Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Leak-prone areas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leak-prone areas?

So for a long time now, my car has had mysterious wet carpeting during periods of rain. A couple of times in the trunk, and now lately the driver's side carpet has been wet. Not super wet, but damp. My car also gets an awful mold smell during rainy periods. I don't have a sunroof, and my headliner isn't wet or stained. Are there any roof-drain channels in non-sunroof cars? What else can I look for? My door seals aren't torn or anything, but I haven't pulled up the carpet yet to inspect closer.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The windshield seal may be gone. This is definitely a possibility if you have had it replaced. Give your door and boot seals a good look with a fine-tooth comb. Water has a tendency to find the tiniest spots and make its way through. The only other thing that comes to mind is the two vented areas below the bottom of the windshield. Check the back area of the two front floorboard areas (i.e. behind pedals).

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
I have indeed had my windshield replaced. I will investigate that.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Take a look at the 3rd brake light for the trunk leak...also there have been a few leaks around the regular brake lights in the rear, so I'd look at it from the inside to look for drip marks too!!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeromax
So for a long time now, my car has had mysterious wet carpeting during periods of rain. A couple of times in the trunk, and now lately the driver's side carpet has been wet. Not super wet, but damp. My car also gets an awful mold smell during rainy periods. I don't have a sunroof, and my headliner isn't wet or stained. Are there any roof-drain channels in non-sunroof cars? What else can I look for? My door seals aren't torn or anything, but I haven't pulled up the carpet yet to inspect closer.
Even though you don't have a sunroof you still have the drain tubes. Just went thru this in my GP. I got some pine needles down the drain hole and plugged em solid!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Interesting to know the drain tubes are still there! My only question then is... how did they get clogged?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Another potential leak point on the driver's side is the firewall grommet behind the brake booster. If this has been used to route any aftermarket wiring (in my case lights, gauges, laser jammer, water/meth controller) into the passenger compartment, it can leak. Learned this during a downpour once with water running onto my left foot... resealed with silicone and no more problems.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 03-18-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Interesting to know the drain tubes are still there! My only question then is... how did they get clogged?
There is a very small hole in the drip rail moulding..... a few pine needles and pluggo!!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Jarid, that's a trip. Would have never though they were there. But it does make sense. Both my old '02 MCS and my current '06 MCS have sunroofs, so I would not have though about it. Hmm... maybe I do have those holes along the drip rail molding, too.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Another potential leak point on the driver's side is the firewall grommet behind the brake booster. If this has been use to route any aftermarket wiring into the passenger compartment, it can leak. Learned this during a downpour once with water running onto my left foot... resealed with silicone and no more problems.

That's also very possible, I have driving lamp wiring going through there somewhere.