Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Loud knocking when I let off the gas... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM
rrredisk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud knocking when I let off the gas... Help!

So i dont know if this is already a thread somewhere, i tried searching but i didnt really know how to search for the problem so i couldnt really find anything.

I have a 2005 MCS JCW, and this morning on my way to work (about a 35 mile drive) i noticed a slight vibration when i would let off the gas pedal and coast while in gear. the vibration would stop when i would put in the clutch and coast. I tried from 2000 rpms all the way to about 5000 rpms and it did it every time. On the way home from work the vibration seemed to be a little bit worse, and when i would put in the clutch it still slighty vibrated, but when i would step on the brakes with a little bit of force the vibration seemed to stop. so when i got home I jacked up the car and felt around for anything that seemed to be loose (the axles, exhasut, brakes) and nothing seemed to out of the ordinary loose. I took the car for a drive and it still seemed to vibrate when letting off the gas though. Then a little while ago I ran to the grocery store, and the first time that i let off the gas the vibration now has turned more into a loud knocking sound when i let off the gas. and even when i put in the clutch and coast it still knocks loudly. its only when i hit the brakes fairly hard that the knock seems to lessen. Also when i am driving with the windows down i can hear a constant slight ticking noise coming from outside the car as well, which seems to have started when this vibration started. Besides the knocking noise the steering wheel also shakes when letting off the gas.

does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or what i should look for to find the source of the problem? I fear that it may be the axles but i dont know why they would have all of a sudden starting doing it, the car only has 42000 miles on it and before this morning it had no sign of this vibration :/ Please help if you can or at least try and point me in the right direction if possible. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
MRE7986
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you rev and it goes away its your chain tensioner which the dealer says isn't commin but my 2005 S eats those things with 70000 miles and the girlfriends 2005 S also failed at about 50000 miles. It sounds nasty like you broke something serious but car drives fine. The steering wheel shake could be rims. I have a problem with mine that went away with new rotors but came back and wrote it off as rims being beat uped. I say comin problems others say never happened to me.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never heard of pre - 2007 cars having chain tensioner issues.....

Sounds to me more like a CV joint or possibly a wheel bearing in the front.