Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

power steering fan runs when?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
whoseyermini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering fan runs when?

Sorry to have to bring this up-again. I know it has been discussed at length. I replaced my PS Pump and that works. Now I am not sure about the fan. I saw a post that said "if it turns it should work." I saw another post that said it would only run when the A/C caused the cooling fan to run on high. Another post said that if the fan was not working the PS would not work, PS does work (just a little hose leak I have to fix). Due to a shortage of job I would prefer not to buy the fan as a preventive maintenance part. But I don't want to burn up the PS Pump I just installed. Could I wire it direct to a 12V battery and see if it runs? The car is a 2002 R50 with about 80K and a CVT. Thanks in advance for any help. I am going to the garage right now to check fuses.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id like to know this as well.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:25 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whoseyermini
Sorry to have to bring this up-again. I know it has been discussed at length. I replaced my PS Pump and that works. Now I am not sure about the fan. I saw a post that said "if it turns it should work." I saw another post that said it would only run when the A/C caused the cooling fan to run on high. Another post said that if the fan was not working the PS would not work, PS does work (just a little hose leak I have to fix). Due to a shortage of job I would prefer not to buy the fan as a preventive maintenance part. But I don't want to burn up the PS Pump I just installed. Could I wire it direct to a 12V battery and see if it runs? The car is a 2002 R50 with about 80K and a CVT. Thanks in advance for any help. I am going to the garage right now to check fuses.
I can already tell you that the powersteering will work regardless of the PS fan not working.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the PS fan kicks in at a certain temp or if mine isn't working due to blown fuse...
I did about a 20 min drive and parked (while leaving car running), checked under to see if fan was moving and it wasn't...Yet, I just replaced the PS fan 2 days ago.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 AM
cessna
1st Gear
I'm new to minis but I have a hoist in my shop after reading this I put my 06 in the air.I found that if you turn on a/c or def the fan will run.that said it turns on with coolant fan only as far as I can tell.hope this helps

Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Some people have said it will turn on when the HI speed Radiator fan is on....some have said after 20 seconds of hi speed fan...some "just when needed".....either way....make sure the fan can be rotated easily and smoothly by hand....if it binds, feels gritty, etc....swap it out.....since it has a motor with magnetic parts, it will not quite spin perfectly freely when spun...but it will feel smoothly.
One tip....Newer fans are improved over the older desgin....the fan seems to be sealed better when I compared it to the older one I pulled off my 05, and they have an additional part next to the power plug.....not sure what it does....but since most changes are for the better....if the fan is iffy...it might be worth just swapping it....
And a reminder....the Fan-Duct Kit that can be retrofitted from the latest Gen1 cars IMO is $80 well spent.....it seems to protect the fan, and keep grit, rocks, and chunks of snow from destroying it....it really does a lot more than the aftermarket shields that just protect it from stray plastic bags, etc.
The install took 15 min max....was easy.....anybody who has changed their oil, or swapped a PS fan could do it.

Factory Upgraded Power Steering Fan Duct & Panel

02-06 S Hatchback
04-08 S Convertible w/Auto

There have been reports of Power Steering Pump failure for higher mileage Mini Coopers. Moss now has the only BMW Mini Cooper factory solution to extend the life of the power steering pump - a special ducting system to supply much needed air to the power steering pump fan. Drilling required. Professional installation recommended.

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...87&SortOrder=1

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
One tip.....if you have the updates PS fan wiring harness...the fan fuse is INSIDE by the drivers foot well fuse panel....it may or may not be marked on the back of the cover....should be the fuse that is in the holder in the rear most row...lowest fuse if I remember right...there are a few blank spots still around it.....

Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
I do not know everything that may turn on the fan but I am sure it runs when the high speed cooling fan comes on ,on a 2002.I just checked it.