Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Squeeky brakes are driving me crazy! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Tableleg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeeky brakes are driving me crazy! Need advice

So my brakes have been squeeking on and off for about a week now, and they're driving me to want to buy new pads/rotors and change them. But I have not seen the change-your-breaks light on the computer yet, so I'm not sure what to do.

A quick search through the forums haven't found me a diy thread either. Is there one that I can't find?

This is also my first car so I'm kinda learning everything as I go. I've never had to change breaks before so I'm not sure what to expect. Am I right guessing this is going to cost about $400? What rotors/pads do you guys recommend? Has anyone had any luck at finding parts locally (in general, or specific to the Norfolk, VA area) or have you had to order everything online? Is it worth going to the dealership and paying the high prices for those parts?

Again, sorry for all the noob questions... I can't wait to get dirty and figure out all this stuff!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you answer a few questions for us so that we can assist you better

What year is your car?

How many mile are on the car?

Are you the original owner or did you buy it used?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
I changed the pads on my 06R53 three times and the rotors once in the 35 months I had Maggie instead of having the stealership do that for me. Mainly, I wanted to tinker around but also, at the time, the dollar to Euro was almost $1.45, so it would've been hugely expensive (€600 / $870). So, I got the Service Manual for my birthday, spent about 6 hours doing the first set and never looked back! I got better with each repetition and now I'm trying to get the book for my 10R56JCW. I've only put <5k miles on her, so I've got some time.

My first brake job was completed with OEM pads but used the EBC Reds for the second set. Though the reds were better than the OEM in cutting back on the brake dust on my S-Lites, I actually talked to the guys over at EBC brakes about their pads and they recommended the Greenstuff pads, which I was quite happy with. Of course, I'm sure that the local Pep Boys / AutoZone / Advanced Auto will have cheaper pads. Depends on your requirements.

So, answer schatzy62's questions and we'll be better able to help you out. Good luck!

Cheers!!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
In the Norfolk area I used Mike @ Sports and Imports in Chesapeake

he's very well known in BMW circles around there, a Tire Rack recommended installer and an all around nice guy.

http://sportsandimports.net/S&I_CONTACT.html
he can get parts for you too. (he did the control arm busings on my GEN1 for less than half what the dealer quoted)

You can find plain jane MINI brake pads and rotors at Auto Zone now a days. I've ordered from multiple sources but watch the shipping charges .. rotors are heavy.

There is a GEN1 DIY kicking around here and altho there are differences in the GEN2 the basic proceedure is the same and I'm fairly sure you could figure it out. Are you Navy? The guys at the base hobby shops would be able to fill in any gaps for you I'm sure (a great resource)

and you may want to contact the local group hrmini.com

Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Tableleg
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses!

schatzy62, I am the first owner of Edgar, a 07MCS. and he's got about 54k miles so far. Many of those miles are highway, but that's not to say that I don't give the brakes something to do around town. = )

Poppa Bear, thanks for the stories! I want to get to the point where I'm doing all the work to my own car, so it's nice to hear of other people doing it as well! = ) I had heard of "the green brake pad" from somewhere, but I didn't know much about it. It's nice to have a link to it. I've tried all the Advanced Auto parts (via online, though I did run into the one down the street) with no luck with the rotors/pads. Though I did endd up with a couple oil filters I can't use. They had a special going that was 5qt's of Castrol Edge 5W-30 + oil filter for $30, but the only filter they had didn't come with the copper crush washer. I'm curious if I can buy some of those separately somewhere. If so, the next couple oil changes will be cheap! lol

Capt_bj, I am in the Navy and it's always good to know the name of a trusted guy in town, so thanks for Mike's contact info. I'll have to get a hold of him to see what he has in stock. And I went to the auto hobby shot at NAS Oceana the first time I changed my oil. The wife of one of the staff there drove an R53, so he was curious as to what all had been changed in the R56. Thanks for the suggestion of using them as a resource! I never would of thought of that.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll run with it and report back with either a success story or more questions.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Mike won't have anything on hand, he gets it as he needs it for most other than routine Beemer maintence stuff, but he can usually get it quick.

For browsing try these parts sources
MossMini.com
MiniMania.com

Get on the Moss mailing list, their catalog is entertaining even if you never buy anything.

I've used EBC green on each of my MiNis. I like 'em. I can't say they are the best cuz I haven't compared to much else other than OEM. I tried 'em, liked 'em and stuck with 'em. (yes, EBC has pads for the Cooper 7.5 inch disks I have on my 79 .... so I LIKE these guys....but I digress)

And that base hobby shop is a resource others would kill for....take advantage of it! Covered bays, lifts, tools, and knowledgeable coaches for a few bucks an hour....many bases even have paint booths. I live near an Air Force Base now and their hobby shop offers several basic maintenance classes and automotive welding classes ... FREE; and sells Sher' Williams automotive paints (a complete mixing system on hand). I'm pretty sure the main Norfolk base has a large shop and even the CG base in Portsmouth has a 3 or 4 bay shop. Once you've done one set of disk pads you can handle just about any. Get on HRMINI, find someone willing to show you and ask them to go over to a base shop with you. A few hours later you'll feel like an expert. ( I did learning installations/tech sessions in my garage when I lived there but I'm a wee bit away from there now)

Also in Va Beach you have Abacus Racing
http://www.abacusracing.com/
These guys are a world class shop ... race set up and exotics & classics. But their prices can be quite reasonable too. They worked on my 79 a couple of times and their knowledge meant no wasted time. They knew exactly what to do and where to get the parts. Jobs were done fast and properly. If you want a dyno session, they can handle that too..... In the early MINI days they hosted a "pulley party" for the local gang.

retired O-6 ... aka old fart .... sends

Last edited by Capt_bj; 03-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You may not need to replace them, there is a special grease that's supposed to go on the BACK of the pads to stop squeaking, that could be all you need to do.....you can see the pads thru the wheel, or pull your wheels and check to see how much pad material is left. If it's enough, just pull them out and apply the grease and put them back.