Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What is this leak?? (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this leak?? (pic)

Ive never seen a leak from my car, but i noticed a buildup of fluid and it hasnt dripped yet.

What fluid is that? The only thing i got done recently was a supercharger pulley.

and also another issue, My rear wiper wont spray any fluid.. I saw a picture of an engine bay and they said theres the front fluid on the left side and the rear fluid container on the right side. I dont have another container i only have 1 fluid container. And its full. But no spray everytime i hold it down.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
rcantu
2nd Gear
check the smell of that fluid. tranny fluid stinks really bad so you can tell if that's it. that spot looks like where the motor and tranny mount.

i remember my mcs having 2 tanks for front and rear wiper fluid.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To my knowledge, not all coopers were equipped with 2 reservoirs. I believe that only ones equipped with headlight washers had 2 reservoirs. I believe its quite common for the hose going to the rear washer to get clogged, or smashed, since (to my knowledge) it is integrated into the wiring harness. Mine doesn't work either.

That fluid looks like oil to me. (I don't have much experience under the hood of Mini's yet.) I can't place where in the engine compartment that is, but i know that its quite common for areas around the IC to seep some oil now and then. Thats what OCCs are for, to prevent oil getting into the IC, and eventually getting out.

But like I said, not much experience, and I welcome anyone more experienced to chime in and even shoot me down if I'm wrong. No faster way to learn than to know you are wrong.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Photo is disorienting, if this is to the left side of the car of the fan, I'd say power steering fluid leak, possible oil leak from higher up on the engine block (check around where the plastic meets the metal) or possible leak form the transmission.

If it's to the right of the car of the fan, then it looks like you just had an oil change and they spilled when swapping the filter, if not it might be time for one to check the O-ring for a leak, but either way before you drive anywhere check the oil level with the dipstick. (and checking all fluid levels may pinpoint your lea)

Agarwaen, you're correct about the reservoirs, but the no rear spray issue could likely be a cracked line (no fluid whatsoever) or the rear wiper motor/rear washer pump assembly needs replacement.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
3rd Gear

Havent had an oil change yet (bought the car 2 months ago).

Hope this picture explains the location better.

I think the lower section of the picture directs the front of the car (because i had the car up on ramps to see if i can access the exhaust bolts easier) and the power steering fan is towards the rear of the car.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
3rd Gear
And heres another pic

You can see the light coming from the front of the car. (The leak is at the bottom of the pic - i just reached around to snap a pic i couldnt see the camera)

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
When you do get around to changing your oil, make sure you replace that oil drain plug. MINI reccomends doing so at every oil change. That is at their intervals of 15K miles, but I would never wait that long.

I replace my plug every 3 oil changes.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
element
3rd Gear
this could be your crank sensor seal and oil pan gasket (or both) I had the same thing and on 1st gens you'll most likely have this with it's age. Another seal to look at is the valve cover, but that will show different signs (from the top of the engine)

Keep your eye on oil levels.. it's a very slow leak.

phil.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Could be an oil pan gasket leak, but if you have thermostat gasket leaking and the pan gasket leaking it could look like that when the antifreeze mixes with the dirt and oil as it runs down the block. Check em both to be safe.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more