Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Do I need a new Steering Column? Or...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:09 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do I need a new Steering Column? Or...

Ever since I got my car back from the shop from an accident, the steering has been really tight.

Background story:

I spun out on some black ice and hopped a median by slamming into the curb. Blew all 4 tires, had to replace suspension parts. Now I have new snow tires, 2 new wheels (Blizzaks), new side skirt, new side curtain air bag, new passenger seat, new drivers side rear suspensions.

Initially when I got the car back, I thought the steering is tight because of:

1) I've been driving a Camry as a loaner for a month and got use to the numb and loose steering.

2) New treads on the snow tires makes it tougher to turn.

Symptoms:

1) When I make turns under load *i.e. steering at low speeds or while maneuvering for a parking spot, the steering gets very heavy but I still hear the same recognizable buzz/whining noise when I steer.

2) I notice when I make left turns under load* I would hear a faint click. It's very uncommon and I can't reproduce it at will but I notice it's on left turns whenever I hear it.

3) When I make u-turns, normally the steering wheel would kind of turn itself back to it's normal position. i.e. you turn, loosely hold the steering wheel until it's straightened out. Not that it's a big issue, because I normally guide it and straighten it out anyway; but I notice now, the car will keep turning unless I yank it back to straighten it out. My assumption is the soft/new tread on the snow tires.

4) I also notice extra creaks on my car. Whenever I go up a ramp, I would hear creaking noise from both the drivers side and passenger side, both under me and above me. Could I have a bent chassis?

It's been a couple weeks since I've had my MINI back now, but if I do need more repairs would insurance cover it? Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Twister60
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It, for the most part, sounds like the power steering pump.

Check your power steering fluid level, if it's ok have it checked out, it sounds like it wouldve been covered by insurance(as consequence of the accident)

let us know!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would take it back to the shop and have them look at it. Explain the problem and take the tech for a ride to verify. They should have done a complete four-wheel alignment, and you should have a sheet that indicates the machine tuning adjustments. The rack-and-pinion steering linkage could be bent or out of adjustment (not sure if it's adjustable on MINIs). It could very well be the power steering pump, although that's under the center of the engine (could have hit it when you popped the curb).

As for faint clicking in a turn, that sounds like bad CV joints on the front driving axles.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
MrCooperS
Ok. So I brought my MINI to my MINI SA and then had a MINI mech take it for a spin. Couldn't replicate the problems, but we both agreed it can be a cold start issue. He wanted me to drop the car off for the night so he can check the steering on a cold start and go for a drive. He also wants to put it on a lift to take a look.

So on my way to drop off the car tonight, the power steering died. I tried to restart the car but it's still dead. I can still hear the power steering whine when I turn, but it's def. dead this time. Turning it takes gorilla strength.

So now it's just a matter of convincing insurance that this is related to the previous accident. And since I was going to the dealership, I'm just going to let them confirm the issue and see if they think it's also accident related. Ugh... I think my MINI has seen it's fair share of mechanics already...

Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Man, that's a bummer. Just make sure all repairs go back to the same claim number. I've had my fair share of MINI wrecks. You'll get through it.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 PM
MrCooperS
Think I'll have a hard with insurance for this?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
MrCooperS
The SA and mechanic got back to me and told me it's a U-Joint that's probably bent and it's causing seizing in the steering. Says I need a new steering shaft and a flush. The power steering pump is also really loud and they recommend that to be replaced too with a steering fluid flush. Told me to call insurance for an adjuster to approve the fixes so I called my insurance company yesterday to leave a message to the person handling my last claim.

I got a call from insurance this morning and they "recommend" me to bring it back to the original auto body shop so the shop can provide a supplement to my insurance company, then they will send out a adjuster within a couple of days.

I asked her if I have to take it back to the original body shop and she says, "unfortunately, it's our company policy to recommend you to bring it back to the original body shop." She stresses the word "recommend" which makes me think I don't have to.

I would prefer the dealership, because their the ones that caught the problem, and they already have all the parts in stock and set aside for me. Their able to get it in and out in a day. The previous body shop kept back ordering EVERY part and delayed the return of my car for WEEKS!

Question is, can I bring it to the dealership? "Recommending" me is just their suggestion and preference right?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
You would want to go back to the same shop if it was body-related. On the mechanical side, I'm not sure. If the original shop took a really long time, express your concerns. If the insurance company provides you a loaner, it will probably be limited to no more than a week.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
MrCooperS
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Except I won't need a loaner, since it's a 4 to 5 hour job. Perhaps I can use this to bargain with the insurance company. Saved them money from rentals and etc.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
.mini
Neutral
Is it from HERB CHAMBERS?

I have an 02 MC BRG/B and I have a click or gap in the steering when I turn slightly to the right or left. Also the P/S pump went I would check the cooling fan for the pump if the fluid is full. Is that noise you hear when turning in hard or slightly?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Originally Posted by .mini
I have an 02 MC BRG/B and I have a click or gap in the steering when I turn slightly to the right or left. Also the P/S pump went I would check the cooling fan for the pump if the fluid is full. Is that noise you hear when turning in hard or slightly?
Check and see if the steering U-joints are worn out. May require a friend to assist in listening when you turn the steering wheel.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 PM
molezooka
1st Gear
MrCooperS, Did you find a solution to your problem? I have similar issues that I can't resolve. I've replaced the pump, which didn't fix the problem. I would be interested in hearing what fixed your problem.