Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'06 Sunroof sometimes so slow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
79cutlas
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
Mine was working fine when I got the car in december, but then in february it started to act weird! Opening was slow and it would stop and open again when I was closing it! I put some lube in the rails (front section) with no results, but when I lubed the rails in the back section (where the roof sits over the other glass), it started working fine! Since then I have no problem with it!

exactly...I used the chain lube and the straw to put into the gap beside the groves behind the sunroof and sprayed the tracks behind it. Its been working great since!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM
MirthScout
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntmid8r
Thats an interesting thought, with just the scoop...Any pics?
I added a picture to my gallery since I couldn't figure out how to easily put a picture in this message.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just so happens my sunroof started to act up the other day. I greased it today. However, instead of using white lithium grease like I previously recommended, I decided to opt for hi-temp bearing grease. Even a generic can from Autozone will do well. I thought it would have a heavy smell with the sunroof shut, but it doesn't. It will definitely last longer than the white lithium formula.

When you look into the top of the sunroof tracks, you will notice there are actually two sets. One set is for the two front glass mounts, and the other set is for the rear two. The front tracks are easier to grease. Just make sure you notice that they are all the way at the bottom of the drain well.

The rear ones have both top/bottom and side contact edges. Mine was still stiff until I greased these. Then it went back-and-forth so much smoother.

I used an incense stick (I save these after burning them; they have lots of uses) to work the grease into the tracks. A toothpick should work just as well. Once the grease is in place, just open/close the sunroof a few times, and you're good to go.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:49 AM
erw300zx
1st Gear
JumpinJackFlash - thanks for that info, if the weather and baby cooperate I'm going to try to do this over the weekend.

I also need to grease the door hinges, they creak. I tried greasing the passenger's door hinge parts with white lithium spray but first of all it makes an obvious mess, and second it doesn't seep into the dry areas very well. It bunches up on the surface of the part.

I'm going back to PepBoys to find some other grease like you recommend.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM
ntmid8r
3rd Gear
Im going to get a little technical but cant offer a great solution. If you use a delayed viscosity lubricant, it will penetrate to the area and then expand and lubricate without "bunching up" in front of the area you want to lubricate.

I used to sell a private label lubricant years ago in another lifetime.

It was clear, hung to vertical surfaces and would not throw off moving parts.
I still have a can and use it on door hinges and Mini Cooper sunroofs!