Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Driving lights.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 AM
twillet50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving lights.......

My 2002 S has a burned out driving light. From what I can tell, I have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs??? Tell me there is an easier way!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by twillet50
My 2002 S has a burned out driving light. From what I can tell, I have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs??? Tell me there is an easier way!
removing the bumper really isn't that hard. I dont think there is another way...

you may be able to remove the bolts under the fender liner, and the two on the radiator and slightly bend it to get the bulbs.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
If it's the foglight you're referring to (I had both sides burn out after about five years of almost continuous use) you can remove the front wheel then the front portion of the wheel well liner plastic retainer screws, "peel" back the liner enough to get your hand at the fog light and then twist and remove it. Don't touch the new bulb glass. Autozone has them for about $16.00 if I remember correctly.
If it's the "parking" lights (as I refer to them) then that's a project I haven't tackled as yet.
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Trust me on this, just take the Bumper off, it takes 10 Minutes and you wont cut your hands up trying to replace the bulb by pulling on the fender well liner

Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
question is: what light???

driving lights are the accessory ones that sit in front of the upper grill - easy to replace a bulb, just take the front of the assembly off

fog lights sit in holes low, below the head lights - replacing bulbs is a bit more involved....you can get to them if you go thru the wheel well liner

parking lights/turn signals . . . the light lens is in the bumper.....you can get to the back of the light assembly if you have (or a friend has) small hands. The bulb holders might be very tight/stuck but they DO come off. Removing the bumper cover certainly gives more access but it is not required UNLESS you find that the entire fixture is bad and you need to repalce the holder / lens as I once did

Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
Trust me on this, just take the Bumper off, it takes 10 Minutes and you wont cut your hands up trying to replace the bulb by pulling on the fender well liner
Yes, it is pretty easy to do.

Just more work than it should be.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
question is: what light???

driving lights are the accessory ones that sit in front of the upper grill - easy to replace a bulb, just take the front of the assembly off

fog lights sit in holes low, below the head lights - replacing bulbs is a bit more involved....you can get to them if you go thru the wheel well liner

parking lights/turn signals . . . the light lens is in the bumper.....you can get to the back of the light assembly if you have (or a friend has) small hands. The bulb holders might be very tight/stuck but they DO come off. Removing the bumper cover certainly gives more access but it is not required UNLESS you find that the entire fixture is bad and you need to repalce the holder / lens as I once did
very ghoood

Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on this one.

I prefer to pull the wheel and liner to access the fogs, personally - to me, that's easier. But I have a floor jack, impact wrench and torque wrench handy, and I've pulled the liners over a dozen times so I'm efficient at it.

But I also pull the bumper cover fairly often for other things.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
anyone wanna explain how to remove the front bumper? lol. thanks!