Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Paint flaking off on my brand new MINI Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 03:39 PM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Paint flaking off on my brand new MINI Cooper

Hi,

This is my first post. I bought a 2009 MINI Cooper on Jan 11, 2010. It is new, and its color is sparkling silver. I'm dismayed that the paint is flaking off on the front bumper. No dents or scratches.

I'm not sure what to ask for at Service, but I worry that they may just dab some new paint in spots.

Old 04-21-2010 | 04:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
First off, welcome to NAM!!
Sorry to hear about your problem. Not having seen it, I can not say for sure....but since the bumper is plastic, there are 2 likely things that may be causing it.
1) The paint is defective on the bumper...poor adhesion...and it is peeling off
2) Much more likely....the bumper is plastic, and it rebounds when things hit it...small rocks, sand, etc are slowly sandblasting the bumper...many MINI's that don't have the clear bra have this issue.

Old 04-21-2010 | 06:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Assuming it's a defect and not from road debris, Mini should repaint it. My 07 had bad paint on the front bumper around all the edges and around the fog lights. There was nothing but primer (greenish) and at the fog lights not even primer. Mini had the bumper repainted at their cost.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 04-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2010 | 06:33 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Thank you both for your replies. I'll take the car in next Tuesday.

Old 04-22-2010 | 08:42 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
I have seen a few cars with flaky paint on bumpers/painted arches before. I would not say its common but as long as there isn't any rock damage...it should be covered under warranty.

Old 04-22-2010 | 10:06 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Sounds like your bumper may have already been repainted, maybe it was damaged in transit... It's happened before.

Old 04-23-2010 | 03:50 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
yep, a dealer does not typically need to report damage if the repair cost is 'low'. An example of a particular:

a Georgia statute that requires a dealer to disclose prior damage only if it exceeds 5 percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price

Old 04-23-2010 | 01:43 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Sounds like the Georgia automobile dealers' association had a hand in drafting that legislation...don't you just love lobbyists?

Old 04-23-2010 | 01:49 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I had an '03 E46 M3 with flaking on the front bumper. It was re-sprayed under warranty by BMW. Defective paint looks very different from ordinary rock chipping.

Old 04-23-2010 | 04:37 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
This is very unfortunate and I am sorry to hear this. I know that I would be VERY upset if it were my car. Best of luck and let us know how you fare on this.

Old 05-11-2010 | 11:04 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Indeed, the bumper was painted once at the dealer

It turns out that the bumper was repainted at the dealer (East Bay MIni of Pleasanton). I was disappointed that no one told me this when I bought it. I've also had the headliner and all the wiring above it replaced, that little antenna that sticks out from the top replaced, the back seat levers replaced because they were switched, and the cargo seal replaced because it got a tear (presumably when the other things were fixed).

I've wanted this MINI for 8 years and now have had it to MINI dealers about 6 times in 4 months. The day I bought it, I had to sign a form saying that the rear window was was broken into once in their parking lot. I never dreamed I would be asking for this much investment of my time. I've now lost trust in the dealer and am not sure whom to go to, but feel that some reparation is justified.

Old 05-11-2010 | 12:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeanne Woodward
It turns out that the bumper was repainted at the dealer (East Bay MIni of Pleasanton). I was disappointed that no one told me this when I bought it. I've also had the headliner and all the wiring above it replaced, that little antenna that sticks out from the top replaced, the back seat levers replaced because they were switched, and the cargo seal replaced because it got a tear (presumably when the other things were fixed).

I've wanted this MINI for 8 years and now have had it to MINI dealers about 6 times in 4 months. The day I bought it, I had to sign a form saying that the rear window was was broken into once in their parking lot. I never dreamed I would be asking for this much investment of my time. I've now lost trust in the dealer and am not sure whom to go to, but feel that some reparation is justified.
I'm not sure why you would have purchased a car that you knew had issues from the beginning. ie. signing a document about the Break-In. I'm sorry to hear about your other issues as well, but upon learning about the first, I think I would have questioned the "Unprofessional" Dealer a little harder!! Like..."What else do I need to know...??"

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:31 PM
jacad
1st Gear
Not to make you feel worse, but your bumper is not ever going to be right. Since the bumper is a "soft" skin, when it is painted a plasticizer agent must be added to the paint so as to give it some movement when dry and to help it adhere to the surface. The process at the time of manufacture and what a body shop in the field can reproduce are two different things. Even if it looks good when finished, the potential is always there to be more fragile and the "fade" characteristics will be different. Two or three years down the road the problem will most likely re-surface in some form whether it be flaking again or discolored in comparison to the other body panels.

The dealer will deny all this, I did, but it is a problem. The likelihood of receiving remuneration for the problem is very low. I would at the very least demand a new bumper skin. If the old one has been damaged and then repainted, the problem is magnified. A reasonable discussion with the dealership GM should be able to accomplish this. Demand to see the new bumper skin and have it noted on the work order created to do the job and keep your copy.

Old 05-11-2010 | 04:19 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jacad
Not to make you feel worse, but your bumper is not ever going to be right. Since the bumper is a "soft" skin, when it is painted a plasticizer agent must be added to the paint so as to give it some movement when dry and to help it adhere to the surface. The process at the time of manufacture and what a body shop in the field can reproduce are two different things. Even if it looks good when finished, the potential is always there to be more fragile and the "fade" characteristics will be different. Two or three years down the road the problem will most likely re-surface in some form whether it be flaking again or discolored in comparison to the other body panels.

The dealer will deny all this, I did, but it is a problem. The likelihood of receiving remuneration for the problem is very low. I would at the very least demand a new bumper skin. If the old one has been damaged and then repainted, the problem is magnified. A reasonable discussion with the dealership GM should be able to accomplish this. Demand to see the new bumper skin and have it noted on the work order created to do the job and keep your copy.
Absolutely true regarding the plasticizer. This is unfortunate but true. That is why it is such a pisser to get into an accident with today cars (plastic and rubber). Body shops just can't replicate the formula. They can add the flex agent and bake but it's really not attainable to get the factory product.

Old 05-11-2010 | 07:45 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
That really sucks, it's dealers like this that give the whole industry a bad name. I hate the whole car buying process, you always go away feeling screwed!

Old 05-12-2010 | 07:57 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by jacad

What is a bumper skin? Is it a whole new bumper?

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:01 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
What is a bumper skin? Is it a whole new bumper?
Yup the plastic bumper cover.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:20 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Thanks. I now want to meet with the general manager of East Bay MINI of Pleasanton. But I need to know what I want ( besides a new bumper skin ). I believe I want a more complete history of the car's condition before I bought it. Because they mentioned vandalism to the rear window, but so much has gone wrong. The service has been awful and I now go to other dealers, who find things that weren't right from the East Bay dealer. Of course, it is all covered, but I've wasted much time and it's sad to have a car that I no longer feel is dependable as far as bodily things (so far, the engine is good). I could ask for compensation for time spent or for goods such as a bike rack. I could conceivably ask for a new car and return this one. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:36 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
If it was me (and I know the GM of East Bay) I would not be greedy(even though you have a right yo) and just ask for a new painted bumper skin and the vehicles complete history.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:37 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I'd make East Bay MINI take the car back, you have been shysted!!

And don't ask nicely...I think that's been a bit of your problem, being nice doesn't get "You" the results you want and/or deserve and that is what is important here, you have to put that first and foremost in your quest for satisfaction!!
Who else have you spoken with, Non-Dealer wise??

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:02 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
I've spoken to service managers at SF MINI and MINI of Mountain View but to no one else.

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:10 AM
Jeanne Woodward
|
Neutral
Thanks. You've been very helpful.

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:16 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
How close to East Bay do you live? I would try and resolve this in person and not over the phone.

Old 05-12-2010 | 12:10 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Laws vary by state, but in VA the dealer has to disclose any paintwork done to the car. If it was done at port that is a different thing. Port is actually considered part of the factory. I would be looking for a new car if I were you.

Old 05-12-2010 | 05:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I've spoken to service managers at SF MINI and MINI of Mountain View but to no one else.
Have you considered other sources...like a Lawyer?? I know it sounds silly, but this may be the only way you will get "again" what you want and/or deserve at this point. You could at least drop the hint and see if they start to do Back Flips...which at this point they had better be!!

Quick Reply: Paint flaking off on my brand new MINI Cooper