Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spark Plug Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Smalls
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Seats

I own a 2004 mini cooper S with an alta air cold intake 15 % pulley and magnaflow exhaust.

about 3 weeks I was leaving my house when I heard a loud "thump" noise before the car shut off, perplexed I got out of the car open the hood and what do I find.......the number 2 spark plug is out of its "seat". It seemed really weird to me as I had not done any maintenance to the car in about 4 months. I placed the plug back in its place tightened it and went to finish my e runs. A few days after I did a "spirited" drive with the mini and completely forgot about the incident that had happened with the spark plug.

Fast forward to today and the same thing happen, now this time the "seat" where the plug goes has no threat at all, called my mechanic and he tells me that that is a common problem for Mini Coopers.

Repair cost you ask $1800 if he can "fix the seat" the dealer wants about $700 just to diagnose the problem. WTF!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Smalls
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so upset that I forgot my question. Has anybody suffer this same malfunction?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Many owners have...some types of sparkplugs have it happen more than others.
The cause is failure to tourqe the sparkplugs down with a tourqe wrench to the proper tightness in a COLD head. When don by hand, the crush washer makes many people think it is tight when it was not...then it slowly backs out...and bang.
The first time it happened, you might have gotten away with a heli-coil, or one of the other similar products. Since it has happened again (half the threads were likely gone after the first time), the second time likely ripped out the rest. Unfortunately, I wonder how much metal from the loose threads was pushed down into the motor the first time!! Oww!!
From the price quote, it sounds like they are removing the head, will machine new threads, or add the helicoil while it is out, then reinstall it.
It is possible to install a helicoil with the head on tge car for much less, but it is an iffy propostion. Good luck...and buy a tourque wrench, and double check your plugs in the future!!
To put things in perspective this almost happened to me...I had work done on my car, and my mechanic found a plug I had installed 3000 miles before loose...so I was lucky.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
What brand plugs do you have Smalls ?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent you a PM Smalls

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Many owners have...some types of sparkplugs have it happen more than others.
The cause is failure to tourqe the sparkplugs down with a tourqe wrench to the proper tightness in a COLD head. When don by hand, the crush washer makes many people think it is tight when it was not...then it slowly backs out...and bang.
The first time it happened, you might have gotten away with a heli-coil, or one of the other similar products. Since it has happened again (half the threads were likely gone after the first time), the second time likely ripped out the rest. Unfortunately, I wonder how much metal from the loose threads was pushed down into the motor the first time!! Oww!!
From the price quote, it sounds like they are removing the head, will machine new threads, or add the helicoil while it is out, then reinstall it.
It is possible to install a helicoil with the head on tge car for much less, but it is an iffy propostion. Good luck...and buy a tourque wrench, and double check your plugs in the future!!
To put things in perspective this almost happened to me...I had work done on my car, and my mechanic found a plug I had installed 3000 miles before loose...so I was lucky.
If what he says is true, then a Helicoil won't work since the seat is damaged. He will need to go with a Time-Sert instead. It cuts a new seat so the plug can properly seal.

Last edited by plasticknives; 04-14-2010 at 08:23 PM.