Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

You guys are probably sick of this question, but clutch bleeding...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
ValveFloat
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are probably sick of this question, but clutch bleeding...

I hope someone can help me. Here's what I did...
I flushed the brake fluid on my '03 MCS, using a Motive pressure bleeder.
That went well, then I went to flush the clutch.
1st I opened the bleeder with the pressure bleeder in place and pressurized to about 12psi, nothing came out. I thought maybe the bleed screw was plugged so I started unscrewing it, and after maybe a full turn fluid started coming out (I had detached the pressure bleeder). I pulled the bleed screw all the way out, plugged the hole it came out of, checked the screw and it was fine, I just now knew that I had to turn it a lot to get it to open.
Is it normal to have to turn the bleeder screw so far to get flow?

Now that I had that figured out I pressurized the system and flushed. After clean fluid was coming out, I tightened the bleed screw and check the pedal.
Nothing, totally soft, doesn't stick to the floor, but completely soft.

At this point I did the research on this site I should have done before I started, found k-huevo's great instructions, made a tool to compress the slave, and bled the clutch again, still no pedal.
I have now done this 5+ times and I am not gaining.
There is some fluid in the slave boot. I took the boot off for the last couple attempts at bleeding, and I don't see fluid coming out, but it is wet around the rod.
I am guessing I need a new slave cylinder, but it worked perfectly fine before I messed with it.

So, if you haven't got bored and moved on by now, do I need a new slave? Could I have damaged the slave when compressing it?
Am I still doing something wrong with the bleeding?

Another thing I tried was gravity bleeding, compressing the slave cylinder with the bleeder valve open, and a hose full of fluid attached. I did get some air bubbles, so I repeated this. At this point I get no air by the pressure bleeder/compressed slave technique, or by gravity technique.

Help.
Thanks for reading,
-Joe

Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Good news: Slaves are cheap. Real cheap. Buy it, hook it up to the line, compress it, be sure that the bleeder screw is the highest part of the slave (to allow bubbles left in the slave to make their way out), and re-bleed. You'll get it.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 AM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry is this the correct number 21516777428 for the clutch cylinder slave? many thanks