Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door Key lock/unlock won't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM
wilkiewheels
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Key lock/unlock won't work

Hi, I purchased a 2003 Mini CVT. It is used so I am working though all the little issues. The car came with one key. It is a remote key and works fine. I can press the lock button to lock, unlock and it unlocks etc. The problem is that I can not use the key the old school way by putting it in the key hole to lock and unlock the doors from outside the car. I ordered two new general keys (no remote) to be used as backups but they don't work in the drivers side door keyhole. When I looked in the manual it says something about activation at your local Mini dealer. So I'm thinking it is an electrical mechanism that needs to be activated. Is anyone familiar with how to activate the manual lock mechanism on the driver side door so I can use the key if the remote battery goes dead. This is a great forum. Thank you in advance for any help here.

Best Regards,
Wilkiewheels

Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
splat
2nd Gear
very strange, i just bought a mini on friday. one of the keys is dead and neither will open the door manually. considering it is guaranteed that i will lock the keys in the car at some point this is a bit worrying.

guess a stop at the dealership is called for tomorrow

Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by wilkiewheels
I ordered two new general keys (no remote) to be used as backups but they don't work in the drivers side door keyhole. When I looked in the manual it says something about activation at your local Mini dealer. So I'm thinking it is an electrical mechanism that needs to be activated.
I, too, ordered thru my local MINI dealer a non-remote key to be used as a backup. It worked just fine with no special activation required by the dealer.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
wedmister
1st Gear
wilkie,
did you ever find out what the problem was? I just learned (the hard way) that mine doesn't unlock the old school way either.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I'd recommend popping the door panel off and taking a look at the mechanism inside the door. It's not too hard to do. I think there's 2 torx screws in the armrest and the rest of the fasteners just pop off. Start prying with a nylon pry bar or a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth at the bottom of the panel and then work your way around. You might find that something isn't connected properly.