Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Service Engine Soon Light Issues - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
djmatthewcooper
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service Engine Soon Light Issues - Please Help!

PLEASE HELP!

Here's my story:
I have a 2002 MCS with 58,000 miles on it and recently I had my Mini inspected by Mini themselves telling me I have a leaky valve cover gasket. I attempted to change it and when I finished putting everything back together I forgot to plug in the ignition coil pack sensor into the actual ignition coil pack after plugging the battery back in. When I tried starting the car all it did was turnover and didn't start. I soon realized that I forgot to plug this in and did so.

Everything else seemed to be fine until I started driving it. After about 0.1 miles, the "Check Filler Cap" light came on and so I turned the car off, tightened it, and continued but the "Check Filler Cap" light came back on.

At this point I unplugged the battery and took apart the coil pack to see if I might have missed something or nicked any cables. No luck. I plugged my battery back in and now a "Service Engine Soon" light came on and the "Check Filler Cap" light was no longer on. The car was still driveable and so I took it to Autozone to get my codes checked. Anyway, so my car is throwing
P2300- Ignition coil 1 control circuit low voltage.
P2303- Ignition coil 2 control circuit low voltage.
P0455- EVAP large leak detected
P0442- EVAP small leak/no flow condition

I unplugged my battery again and tried to see if I could find anything wrong with the plugs and hoses for the EVAP and/or coil pack to no success.

After starting the car again, the "Service Eengine Soon" light is still on except now it seems to be in limp mode. The cars engine idles at 1200rpm and then revs up by itself to 1700 and then right back down to 1200rpm. It keeps doing this.

Some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXBR3kR1qU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJN26DZ7M0

If you're still reading this any help would be greatly appreciated. My car is not in warranty anymore so any advice on how to fix this would help.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by djmatthewcooper; 03-24-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM
benjam83
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could have a bad coil. Are you sure you've got the plug wires on well? Did you use dielectric grease like you're supposed to?

The evap system removes fuel vapors that have accumulated in the gas tank and routes them into the engine. There is a valve, a canister and some vacuum lines, all of which can fail....at least on other makes. Knowing Mini's reliability reputation, it wouldn't surprise me if some part of the evap system is bad. I'm not sure where the valve or canister is located. Are you sure you've got all your vacuum lines on correctly? It's kind of a coincidence that the CEL for the EVAP came on right after you did this work to it. My guess is there's a line not connected or a line that cracked or has a hole in it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you may have knocked a vacuum line loose or forgot to connect one back up. A common problem on older fuel-injected vehicles is a bad PCV valve (MINIs don't have one). This will cause a variation in RPMs at idle.

Recheck the vacuum lines around the valve cover, then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to give the computer an opportunity to reset. Check and make sure the connectors are seated properly to the ignition coil, and also check for bent pins. See if the condition resurfaces.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
djmatthewcooper
2nd Gear
I will recheck the hoses and get the codes reset to see what happens. I'll keep you posted thanks for the advice.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
djmatthewcooper
2nd Gear
I did what you said so far so good! Car is running great. We'll see if any codes resurface again. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.