Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

So many little problems in 2010 model...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many little problems in 2010 model...

My 5 month old 2010 MC is turning out to be a lot more of a headache then my 2006 MCSc. Overall I love the car. But... my list of little problems just keeps growing.

The first problem with the car, just a few days old, was where it would refuse to start and I got the check engine light. Turned out to be a bad purge valve I think. It was replaced and everything was good. Not a big deal.

But the boot has rattled since day one and the dealer hasn't fixed it. (I know this is a common problem) It's a bit annoying as it only rattles when the car has been sitting for a while, so it's not easily reproduce-able once I get to the dealer. I am hoping that I can point the dealer to adjust the latch next time, which seems to usually be the culprit.

The center of the steering wheel (where the horn and emblem are) is peeling! Obviously an easy fix, they'll replace the wheel, but it's not a problem I've ever had with past BMWs or MINIs.

Comfort access often just doesn't work. Sometimes it won't unlock the driver door. It just remains locked and even using the buttons on the fob or the key itself will not open the door. I have to enter through the passenger side and unlock it from inside, or, lower the windows and then reach in to open it from the inside. Other times it will refuse to lock via the button on the door. I have to use the key fob. I have low expectations about this ever getting fixed. No error codes get recorded so I'm sure I'll just be told there is nothing they can do.

The little **** to navigate the computer and the navigation and music is incredibly annoying. Sometime while navigating music for example, you turn it one "click" and nothing happens. Then you turn it again and it'll skip ahead 2 or 3 lines. (sometimes just pressing in will make it skip and then you wind up selecting something you didn't want) I am hoping they can just replace the **** and fix this problem.

But now the big issue of the day is a dead nav! In the middle of a trip it told me to insert the navigation DVD. Strange, so I ejected and reinserted the disk. It still kept prompting me to insert it. Now I can't even eject the disk. I'm hoping it's as simple as the drive has failed and they can replace it.

It's funny, I read complaints that comfort access was glitchy, and I should have not ordered it. But, I love gadgets and it was too hard to resist. Plus I thought by 2010 they'd have it working right.

I've had nav in my last 3 MINIs and BMWs and never had any issue, so I'm a bit surprised with these problems. I'm also a bit disappointed in the nav and computer in general: in many ways it's not as good as the previous generation systems. And the maps are just so incredibly ugly.

On the bright side I guess as far as basic car operations go, I've had no problem. It still drives and handles very well. Fuel economy is great. I don't (often) miss the extra power of the super or turbo charger. But I think if I had to describe my "ideal" MINI right now, it'd have been a 2006 MCS. I often wish I had ordered an MCS instead of an MSCc back in 2006, and done all the same mods I did to it that I did to the convertible; I think I'd have kept that car.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
wow sounds like you got a car built on a Friday evening lol

hope you can get it all straightened out right

Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
smpeck
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck getting those things fixed. I avoided Comfort Access like the plague when I ordered my MINI. I had read of a ton of problems with it on the BMW 1-series forum, including some Lemon Law situations.

All in all my 2010 is OK so far - some odd noises here and there... and the jury is still out on the transmission. Will have to see how it behaves next winter.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about your problems. I can relate and understand that you want a new car to function and feel like a new car should. MINIs have one of the lowest ratings on JD Power for initial quality, which might explain problems like you and I have had.

I've had a plethora of initial problems/quality issues with my 2010 Clubman S, some of which have been taken care of and some of which they can't seem to fix. It's a bummer, for sure -- I feel your pain.

Hopefully you can get these things taken care of by your dealer and enjoy your car fully.

Last edited by Headlands; 05-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
I'm sorry to hear all the problems that you've had...my personal MCS is less than a month old...and knock on wood no problems so far.

My wife has a 5 year old MCS and we have never had any problems with it at all except the Pirelli tires that were on it were a nightmare...she has changed them out for Continental (which is what came on my new MINI) and hasn't had any more problems.

I was interested to hear yours and smpeck's comments on the Comfort Access...that was the one and only thing that I had some regrets that I didn't have installed...maybe now I'm thinking that I should be glad?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Thanks for sharing my pain everyone. I'll let you know how things turn out. I'm guessing that everything should be fixed pretty easily except for the comfort access stuff, which will probably remain buggy until BMW/MINI acknowledge that there is a problem in their hardware or software and fix it. I'm guessing it'll be like the stalling problems I had on my 2006 SMG Z4. BMW and the dealer acted as if nothing was wrong every time I complained, then a year or so later I get a letter in the mail about a recall.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
christo4ferris
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
wow sounds like you got a car built on a Friday evening lol

hope you can get it all straightened out right
More likely, Monday morning Sorry to hear of all the troubles. I'm on my 2nd MINI and I guess I've been lucky not to have any issues other than the discolored bonnet stripes (installed by the VDC, which the dealer replaced without question). I sincerely hope things work out for you. I know how I'd feel if my new car had that many issues.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
spinned
4th Gear
You may be able to fix the boot rattle by opening the hatch door and look on the door for the rubber bumpers... they screw in and out. Turn them out one half turn and see if the rattle goes away.