Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Upgrades ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 04:41 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To what extent can you upgrade the MINI without voiding the warrenty??? I'm looking to add some colored plug wires. billet oil and power steering caps and silicon hoese. Maybe an air intake. Is this going to cause a problem? :evil:

Old 09-27-2002, 05:19 AM
shaskan
4th Gear
I was wanting to upgrade as well. I read that the warranty is only voided if the adon part causes the problem. I don't think this is true though. There always seems to be a dorm laywer in the crowd. I think it would be best to read through your warranty for anything about this. I havent recieved my cooper yet so I can't read through it myself.

Cheers :smile:

Old 09-27-2002, 05:34 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
You can go to MINIUSA and read the manual online.

Old 09-27-2002, 06:01 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This has been discussed a few times already. But in my past personal experiences, your warranty is not void as soon as they see a modification to the car. Before it can be void, they have to ensure that the part(s) in question are to blame for what ever is wrong with the car.
There are a number of mod-friendly dealerships out there. Just search one out in your area, and ask what their take on the issue is. They'll tell what their limits are.
Some dealers are a-holes though. Whenever a problem occurs, they look for every possible way to blame it on the modded part. So I'd definitely search around and ask dealers in your area before starting if you really care about your warranty.
Air intakes are usually no problem. Once you start in with electrical stuff like plugs and chip, etc, then you're looking at getting into a different ballpark.
Check twice, mod once.
Good luck
Cheers,

Old 10-01-2002, 05:30 AM
BrandonT
1st Gear
>>There are a number of mod-friendly dealerships out there. Just search one out in your area, and ask what their take on the issue is. They'll tell what their limits are.

I wanted to comment on this. I'm new to the site, but have been checking out the Minis for a while. I emailed my local dealer and asked about Dinan performance parts, of which there are none (yet). The manager told me that there was an agreement 'in the works' for Dinan / Mini. He also told me that the heated windsheild will start in Dec '02 production. For those unfamiliar, Dinan is a factory authorized BMW tuner. Any Dinan part you put on your BMW is fully warranteed (actually through Dinan, but BMW does the work). Personally, I'm hoping for a pulley / ECU combination upgrade.

Hope this helps!