Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Something Doesn't Smell Right

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Mateo_Feo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something Doesn't Smell Right

So hey guys looking for some quick assessment help before I go to the mechanic. My mini was running fine, when I noticed I couldn't hear the SC whine anymore, turned down the music and then the car sounded like it was dieing, then the check engine light went on, the traction control light went on I mean the display lit up like crazy. So I threw it in neutral and pulled off. Got it towed back to my place. Started the car when I got back, it drove forward and backward, but then I noticed a smell coming the engine. I didn't hear the whine either. Is this a blown supercharger?

My mini is an 05' S with a 17% pulley.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Release tension from the belt and spin the pulley.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
miniola
6th Gear
What's it smell like? Burning rubber or what?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your crank pulley too...

Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll bet $1 it's a failed crank pulley.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-gone-bad.html

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago after a similar failure. I went to the ATI Super Damper so it won't happen again.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I'll bet $1 it's a failed crank pulley.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-gone-bad.html

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago after a similar failure. I went to the ATI Super Damper so it won't happen again.
Okay, for fun I'll take the $1 bet (payable at the Dragon). I think Mateo has a failed supercharger. I hope for Mateo's sake that BlimeyCab is right and I'll be paying him US cash currency, since a crank pulley is a lot cheaper than a supercharger.

Mateo:

Look carefully at your belt. Is it still sitting as it should on the various pulleys? If so, is it scored and scratched up on the back side? I suspect not. See if you can get your hands on a belt tool and remove the belt from the supercharger pulley (search around NAM for instructions). Try moving the supercharger pulley by hand. If you can move it at all, and it seems pretty smooth as it turns, you're in luck, and inspect the crank pulley as Blimey suggested. You won't be able to turn it, so get a mirror down there and inspect it for damage to the rubber part in the center. You can also remove the front passenger's wheel and wheel arch liner for a better look. Still stumped? Contact me and I'll instruct you further.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
yer on.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Mateo_Feo
Neutral
Well not are how to describe the smell it just didn't smell good. It could have been rubber. Because I mean I've smelled the smell before haha, not from my car, so it was familiar. Just not enough to be sure how to put it.

Thanks for the suggestion Blimey and Helix. I'm going to rent an OBD reader, or borrow one if I can in few. Then when I get back I have a tensioner tool. I'll check the pulley's. I really hope it's the crank, at least it'll be cheaper then a new SC. If after that I can't figure out I'll use the reader.

Keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Mateo_Feo
Neutral
Okay so I started the car again to get a good listen. It definitely smells like rubber, and it's really strong in the passenger seat. The noise sounds like a cranking clicking sound, but when I put my ear near the supercharger while it was turning it didn't sound like it was coming from there. So it looks like it might be the crank. If so it'll be a couple of weeks before I fix it. Meantime I'll probably try to prop the car up and get a better assessment tomorrow. Thanks again for the help guys. Any other advice I'm all ears. Keep you kids posted.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
its probably your belt if you smell rubber, but who knows. Im FAR from an expert. I really doubt your S/C went.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
the crank pulley damper is also made of rubber. And makes a nice burning rubber smell when it disintegrates.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
the crank pulley damper is also made of rubber. And makes a nice burning rubber smell when it disintegrates.
Exactly what I was thinking... that's why I asked about the rubber smell first. It can be hard to tell if it's the pulley for sure though because it can disintegrate inside first without exterior signs.

But my vote is for the pulley.