Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What is a cycle for OBD II for Emisson Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is a cycle for OBD II for Emisson Testing

Can any one tell me what constitutes a drive cycle for purposes of Emission testing via the OBD II system?

I’m throwing a P0172 “too rich code”. We are working on going back to stock to try and get rid of the SES. The SES light comes on at the 3rd cycle. Since the car can’t be legally tagged until the SES light is gone I need to drive this car the minimum to get a cycle (no exemptions or hardship exceptions and/or temp tags will work in this case: it’s a long story).

This is an example of a Ford OBD II Drive Cycle. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

What I have been doing, is idling the car for about 5 minutes until it is at operating temp, drive the car for about ½ mile at about 30mph, drive on a freeway at 55 mph for 1 mile, drive about a ¼ mile at 35 mph, back on the freeway at 55 mph for 1 mile and then drive the car for about ½ mile at about 30mph. I allow the car to sit overnight to cool and repeat. Can someone technical tell me if this constitutes a cycle and if not what does? TIA Michael

Last edited by mistro; 03-02-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add ford link
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously no one knows anything about this? We are all to concerned about socializing? I'm beginning to think NAM's no longer the technical resource it was 5 years ago.

Here's what I found on the Bimmer forum...

OBD-II Driving Cycle
If you have a 96 or newer vehicle you have the OBD-II diagnostic system. This system is constantly monitoring the sensors and solenoids on the engine. If you have replaced the battery, disconnected the battery or cleared the codes after making a repair you will need to do what is called a "Driving Cycle". This will perform a diagnostic on all the systems the computer monitors. This cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
1. Cold Start
In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50ºC (122ºF) and within 6ºC (11ºF) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on maximum and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
3. Accelerate
Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
4. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
5. Decelerate
Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed
6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
7. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
8. Decelerate
This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Does anyone know if this applies to MINI's as well as BMW's?

Last edited by mistro; 03-03-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: remove word formating
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mistro, I'm wondering if you found anything more about this?

I'm having the same issue as you since my OBD got reset, and I need to cycle it ASAP. emissions testing needs to be done before December 27 so I can register my car

Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 PM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
also, can there be any other input while performing steps 1 through 8, or do the steps need to be performed exactly in the order that they are listed? I mean we can't all control how traffic goes...

Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Did anyone find out more info? I just had issue where I failed NJ emission INspection because ODB "Not Ready" for Fuel System and Comphrehensive COmponent.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Don't know for sure but I believe it isn't how you drive the car but the number of start, warm up, stop cycles the car goes through, and 3 isn't the magic number. Instead of trying to route the laws in your state, why don't your fix the problem? Then you can pass emissions legally and you will be a little "greener"

Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Not trying to "route the law" - My son just purchased the vehicle, car was serviced, and is running like a charm....Mini Cooper S 2003 with only 64k miles. He has not driven it much since he bought it (only about 24 miles) and if there is a routine that the OBD has to cycle through after a service it would be good to know. Never had a vehicle fail for such reasons and the DMV paper says "See Vehicles Owner's manual for information on "ODB/Readiness Driving Procedures." It does not say the tests failed - it says the ODB is "NOT READY". But the car failed because too many of the ODB tests (2) were in the not ready condition. The Mini manual has nothing in it. So if anyone has some insight into how this process of "OBD/Readiness" please respond. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
NY DMV has a whole site help you out - NJ - I can not find anything as detailed..they give a generic drive cycle, similar to above - jsut want to confirm it is same for mini.
http://www.nyvip.us/interior/readiness.htm

The purpose of completing an OBD II drive cycle is to force the vehicle to run its onboard diagnostics. Some form of a drive cycle needs to be performed after DTCs have been erased from the PCM’s memory or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through a vehicle’s complete drive cycle will “set” the readiness monitors so that future faults can be detected (and potentially to pass the NYVIP re-inspection). Drive cycles vary depending on the vehicle and the monitor that needs to be re-set. Whenever possible, follow the drive trace prescribed for the specific vehicle/monitor in question. Some vehicle-specific drive cycles can be found in the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Finally founds something from NJ MVC - in their private inspection manual
http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/pdf/Bu...pif-manual.pdf

Vehicles failed for OBDII
Vehicles that had been failed for OBDII and have been repaired may show readiness status codes for monitors that are NOT READY. In these cases, a drive cycle must be completed so that the required monitors are functioning to prevent another failed OBDII inspection. In these cases only the original ERF form needs to be completed to show what repairs were originally made to the vehicle.
Drive Cycles
Icons on the NJ2009 Workstation will offer links to websites which should provide most, if not all of the drive cycle info needed by I/M technicians.