Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Is the Mini Extended Service Plan worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Mini Extended Service Plan worth it?

I got an email from my Mini Dealership about 2 months ago because I am approaching the end of the Mini Service plan. Read the Email they sent me to get a better Idea.

Dear Mr. Hostutler,

Your warranty for your 2008 MINI Cooper S will expire in approximately 4,000 miles. You may extend your warranty for an additional 3 years or up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Full Maintenance includes items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, provided wear and tear exceeds MINI specifications. This includes items such as brake pads, brake rotors, oil changes and wiper blades that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

The factory recommended maintenance service items listed are covered when required at specified service intervals, engine oil change and filter replacement, vehicle inspections or check, cabin dust microfilters - fresh air and recirculating, air filter replacement, brake pads, brake discs, brake fluid replacement, engine drive belts, windshield wiper inserts, automatic transmission fluid, manual transmission clutch disc, manual transmission oil, spark plugs, oxygen sensors, fuel filter (diesel engines only), Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)- drain and refill, and running-in check at 1,200 miles.

The upgrade for your Cooper S will be approximately $1,395. If you wish to upgrade your warranty, it must be before your existing warranty expires. You can contact me by replying to this email or calling 505-2100, ask for Cassie Ring or Trish Jeffery.

Thank You for your time,

Cassie Ring
505-2100

I do track events which uses my brakes more than the average Joe, and I have no idea what the costs would be to replace all the things listed that the warranty covers. Keep in mind this is only the service warranty not the bumper to bumper stuff. Does anyone have this and think its worth it or think its rubbish? Or did anyone not opt to get it and regret it because of the cost? Its a lot of money and I want to know if it is worth it. Also if it makes any difference the dealership is over an hour from my house so getting it in for service is sometimes a hassle.

What should I do?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Hey Hoss, welcome from another western NYer. The bottom line here is probably that only you can decide if it's worth it to you. There are one or two other threads on here where NAMmers lay out the pros and cons. Try the 'Search' function for the 2nd Gen MINIs; you should be able to find 'em pretty quickly. Here's one of them: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...act-terms.html .

I opted to purchase the extended service plan just yesterday. For my needs (living about 1.5 hours south of Buffalo) and what else I have to choose from in terms of mechanics working on MINIs, at this point, I was more comfortable with the dealer.

The extended service plan states something to the effect that if you require additional maintenance because you don't do 'normal driving', you will be responsible for additional maintenance costs.

I questioned the term 'normal driving' (I think that was it--it's in the service and warranty booklet that came with your MINI.) My concern was that nowhere was the term defined. My salesperson couldn't define it and honestly, neither could the service manager. They told me it could lean to either side--if the vehicle was mothballed for 6 months out of the year, such that it led to problems, OR, if it was tracked all the time and was in the shop several times more than it would be under more 'typical' usage. Just be aware of that. In fact, I suggest getting a copy of the contract and reading it over before you decide whether or not you're going to purchase it. I think there's one posted on one of the other threads I mentioned, but there might be subtle differences.

Lastly, just to be clear, this is an extended maintenance plan, not an extended warranty. The difference is significant. Again, the other thread has more info, but...buyer be..a..ware.

Good luck with your decision. Hope to see you at one of the MINI Club of WNY events in the near future!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ted is right on the money to reiterate that it's extended maintenance not service. If you're that worried about your stock pads/rotors for track days it's time to upgrade anyway. I would not get it.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
I understand that it is not the warranty but covers maintenance stuff