Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
dinnertime
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issue

Right before winter hit my wife's 2003 MC's A/C went out. Well now its getting how and I'm trying to fix it. I did an evac and only pulled .41LBS of refrigerant out, so I recharged it to .91LBS. Still wouldn't kick on, then I noticed the fan wasn't coming on when the A/C was turned on and it didn't have low speed. So I ordered a new cooling fan and it STILL won't come on when the A/C is on. Anyone have any clues? It could be the evap temp sensor but I can't tell because I don't have a MINI scan tool.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
When you can check this area if you are not holding a charge. I posted this a few weeks back. It is on the drivers side to right of radiator.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-diy-fix.html

Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
healey67
4th Gear
maybe it was never the low charge of freon... How do you know the compressor is working??

Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
You might have 2 different problems.....
First off, check the cooling fan fuse under the hood....many pre-2005 mini's share a fuse for the ps fan and the cooling fan...so if the fan does not come on at all...that fuse us likely blown..the cause is likely a jammed ps fan...easy fix.
It sounds like the ac system was likely still sealed (reasonably well anyway), and a recharge did not help...IMO, it is likely the compressor/clutch on the compressor has failed....since they are not avalable seperately, the one real option is to swap it out. ( it sounds like you have some equipment...if you have a Bently manual, it might give you pressures or the pins on the connector for the preasure switch to check)
I have heard of a few folks that had a fan problem eventually cause the A/C compressor to fail (I would assume it caused the working preassures to go through the roof, and caused a lot of strain on the compressor from reduced airflow over the condsor/radiator).

Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dinnertime
...my wife's 2003 MC's A/C went out.
Artoo, a 2003 MCS, had his A/C go last year too. It was the clutch fan but that was not available without the whole compressor. I was not happy but a new compressor and clutch fixed the problem.

As for low speed fan, I really think that most have failed and few realize it until the relay goes as well and the high speed stays on. But you have a new fan so you're good to go on that. I went with the external resistor on Artoo.

Good luck with that compressor. It is not cheap.

Rich

PS-While your check book is out look at the lower control arm bushings and top chock mounts. Every 2003 I have looked at have those bad too.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM
dinnertime
1st Gear
I'm really hoping it is not the A/C compressor. Granted I just replaced a PS fan a few weeks ago because it was FUBAR, maybe it was the fuse all along. Reguardless I installed a new model fan that has the built in guard and the old fan was seized.

If the compressor was bad would this cause the low speed fan to not come on?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
dinnertime
1st Gear
All the fuses and relays are good.

Anyone know a good way to test the compressor? I plan on pulling the plug and using a DMM to test voltage to make sure its getting power. I'm still confused on the subject of the fan not turning on if the compressor is bad.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
On the side of the compressor there is an electrical switch...I assume when preasure builds to a pre--set level, the signal is set to turn on the fan to ensure effecient cooling at low speeds. So failure of the fan to turn on when the fan is functional likely indicates a bad pump or if you cannot hear the pump click on to engage, a bad clutch.
If the pump is the orgional, and you have automatc climate control...that pump/clutch has many hours/miles on it. With manual..not quite as bad, but since it runs all winter, since it is activated when the front defroster is running, it still may be toast.
They sometimes pop up used when folks convert street cars to track duty...new/rebuilt units are avalable with new clutches from non-dealer scources for signafigant savings from what I have seen....and prices vary quite a bit.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dinnertime
...Anyone know a good way to test the compressor?
On mine the clutch never engaged on it. It was bad, not the compressor. But the only way I found to fix it was to buy the whole assembly as I couldn't find the clutch separately.

Rich

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM
dinnertime
1st Gear
Anyone ever had the low pressure switch go bad?

I think I might take it to a local shop (no dealerships within 2 hours from me) and pay them to Diag. I don't have a scan tool that can read the MINI to tell me if the low pressure switch is INOP, and don't really want to spend the 600$ for the compressor and have the low pressure sensor be the culprit.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My old '02 MCS AC quit working last year. Freon level was good. My mechanic friend traced it out using a voltage meter. The connection to the compressor was getting voltage, which narrowed it down to the compressor itself. Bought a refurbished one off E-Bay for about $260. He even topped off the system to an even 1 lb. (1/10 of a lb. will not make that much of an overpressure difference).

Last edited by JumpingJackFlash; 04-27-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
58_glide
Neutral
JumpinJack, do you remember who the seller for the remanufactured compressor on ebay was? I need to replace one on my '03 MC.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
dinnertime
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
My old '02 MCS AC quit working last year. Freon level was good. My mechanic friend traced it out using a voltage meter. The connection to the compressor was getting voltage, which narrowed it down to the compressor itself. Bought a refurbished one off E-Bay for about $260. He even topped off the system to an even 1 lb. (1/10 of a lb. will not make that much of an overpressure difference).

Problem with this is you can still get voltage to the low pressure switch and the compressor, now you don't know which component is bad.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
58_glide, the seller was air_parts.

dinnertime, there was probably more diagnostics involved. I don't recall completely what all he tested. All I know is I replaced the compressor, and the AC started working again.