Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No more electricty in my Mini....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more electricty in my Mini....

Yesterday I tried to remove my stock pulley to put a 15% reduction pulley.

When I was trying to move my fuse box I unbolt the upper left red cable in the boxe and it started to do sparkles. I didn't care about it and continued to do my stuff...

When the time was to start my engine, nothing hapened.
No light, no door, no trunk, no sound when trying to start, nothing !

As recommended by a friend, I tested each fuse with a multimeter and everything was fine...

anyone have an idea what it could be ?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like you killed the battery...the cable arc-ed from touching a ground...sparked, and since you did nothing to stop it, killed the battery, or did some other dammage.
Charge the battery.... And if you did not break anything, it should start your car...but some batterys do not survive beaing deeply discharged. Hopefully the only dammage is the dead battery.
The good news is that the 15% reduction is one of the best mods you can do, and it transforms the car...it will make you smile soooo much when you get it runnng again...you will wonder why you did not do it sooner!!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
the problem is not the battery because I tested it with the multimeter and sill have power in it....

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
rsvp9146
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A battery can still show 12v with a shorted cell. You most likely fried the battery. Your local auto parts store should be able to test the battery for you. Just testing the fuses doesnt mean that there isnt damage to the electrical system. You may have even fried a diode in the alternator.

For future reference, ALWAYS disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when doing work on the car in the engine compartment.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The battery may be toast... But if it shows voltage, it should at least light the dome light, etc...a 12v battery in a fully charged condition should be closer to 13+ volts...sounds like you may have fried something else...have you found a fuseable link...it is like a big fuse, it's job is to protect the battery if a huge load, bigger than could ever be applied in a normal way is applied to it...not sure where it is in the mini...but you likely blew it...hopefully that is it...the alternative is that you may have fried the bodycontrol unit, computer, etc...not likely...but the body is the ground...and you applied a TON of power to the ground by allowing that cable to arc...repeatedly, and for a long time....check realoem.com, look up the electrial system...and make sure you tested all the main fuses/fuseable links...some of the bigger fuses are pretty well hidden...a repair manual would help too....I'm on a I-thinggy, so it's tuff for me to search for diagrams and schemitics. Good luck!!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
If my battery is really dead/toasted can I boost my car with an other car and expect it to start ?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
bean
5th Gear
Did you check the big fuse inside the orange box located next to the battery?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
No. I'll take a look on it

Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
robinj
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sigop329
If my battery is really dead/toasted can I boost my car with an other car and expect it to start ?
"yes", although... shorting out the battery could possibly have blown some relays here or there as well...
If you can get your car to jump start (and yes, you can use the red plug under the hood for this ) via jumper cables, then it's just likely just your battery.
I reversed polarity starting a car once by accident, it blew some 80amp fuse.

If you get no click, no lights, no nothing from the system, not even a buzz while you're jumped, and the main fuses are good, uh... check for burnt wires.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
Thanks guys, really apreciated...

All I have to say now is : FML

Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
bean
5th Gear
No. I'll take a look on it
I bet you find it blown. This is the fuseable link to which Zippy referred.
Good luck.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
I tried the big fuse next to the battery....nothing is wrong there.

I checked my battery again and I got 6 volts...maybe this is the problem ?

But I should be able to unlock my door or something with those 6 volts don't I ? Everything still dead...

Anyway, one of my friend is coming to boost me and see if it works...if not, I'll bring it at the doctor.....on a towing.....

Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
drfubar
2nd Gear
I had this problem too.
Go to your car, open the driver door and leave it open, put in the key and turn it 2 positions. Nothing will happen. Now wait..... after about 2 to 4 minutes the electricity will come on. Only once I had to do the procedure twice for it to work. Just be patient.
I don't know why this works but its happened to me 4 times over the years.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I tried the big fuse next to the battery....nothing is wrong there.

I checked my battery again and I got 6 volts...maybe this is the problem ?

But I should be able to unlock my door or something with those 6 volts don't I ? Everything still dead...

Anyway, one of my friend is coming to boost me and see if it works...if not, I'll bring it at the doctor.....on a towing.....
6 volts is basicly the same as 0.
Once you get below maybe 10 volts...you would be lucky to get more than a light on the ceiling...remember, many of the cars systems are run by the computer...the body control module, the BCM...if the volts are too low, nothing....when you try to jump the car, leave the cables connected to the car for a bit before you try to jump the car.
One simple test...attatch the cables to the battery in the trunk (not the way to correctly jump a mini), when you do this...you should be able to turn the lights on, etc....if you still don't have power....something must be blown.
If the car does start when jumped, it will need to be driven a long time to get the battery charged enough to restart the car...if it recovers.
If you have access to a battery charger, I would remove the battery, and charge it overnight on it's lowest setting...if it will accept a battery at 6 volts.....some chargers will not accept a battery this deeply discharged.
The orange box contains a "squib", an explosive charge that disconnects the battery from one of 2 seperate positive cables that run under the car. It disconects the unfused cable that goes to the starter motor in the event that the airbags are deployed (it is very difficult to fuse protect a dc motor, but the protection is needed in a car, cause in an accident, the cable could become compermised since it is so long, causing arcing).the second cable stays live...allowing the BCM to turn on the lights and horn, allowing the car to be found more easilly. This circuirt should be protected by a large fuse (fusable link).
Sorry to weigh you down with so much info, but understaning the way it is wired is important to understand whare the fault could be!!
Good luck again, and like I said, you will love the pulley!!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Sigop329
1st Gear
Problem resolved...

I dunno how and why but after removing the battery and plugged it againeverything is fine...I did it like 10 times and this special time it worked...

Thanks for your help guys ! very appreciated

Hope to help you someday !

Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
robinj
3rd Gear
Are you sure your ECU wasn't running WindowsCE or something? (keep resetting until it actually boots)

Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robinj
Are you sure your ECU wasn't running WindowsCE or something? (keep resetting until it actually boots)

Good to hear it works!!!
Now what is the verdict on thevpulley?!
I am always happy when a problem is resolved in "best case" senario!!