Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Another Oil Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI33342
Thanks...I was looking for that link!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
: ... many folks antagonize over the choice oil oil...My advise....simply choose an oil that meets the Spec...(the correct Mobil1, German Castrol, Or MINI/BMW oil) ...
Yes, but WHICH "spec"?

According to this page:
http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ.../maintenance-m
... MINI requires the oil to meet both the BMW LL-01 and the API SM specs. However, the "approved" German Castrol 0W-30 is API SL (an older/lower spec than SM), and I have read that even the MINI brand 5W-30 sold at MINI dealers is also API SL, and not the specified SM.

So if MINI's own oil does not meet their advertised spec, what's a consumer to do?

The only oils I have been able to find that claim to meet both LL-01 and API SM are:
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 - which is on MINI's "approved" list, and
Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic - 5W-30 - which is NOT on MINI's "approved" list.

Anybody know of any others?

BTW, some say to ignore the API spec and go by some other specs such as the European ACEA or ILSAC. But because MINI does not specify requirements under those tests, it sounds a bit hit-or-miss to me. I really don't care to gamble on the price of a replacement engine, so I'm going to need more evidence than the opinion of some guy on the internet before using anything not on MINI's "approved" list - even though my gut instinct tells me that there are probably several other perfectly acceptable lubes on the shelves of my local auto parts store.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Oh No Not Another Oil Thread!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Schiebs
Neutral
who cares what kind of oil you use when my mini (we use the dealer brand just FYI)is buring a qrt every 3,000 miles
time to go cheap but in the specs what do you recommend

Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Schiebs - sorry to hear your MINI is using oil (I assume you've ruled out leaks?) Do you mind posting the year, model and mileage of your MINI? Also, I'd be curious to know how often the oil has been changed over the life of the car.

I've documented my struggle to sort out MINIs mess of oil recommendations here:
click here

Sadly, I have no easy answers, but let me try to clarify a few points which have been brought up in this thread:

The list of oils which are "recommended" by MINI (see my link or previous posts) are recommended for top-up, only; they are NOT recommended by MINI for a complete oil change.

The one and only oil recommended by MINI for a complete oil change is the MINI brand factory oil, PN 07 51 0 143 829. (And even that oil does not meet MINIs own specifications which include API SM or higher - the factory oil is only API SL.)

Castrol (America) does not recommend any of their products for my R56. I confirmed this by email and phone - per Castrol, they have NO product for the MINI in the USA.

I've come to the conclusion that if you have easy access to a MINI (or BMW) dealer, then just use MINI part number 07 51 0 143 829 (or BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866).

The nearest MINI dealer to me is 200 miles away, so I've been ordering my MINI oil from WorldImpex.com ($7.50/qt+shipping). Now that I have confirmation from my MINI dealer that the BMW oil is the same as MINI, and since there is a BMW dealer in my home town, I plan to use that next time (I don't yet know how much they charge for a quart of BMW oil).

BTW, I'm not saying there is any known engineering reason why you should strictly follow the recommendations of either MINI or Castrol, I'm just trying to clarify what the recommendations are. My instinct tells me there nothing so special about this car that there is only one oil in all of America that can keep it happy, but that's MINI's corporate position, and I lack the engineering expertise to prove otherwise.

Hope this helps.