Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*

I've been getting the playing card in bicycle spokes noise for the past few weeks and finally pulled the liner to look at my damper. To my knowledge this is the original 2002 damper with 78000 miles on it. It has this what looks like a crack pretty much around the entire pulley, but I can't really tell if it's just the seam between the metal and rubber or if it's a crack causing the noise.

I also noticed that when the car is running, the damper doesn't look completely straight. Comparing it to the other pulleys in the system, it kind of wobbles very, very slightly. It looks as if it was a photo that's not completely in focus, the edges kind of blur, I would say less than 1/16". Probably more like 1/32".

How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-ojmad.jpg
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-n9rgt.jpg
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-cysow.jpg

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
get a haynes manual and an ati super damper and do it yourself .

Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
I'm definitely going to do it myself, seems like an easy swap. I'm going to follow this tutorial:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oem-tools.html

I'm just curious as to whether the current damper looks ok or if it needs changing. I just want to be positive that it's making the noise.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
looks pretty normal from my house

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Such a quandary. The visible wobble when rotating would bother me. Sad part is you won't really know if it's going bad until it explodes and damages everything else nearby. I went the lightweight Alta 2% route 45,000 miles ago but wouldn't necessarily recommend that. There are a couple nice (and spendy) dampener crank pulleys out there or go to the later model OEM. Don't put the '02 version back on. There are some threads on the subject here and there.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
If your going to replace it definetly get the new ATI damper, they are lighter and much more reliable. I've installed a bunch no problems.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/super-d...ulley-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Cheapest 05/06 damper I've found is around $360 and the ATI is $400.

I'm curious as to the longevity of the ATI though. It seems like a fairly new product...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
i think ati has been around for quite some timeand have a great racing pedigree . they just applied known good tech. to the construction of the minis' damper .

Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
That's what I figured. I've heard nothing but good things on other applications, so the Mini should really be the same. Looks like it's time to take the $400 dive...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
newbs49
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save youself money and call Jan @ RMW. He has a crank pulley that will do the job and save you money. It's a fluid damper, that will do the same job as the ATI and put$$$$ back in your pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Just ordered an ATI from WMW. While the current damper doesn't look excessively worn, the vibration really worries me, I feel it is putting unnecessary stress on my bearings. I also ordered a redesigned belt tensioner tool on ebay for $65. Just need to rent a crowsfoot puller from Autozone now.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
awsome man . i can say without doubt if you were gettin' the card in spokes noise "that damper was junk" . so good on you for pulling the trigger .

Old 02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
any basic three hole puller will do just get the proper bolts . also you will need the proper threaded rod . 12mm i think but get a haynes manual . maybe 40.00 bucks . i worked with a guy that put dampers back on with plenty of lube and a impact gun but i wouldn't . just get proper rod .

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Eventually, it will look like this...........

Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
When you do replace it, replace the main bearing seal same time.....they are a known leaker and you will be right there at the time. It's like a 2 dollar rubber gasket frm MINI.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
When you do replace it, replace the main bearing seal same time.....they are a known leaker and you will be right there at the time. It's like a 2 dollar rubber gasket frm MINI.
The service records that I received actually show that the front main seal was replaced at 50k miles

I actually have a Bentley manual to work with. This project doesn't seem like it will be that difficult. Like I said in a previous post, I'm going to follow those instructions posted on how to replace it without the OEM tools.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That must have been noisy, Gray Raven. Good tip about the main seal.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
velopackrat
1st Gear
Plastic Knives,
Any follow-up pictures w/ the Ati in place? Did it cure the problem? Could you tell any difference with the lighter unit?

Thanks for the informative posts, too

Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by velopackrat
Plastic Knives,
Any follow-up pictures w/ the Ati in place? Did it cure the problem? Could you tell any difference with the lighter unit?

Thanks for the informative posts, too
Still waiting for it in the mail! Haven't gotten a tracking number from WMW yet. The order was processed on the 19th so earliest shipping date would have been this past Monday. I should be getting my tensioner tool Friday.

I will keep you all updated with my results!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
It's on the way via ups. I'm down an employee right now, but I'm making sure stay on time. So I'm looking to hire someone new, but good employees are so hard to find.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It's on the way via ups. I'm down an employee right now, but I'm making sure stay on time. So I'm looking to hire someone new, but good employees are so hard to find.
No worries. That's all the info I need. Thanks!

I hear ya on good employees are hard to find. We just had to fire an employee yesterday for stealing cash out of the register. I guess hard times bring out the thief in a person .

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Well I received the ATI Damper today, a very nice product indeed. Went to Autozone and used their loan-a-tool program to rent a puller for free. Then I went to Home Depot, purchased 3 M6 bolts and washers (I hope they are long enough!)

I also picked up a Husky 3/8" torque wrench (chose Husky for the lifetime warranty and convenience of Home Depot). It does 20-100 ft/lbs. I could have purchased the 1/2" 20-250 ft/lbs wrench for $4 more, but it was excessively long and I feel I would get hung up a lot. Up to 100lbs should cover most everything on the car except the axle nuts.

Here are a few pictures of the pre-install. Expect the install in the next few days.

How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-w5kzd.jpg

In this picture you can see:
tensioner tool
torque wrench
ati pulley w/supplied M12 allen bolt and washer
M6 bolts and washers
harmonic damper puller kit
blue threadlock
10mm allen socket I had left over from my old 7M-GTE headbolts which will help the installation immensely

short of a standard toolkit, this should be everything I need for the project.

How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-eooys.jpg

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
newbs49
Banned
Looks nice. Let us know how it goes. Did you get the stock or 2% pulley?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
Looks nice. Let us know how it goes. Did you get the stock or 2% pulley?
Stock.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Did the install today and it went surprisingly smooth except for one problem, not having an impact gun! I ended up running out to HD and picked up up a Dewalt, which I will probably return and buy something cheaper online .

Onto the pics!

Fender liner out:
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-xcnba.jpg

When I took off my belt I found this! This belt is under 5000 mi old. What could be the cause?
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-tyu7l.jpg

My Savior!
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-ya5m2.jpg

The removal is very, very easy with this tool. There's absolutely no reason to purchase the OEM tool IMO. I used the supplied allen head bolt that came with the ATI damper to press against which worked perfectly.
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-tstbo.jpg

OFF!
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-3svws.jpg

Using the supplied allen bolt and washer to press the pulley on. I didn't need to heat it up at all.
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-nilew.jpg

The allen bolt only pushes up to a certain point, they you use the oem bolt to finish it. Once the bolt no longer turns, back it out and check to make sure the pulley is flush with the crank by looking through the center hole. If all is well, put blue loctite on and tq down to 85!
How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*-s92lx.jpg

My only concern is when I was torquing the bolt. Even with the brakes pressed firmly and car in a high gear, the crank still had a bit of twisting play in it. I would say the crank turns about an 1/8th or so while I was applying pressure. Once pressure was relieved, it twisted back (I'm guessing this is play in the dual mass flywheel springs).

Do you all think this twisting will effect the torque value drastically? I cant see any way around this short of the oem BMW tool 525-135.

All in all, this was an easy project. Well worth the effort. I drove past some guard rails and there's no more fluttering so it seems to have fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: How does my harmonic balancer look? *PICS*