Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need help identifying (slight) oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
asado
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying (slight) oil leak

Hi all,

I just picked up a 04 S with 90k on clock and need some input/feedback on identifying a very slight oil leak. Slight meaning its just damp and it never hits the ground even when its parked for 3 days straight in my garage. The tech who replaced my front motor mount noticed the leak and suggested that it might be the o-ring and a big (meaning expensive) job. I will get it fixed if that is the issue but would like some other opinion before I open my wallet.

Hitsory: The previous owner had the oil pan gasket replaced at 85K (with receipt) and oil changed 1k miles ago. Overall, the car is in great shape per the tech who replaced my front motor mount.

Thank you in advance.

Below is a photo of where the leak is coming from.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crank sensor seal?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
asado
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
Crank sensor seal?
Thanks. I took a photo again and it seems like its coming from the front of the block. There is also a green (coolant like) slimy fluid that is mixed with oil. I checked my oil and coolant level and both seems to be fine.

If anyone can tell what parts should I replace its greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
since the wind blows the oil around so much....its tough to track don leaks in a photo...they can take some real detective work. While you are at it, check your PS fluid level.
What color is your coolant....BMW/MINI fluid is blue.....

Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
asado
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
since the wind blows the oil around so much....its tough to track don leaks in a photo...they can take some real detective work. While you are at it, check your PS fluid level.
What color is your coolant....BMW/MINI fluid is blue.....
The leak only happens after a drive. I gave it a good wipe 4 days ago and it sat in the garage for 4 days with no leaks. PS level is fine and my coolant looks green inside the reservoir but clear when on my finger. The substance feels slimey/oily and not watery.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
If I had to bet $$, my guess is you might have 2 problems...a slight oil leak....just keep an eye on it....and a leaking thermostat. The thermostats leak is pretty common...a revised part is available from MINI with a better gasket. The oil leak....could be a few different places....but you said oil levels are fine and it it leaks a little bit....so Just keep an eye on it. Sometime when you have other work done, you will likely find the source....and can get it taken care of. Just remember to check your oil.
Also checkout this article on oil leaks on Motoringfile.com
http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/09/...king-your-oil/

Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
asado
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If I had to bet $$, my guess is you might have 2 problems...a slight oil leak....just keep an eye on it....and a leaking thermostat. The thermostats leak is pretty common...a revised part is available from MINI with a better gasket. The oil leak....could be a few different places....but you said oil levels are fine and it it leaks a little bit....so Just keep an eye on it. Sometime when you have other work done, you will likely find the source....and can get it taken care of. Just remember to check your oil.
Also checkout this article on oil leaks on Motoringfile.com
http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/09/...king-your-oil/
Thanks. I removed the plastic pan and took a better photo. The oil and coolant leak seems to be coming directly below the SC. I hope its not the water pump..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The coolant leak is coming from the water pump. At 90,000 miles, It is time to replace it, do the thermostat at the same time and only use BMW or MINI branded coolant. Prestone does not have the silicates that BMW likes in their engines. The oil leak is two fold. While the water pump is out, replace the o-ring on the crank sensor, it is leaking. I have also found the some typical leaking occurs from the upper and lower block seam. I only worry about tightening the outer ladder assembly bolts when the oil pan is removed.
I can also offer a reasonable price for these parts and we carry both Gates and OE water pumps.
Cheers,
--Dan

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Are you sure its not the valve cover gasket?

Last edited by JAB 67; 04-20-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
asado
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
The coolant leak is coming from the water pump. At 90,000 miles, It is time to replace it, do the thermostat at the same time and only use BMW or MINI branded coolant. Prestone does not have the silicates that BMW likes in their engines. The oil leak is two fold. While the water pump is out, replace the o-ring on the crank sensor, it is leaking. I have also found the some typical leaking occurs from the upper and lower block seam. I only worry about tightening the outer ladder assembly bolts when the oil pan is removed.
I can also offer a reasonable price for these parts and we carry both Gates and OE water pumps.
Cheers,
--Dan
Thanks. PM'd you re the parts.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:56 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
Cheers,
--Dan
Dan knows what he's talking about here. He replaced my water pump and crank sensor o-ring a month or so back. I also have a slightly weepy oil pan gasket (again) but am going to wait a while to fix that.

And my thermostat gasket was replace a couple of years ago.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Un0RiGiNaL
3rd Gear
Hey op i have the same EXACT leak. Also madea thread about But no answers

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am having the crank sensor 0-ring and pan gasket replaced today in conjunction with other routine maintenance. I have 64K miles on the clock and have been noticing oil level creeping down at a rate of about 1/8th qt every 1K miles. Pan and block looking virtually identical to the pics in this thread.

The SA initially described it as "...a very common problem..." with 1st Gen -- and then caught himself and qualified his statement.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know where I can order a crankshaft sensor o-ring from? I hate going to the dealer- they never seem to have little odds and ends in stock, and I don't feel like driving there.

Also is there a good set of pictures that shows where the crankshaft sensor is?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
The O-ring is #9 in this diagram. The crank sensor is #8. The former is pretty cheap. The latter is not.

You can order almost any part through RealOEM.com -- I get many of my parts from here. They are quick and reliable. Here's a link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=11&fg=10

Good luck with your repairs!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Oil leak could also be coming from supercharger intake duct. Put it in service mode and you'll be able to see a lot better. Just get 2 M8 by 100mm bolts to hang the MFE from the frame rails.

Jeremy

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never put the car in service mode, although I've removed the bumper before. I'm not sure how to set the front end into service mode.

Also, how do you order from realoem? I can't seem to find a phone number, or an order form or anything.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Is this what your taking about?

I just changed my oil and the next morning I noticed a small amount of oil on my garage floor. The leak is coming from the S charger inlet. Is that right? How do I fix this? Is there a "how to" on it? It is almost as if the boot attached to the S-charger is not on all of the way?

Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying (slight) oil leak-p5310546.jpg  

Last edited by DMBFan2; 05-31-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Heres a close up.

Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying (slight) oil leak-p5310547.jpg