Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MCS automatic engine revs up when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
dblhostetler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS automatic engine revs up when coming to a stop

I just bought my 2010 MCS a couple weeks ago and have been having the most fun driving in long time! One thing I am curious about and wanted to get opinions if what i am experieincing is normal. When I am braking and just when the car comes to a stop, the engine revs up a couple times before it settles down into an idle. Is this normal? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dblhostetler
I just bought my 2010 MCS a couple weeks ago and have been having the most fun driving in long time! One thing I am curious about and wanted to get opinions if what i am experieincing is normal. When I am braking and just when the car comes to a stop, the engine revs up a couple times before it settles down into an idle. Is this normal? Thanks!
First off, congrats on your new MINI!

When the engine revs as you're coming to a stop, do you happen to notice if it's also downshifting itself? It could be 'popping' the accelerator to make the transitions smoother as it drops down from gear to gear. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 AM
sarafil
4th Gear

yep, I'd with Ed on this one, sounds like the car is downshifting as you are slowing down. I wouldn't be worried, as long as the car is idling at the correct level when the car is actually stopped.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
pengrayghost
1st Gear
It may also be that the electronics were sublet by BMW to Totota.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine has always done that and others with autos report the same thing in other posts. It's just the transmission downshifting. Kinda scary at first but you get use to it.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
old81
M6
Normal, unless your racing the engine at full stop with your foot off the pedal.

It is something you get used too. Go manual DS mode and enjoy your MINI.

Don

Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 AM
John Felix
2nd Gear
My 09 MCS does this, too. Not every single stop, but more often than not.
I just had my car in for service - asked about it - they said they "were unable to duplicate the problem." Fine.
When I picked up the car, I noticed it was no longer doing the 'surge at stop' thing - then, I saw the AIR CONDITIONING was OFF. Turned it back on, surge happened at the next stop.
I think the AC compressor has something to do with it, but I also believe it's the transmission downshifting into first. Running in SPORT mode (where the transmission does not downshift to first at a stop, it stays in second), I never get the 'surge.'
I'm just chalking it up as another "quirk" in an already quirky (and I mean that in a nice way) little car. No big deal.
By the way, got a non-S Cooper (brand new one) as a loaner...huge difference in overall feel and performance between the S and the non-S. I was surprised, and pleased - that I'd opted for the S.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This settles over time, mine did it for a while, it's like a small "buck" right before you come to a complete stop. This is normal, as everyone with automatics I know experience the same thing. Yes it is normal.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saturn
This settles over time, mine did it for a while, it's like a small "buck" right before you come to a complete stop. This is normal, as everyone with automatics I know experience the same thing. Yes it is normal.
Same here...my 2010 seemed to be doing this all the time when it was "brand new". I've got 4000 miles now, still does it sometimes, but it isn't nearly what it was at the beginning. So it seems to me this issue calms down with some miles on it. I still sense it with the sport button on (which is most of the time), but that's because it drops to 1st just as I'm rolling into the stop. Without the sport button on, I don't sense it anymore...smooth as butter.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, that is what I experienced at first as well. Once through the break in period it seems to have settled in.

Enjoy! I love my car!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Hi All,
So it appears that most of you in this thread see this problem decreasing as time goes on. I have an '09 MCS that I picked up in October and it has done this "lunge" into first gear from the moment I drove off the lot. Sometimes, it is super noticeable, like to the point where if my foot was not on the brake firmly enough, I think I would run into the car in front of me, and sometimes it is as smooth as silk rolling to a stop. I test drove several cars and have already had a loaner, none of which had the problem. I have had the car in service for it and though the tech. could feel it, they had no explanation or solve. I personally do not think it is right and definitely do not feel this lack of "polish" should occur on a BMW product but I have been disapointed with high-end cars before... It is back in tomorrow for a speaker upgrade as well as this problem again (and a shaky idle) so was curious to see if I could aid the techs in a solve. Ohhh, how I love my MINI!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 PM
isthar
5th Gear
+1, I experience something similarish. I was wondering, could it be software attempting to anticipate an acceleration? (would help keep it sporty).

It seems we're chalking it up to "quirk". It's not soo bad but sometimes you can almost feel it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
oneway
2nd Gear
One thing I love about my mini is the automatic transmission, in sport mode it downshifts keeping me in a higher powerband, this can be disconcerting if you are not used to the "eager" way in which the transmission shifts. It also makes sense that it would do the same with the A/C on since the engine is under increased load.

The autobox is made by a subsidiary of Toyota called Aisin, Cadillac uses Aisin transmissions in the CTS too and I get the feeling that when my Mini is a puddle of rust the transmission will still be going strong. I consider it to be the best Automatic transmission I've ever had. Kinda make me wish Toyota would make fun cars.