Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mysterious Battery Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 AM
MTXMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Battery Problem....

Ok, I've been doing car audio for about 10 years and even though the Mini is a new one for me, I do know what I'm doing. That being said...

I unhooked the positive so no shocky shocky the I wire up the new wiring harness (wierd by the way and I am still unsure about the yellow constant wire???) I run the RCAs and the remote wire. I run the power from the capacitor to the battery (but didn't hook it up yet) I run the power from the capacitor to the amp (but didn't hook it up yet) I run both ground wires (but didn't hook it up yet.)

Then I go ahead and hook up the battery and turn the key to on. The new head unit turns on, the interior lights come on, everything seems fine. Then I turn the key to start the car and charge the battery a little and it turns into a Pink Floyd concert. The EML light comes on, the battery light comes on, the interior lights are flashing, the headlights are coming on (I didn't even have those on) the windows start to come down a little bit everytime I try to turn the key. AND>>>> besides all this I get this loud click click click but it doesn't even try to turn over.

I tried to jump it, I hooked it up to a trickle charger and it showed it being pretty much dead, I let it charge for about 2 hours and I barely had enough power to roll my windows up and lock the doors. So what could have caused this? Was it already well on it's way to dying and unhooking it finally killed it or what?!?!

Please help.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible one of the caps was charged, was then hooked up backwards and discharged through the battery and/or the ECM (electronic control module)?

The is fragile and not very tolerant of any unexpected voltages. If it is the ECM be sure to be sitting down when they quote you the price.

Rich

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery in these beasts are good for about 4 years or less. You didn't mention your car year. And when the battery goes, it's gone and usually no amount of jumping will start the beast. And will in some instances put on quite a light show on the dash and other weird things.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
MTXMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI, she's a 2004 and I'm pretty sure the battery has been in there for atleast the last 4 - 5 years. Turns out the battery was just too far gone and I needed to replace it. So there's $90 down the drain, but I got a new battery and my system pounding. Thanks for the replies though.