up the case, msds numbers on the side of the supercharger oil, Its pretty lame stuff, maybe i should do the same with the pentosin, if i only had a bottle of it still

I might get some Oh no's and some you should of had for posting this,

Guess ill see what happens before i post what i used for supercharger oil?
dhabutcher,
Hi neighbor. So good to hear that things with your MINI have gone well. I've been reading here since I got my MINI in Jan. and I can't help but notice that troubles seem to exist for some, no matter, or aside, from whichever fluid for whatever aplication, is used.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Some people get away with using improper fluid/tires etc. Does that mean its ok to use?

Should we experiment wit 20k+ vehicles and our lives to save a few bucks in power steering fluid?

Unless valvoline says their fluid is a replacement or meets the same standards I wouldn't put any weight in the fact "you got away with it "

Paul

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Is there a proper level for power steering fluid? How do you check the level? Can you over fill it?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Burno
2nd Gear
Ive just started experiencing problems with my PS pump looked through here and decided to get me some chf 11s because res was really low... Let me tell ya . NAPA , AutoZone , Oreilleys , and every other tom **** and harry auto store in the state of louisiana dosent carry the stuff much less ever heard of it. One guy at NAPA couldnt for the life of it understand what i was saying CHF_11S about 15 times. Its Sunday and i wanted to drive now i have to wait till the BMW dealer opens and the one close to me dosent deal with minis. Hope they have it because cant drive car 60+ miles to Mini dealer...
These Cars are too everything specific. All this lifetime this and that nonsense is killing me. Nobody carries anything for my car ( wait I can buy oil at most places ) locally. Driving me crazy but I still love my mini

Old 07-25-2010, 11:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Most VW dealers sell it too!! So it might save you a drive, or just order it on-line!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Just got mine at Napa. But how low is low? The little stick on the cap has 3 notches. Whats is bad and what is good?

Quick Reply: power steering fluid