Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 gremlins? Boot rattle, frozen door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010 | 04:54 AM
ronmichael
|
3rd Gear
2010 gremlins? Boot rattle, frozen door locks?

I was pretty happy with my 2006 MCSc, and the 3 BMWs I owned before that. No real problems to speak of. I was expecting my 2010 MC to be even better. I was looking for a simpler, very low maintenance, easy going car.

Just a few days after picking it up in December I had a check engine light (and a few cases where the car wouldn't start) but it was quickly diagnosed and fixed. I forget what was wrong. I didn't think it was a huge deal... but...

Ever since day 1 I've had this rattle from the rear of the car, only in the mornings for maybe the first 15 minutes of driving. First I had the dealer inspect the suspension but nothing. Recently (After putting it off for a long time as I suspected they wouldn't fix it) I spent the time to take it to the dealer to have them look at it. They diagnosed it as a "sticker failure" or something like that on the paperwork and replaced the sticker and the striker on the hatch. But it didn't help at all.

I could even live with that... it's relatively minor... but, now for the 2nd time in two weeks, the car refused to let me open the driver side door. I have comfort access so I pressed the button to unlock the car. It unlocked, but the driver door latch was frozen. The first time I just opened the passenger door, reached over and open the car from the inside. This time I just used the remote to lower the windows and unlock the door from the inside.

I did ask the dealer to look but as you'd expect, they could do nothing. No fault codes were stored, it's impossible to reproduce, so nothing was done.

It's a bit worrying as being able to get into the car is a basic requirement to me. And it is a safety concern too. What if I lent the car to someone and it did this? What if they were parked somewhere and in a situation where they didn't have time to figure out how to finagle there way into the car?

I had heard of some issues with comfort access, but I had hoped they would have been fixed by the 2010 models. I guess not. :(

Anyway, before I spend time writing a formal letter to MINI USA and the NHTSA about this, am wondering if anyone else has had these problems and gotten a resolution?

Old 03-25-2010 | 04:36 PM
JENGLAND
2nd Gear
my hatch was making all kinds of noises on rough roads and I lubed the stricker thinking it was dry but that didn't help. Then I found the two adjustable stops that are in the hatch itself that hit the body when you close it. The should be a clear plastic on the body where these make contact and I put some greese on those and haven't had a noise since.

Old 03-25-2010 | 05:16 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronmichael
I was looking for a simpler, very low maintenance, easy going car.

Old 03-25-2010 | 06:00 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Couldn't agree more Oxy, it would have been better had BMW handed over the specs to Toyota or Honda and contracted with them to design and build it...

Old 03-25-2010 | 06:00 PM
ronmichael
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JENGLAND
my hatch was making all kinds of noises on rough roads and I lubed the stricker thinking it was dry but that didn't help. Then I found the two adjustable stops that are in the hatch itself that hit the body when you close it. The should be a clear plastic on the body where these make contact and I put some greese on those and haven't had a noise since.
I'll have to give that a try. I'm curious, does your striker always land right dead center on the clear plastic sticker on the body? My passenger side does (and is quiet) and the driver side doesn't. And did your noise go away after driving a bit, or did it never really stop?

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:24 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
I had the same boot rattle issue and I put some masking tape around the U-shaped hook, meaning on top of it and down both sides. Even though it solved the issue, I felt bad about putting that much tape. Turns out it only needed it at the top of the "U." It's been very quiet back there since.

Last edited by trinigladiator; 05-21-2010 at 10:31 AM.