Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Leaking sunroof and dead dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Blue Bomber
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking sunroof and dead dash

I have a 2006 mini cooper S with sunroof. I am the original owner. The car has ~40,000 miles on it.
Last year, something had happened to the sunroof tubing so whenever it rained, water would pool on the floor of my passenger side (this was a warrenty fix).

last week, I noticed it was doing it again but this time on the drivers side (wet feet anyone?). I scheduled an appointment to get it fixed. The soonest they could get me in was 5 days from when I called. The next day we experienced 3 thunderstorms and some pretty large hail.
The next morning I go to start my car and my tach is dead (the needle won't move and the digital display was black). The digital display on my large speedometer was also acting wonky (time display --:--) and my DSC light would not go off. At work I got called twice- people telling me my lights were on. My head lights weren't on by the rear lights would not go off.

So my questions are:
Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Do you think they will try to charge me?
Do you think my electrical problems all stemmed from water getting into my dash from my leaky sunroof?

I'm scared....

Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
I think you'll be ok. The damage was caused not by you, but by a defect in the car covered by warranty. Your auto insurance should also cover it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Hate to be the messenger, but I don't think this will be covered...

I had the exact same problem because of the ******* sunroof! Had a lot of water couple weeks ago and files a claim at the insurance agency, however this is considered just maintaining the car and not caused by the weather! At least that's what my adjuster came up with

Now my middle display (the one in the speedometer) acts as a discolight in the dark, kinda funky but not really... Haha!

Good luck in your case tho! Maybe your adjuster will be more understanding!!