Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

rattling noise from inside, ceiling area on driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM
jazztronikk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattling noise from inside, ceiling area on driver's side

i drive a 2006 cooper s. whenever i'm driving on a bumpy road, i hear a continuous rattling noise coming from driver's side, ceiling area. this noise is coming from inside of the car, and sounds like from ceiling. has anyone else experience a similar problem?

when i hold the ceiling with the palm of my hand i can eliminate the noise. what must i do to resolve this issue???

please see pic for area where the noise is coming from.
rattling noise from inside, ceiling area on driver's side-nzdhx.jpg

Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
do you have a sunroof?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
jazztronikk
1st Gear
As matter of fact, I do!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
jazztronikk
1st Gear
But the noise seems to be coming from near the corner of ceiling not the sunroof

Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Get a can of spay in foam insulation, make a small hole in the headliner where the rattle is and inject the whole can in there.....

Just kidding.

Probably will have to remove part of the headliner to remedy this.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:01 AM
jolson
2nd Gear
Check your sunvisor and make sure the screws holding the clips are tight, had a similar problem with mine and it was just a loose screw.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 AM
sailorboy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a sunroof, and I was getting a lot of air noise at highway speeds. I had the dealer tighten it up, and they solved the air noise problem, but now I have a horrible rattle, squeek from the backside of the glass. It goes away when I open the rear of the sunroof. I need to schedule another visit to the dealer. See if your noise goes away with a slight opening of the sunroof.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
i used to have a rattle from the sunroof surround (where the front of the sunroof is behind the switches). i just jammed some styrafoam in there and its fine. you can test it out by holding the plastic there and seeing if it still rattles.

though you mentioned your noise is from one of the corners.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 AM
BlueMax
1st Gear
I have a similar rattle problem at the rear sides of my sunroof. If I just 'blip' the sunroof switch to open it by a minute amount the rattle goes away. I have even removed the glass panel to see if I can locate the source but without any luck. I think it may be the sliding supports at the rear that are not under tension when the roof is fully closed and then it rattles on the guides. Given up with this, noise on both sides but more apparant on the pax side. Mine is right hand drive. Suggest you try to open it ever so slightly and see if it is quiet. I now just open it slightly when it is irritating, amount of noise is also dependent on ambient temperature and off course road surface quality (or rather lack thereof!)

Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Get a can of spay in foam insulation, make a small hole in the headliner where the rattle is and inject the whole can in there.....

Just kidding.

Probably will have to remove part of the headliner to remedy this.
Good one . I was in hook, line and sinker, thinking what a moronic piece of advice, before I saw the J.K. I'm a little slow this Monday morning.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM
tallweed
1st Gear
Me Too.

I've been trying to hunt down this exact same rattle on my car. It's right over my head. Any little bump in the road causes it to rattle. It seems to be worse if only one side of the car hits a bump. If I open the sunroof or even just blip the open button, the rattle will stop.

I've tried all kinds of things to silence it. My main theory is that the rattle is coming from the small arm that supports the roof when its just open at the back edge. It's rattling when the sunroof is closed because it's just sitting there. I've stuck little pieces of felt on it in various spots with no luck. I tried putting a little chunk of clay in the area where the little arm is parked when the window is closed. Nothing seems to work.

Just this week the noise stopped when I closed the window. This happened once before but started right up again when I opened the window the next time. I'm ready to keep the window closed forever, unless someone has an idea of how to quiet this rattle.

Paul

Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 AM
earlrabbit
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with mine. it turned out to be the two flaps that pop up as air deflectors when the roof is open. When the roof was closed they would rattle. I ended up gluing some felt to where these flaps made contact when closed and put a little bit of rubber cement on the prongs that keep them seated to keep them from rattling. The rattle went away.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
TY ler
1st Gear
Bump on this issue to see if anyone has made any progress, I am suffering from this same problem and if I can fix it on my own I will save myself from losing my car to the dealer for a week

Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 PM
theoszarz14
Neutral
Originally Posted by mrjasey
i used to have a rattle from the sunroof surround (where the front of the sunroof is behind the switches). i just jammed some styrafoam in there and its fine. you can test it out by holding the plastic there and seeing if it still rattles.

though you mentioned your noise is from one of the corners.
Do you happend to have a brief description of how you did this or maybe a picture?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
tallweed
1st Gear
I found the rattle

I have found what is rattling on my car. I originally thought it was the small arms that flip up near the back of the window. These arms come up with the sunroof is just tilted up but retract if you open it all the way. I did all kinds of things to them thinking that they were rattling. Nothing worked.

This week I turned my attention to the more permanent arm that is right on the outside edge of the sunroof. It was there all along but I thought it was fixed and could not move. These arms are about 3/4 of the way down the side of the window, right on the outside edge of the window. I put a little circle of felt tape on the front edge of this arm and the rattle is gone.

Here's a picture. You can see the arm that was rattling on the left. It's got the blue felt on it. The other arm that is not the source of my rattle is on the right.

Attached Thumbnails rattling noise from inside, ceiling area on driver's side-img_0796.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Thank you tallweed! I put a couple of fuzzy side velcro dots on the spot you show in your photo and the noisy sunroof is once again quiet!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had been chasing this noisy sunroof for about 6 months. Quite an improvement over the near constant rattle just above my head.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
tallweed
1st Gear
Mike87,

I'm glad to hear that this was the source of your rattle, too. If you're like me, that rattle was really getting on my nerves. It is right over your head and it might as well be in your head. I'm in love with my car all over again.

Motor on!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM
tallweed
1st Gear
Mike87,

I'm glad to hear that this was the source of your rattle, too. If you're like me, that rattle was really getting on my nerves. It is right over your head and it might as well be in your head. I'm in love with my car all over again.

Motor on!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
And on Friday last I changed the rod ends on my sway bar end links because the old ones were worn (5 years). I also found that my sway bar bushings were squeaking. I greased them with some the special grease for urethane and all is good. The cabin is almost completely quiet now! I am amazed at how nice the car is to drive on a daily basis again.

Now to fix the dash plate close to the windshield and we will be done!