Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini won't start...Not the Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini won't start...Not the Battery

Hello All,
I'm hoping to get some guidance. I have a manual '05 Convert w/90K. I turned it off when I got to work and when I went to lock the remote wasn't working so I walked back to the car and and noticed nothing would come on...The engine wouldn't turn over no noise no lights absolute silence. I replaced the battery within the last 6months so I've ruled that out. So I started freaking out and popped the hood (don't ask me why) I didn't notice anything a skew (not that I'd know what to look for) and closed the hood went back into the car and tried to turn him on one last time and he started up. So I went into work and when I left it started it up fine ( I was listening to hear if anything weird or different, nothing) I drove home and when I turned off the car I noticed it happen again cuz the window didn't role down alil when I open the door. So I came up and started searching the web and saw that it could possibly be the clutch switch (where is that?). I was still freaking out though and went back down to my car and thought I should check the oil I popped the hood oil was fine and then I slammed the hood shut and in that instant everything powered up I again (I must have left the key in the ignition in a powered position during one of my start up tries). Anyway, so crazy something has to be loose under there...has this happened to anyone? Clearly I have to take him into the shop but I'm always so leary thinking that I might get taken advantage of and I just wanna know if anything similar has happened to anyone.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
clean battery cables & posts, check grounds

Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
So I stopped at 2 shops I normally go to around 8...none open so I decided I'll just drive to work and stop at a shop near there that way I could still get to work...luckily they were open...I explained the problem and while I thought it wasn't the battery apparently it was. It was loose as soon as he touched it everything powered up and he checked the connections and sure enough he had to tighten both a good amount. So simple that I figure no way. Anyways i have turned it off a couple times already and all seems well. Lesson learned don't over look the simple and little things.