Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

THREE CLUTCHES IN 30,000?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM
cbriansmith
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THREE CLUTCHES IN 30,000?!

I am a normal person with normal driving habits.

I have a 2006 Cooper S, bought new. The warranty just ran out two months ago (have extended factory, but not maintenance). Last year I hired a lemon lawyer to look into filing a claim because the car had been taken to the dealership for repairs over 20 times in 3 years, many of which clutch/transmission noises, chatters, and malfunctions.

I have driven manual cars my whole life without problem.

Took the car in yesterday because of a chattering in the trans/clutch problem. I was just informed that they believe the clutch needs to be replaced again -- but it will require spending $1,500 first to rip apart the car to properly diagnose.

1. Has anyone ever heard of ANY car (driven by a responsible adult) requiring 3 clutches in 30,000 miles?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a clutch needing to be re-replaced after one year (approx 10K miles)?

3. Rhetorical question: Has any other Mini owner had premature clutch malfunction?

It is against my nature to threaten but I have finally reached my breaking point with Mini (it was right after the dealership hinted that this is all my fault -- abuse and hard driving.) I drive like a normal person. If you want to find something abnormal, just google "MINI" and "CLUTCH."

I am a journalist for several national magazines. This is the first time I've ever considered playing this card, but I can guarantee Mini that if they do not provide me with a reasonable explanation/solution to this problem, I will devote the next three months of my professional career writing about what it's been like to be a Mini owner. Not exactly fascinating reading, but I will do my best, and I can guarantee a prolific output.

I would welcome anyone else's stories/concerns/advice either here or at brismith@gmail.com regarding similar problems.

Thanks for your time.

C. Brian Smith

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
A guy who goes by "sequence" has had pretty bad experiences with MINI manual transmissions. Not sure if it was 3-clutches-in-30k bad, but I'm sure he'll post.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad service department, or their provider of clutch packs is bad....you have had some really bad luck, but I wounder if something else is going on. Perhaps you should go to a different service department, or a an independent shop....the quality of MINI dealers service departments varies so much...some have stealer reputations, and some are less than good. Unfortunately, the Dual-Mass flywheel on the MINI is less than perfect, and it tends ti get stuck, make chewbacca sounds, and the OEM clutch is ok...it seems to varry quite a bit...I wonder if MINI has an A and a B supplier...Like LUK and VALEO...since some seem to do fine.....and some are time-bombs.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If the clatter sound goes away when the clutch is depressed, could be the throughout bearing. Mine has done that since 70K miles on the odometer....I now have 95K miles and still going strong.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-flywheel.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-bearing.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...release-2.html

Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Unfortunately, there are several threads on here about premature clutch problems (though I know people write more frequently with a problem than lacking one). If you use the search utility, you'll find them readily.

I do hope you get the problem resolved and end up enjoying the MINI as many of us do. I like the suggestions to try other service outfits--maybe you'll find one that works and have a good / happy ending. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Schmidty
Neutral
Hey everyone, just bought a Rally edition Mini Cooper Clubman S, with the sports package and all. I have been driving manual transmissions on and off for 16 years now. The Clutch on my new Mini burnt out only after 1300 miles, yes thats 1 thousand three hundred miles. The dealership covered it under warranty but stated if it happens again its on me. Now I am sorry, I did push the car sometimes, but not too any extremes. I am going home tonight to read over the dealer warranty, but it appears they created a really crappy clutch. The dealers stated, that the clutch heats really fast due to the fact its a small engine. Basically you can't ride the clutch at all or you will have problems very fast. SO I agree with everyone that the clutch is a major problem with the MINI. I am also looking into talking to a lawyer to find out if my clutch goes again, if I will have to pay for it.

Since I got it back yesterday, I have been babying the car. I fear the dealership will try to get me if anything should go wrong with the clutch again. Please if anyone else has any answers, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Just drive it like a normal stick...don't ride it at stop lights, and enjoy the car. If you have driven sticks for many miles, you will likely have a good clutch life. Some do fail, but MANY mini's are driven by stick drivers who are just learning, and remember that the clutches are removed for many reasons other than outright failure. Some folks get a noisy throw-out bearing, others a chewbacca in thecflywheel (stuck/leaky dual mass portion), and some folks just wear them out. Like many high performance cars, the clutch is a weak link...but that is true with many expensive cars with big motors...the part that sucks is it is a full day+ job on a mini to swap one out...
The oem clutch appears to be a valeo, but since most car makers have 2+ suppliers for most parts, and many folks get 80,000-100,000 miles on a clutch, it makes me wonder if one of the oem suppliers is making an inferior clutch...just guessing, but maybe a LUK...I have heard many folks say they are timebombs...
PS...if you think dealer mechanics are $$$ by the hour, you haven't priced a lawyer/retainer yet...new aftermarket clutch is way cheaper...