Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Noob Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM
E30King
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob Question(s)

Yeah so I'm fairly new to the whole Mini-scene! Being a BMW-enthusiast, I can pretty much appreciate what they have come up with. Anyways, I've been thinking about making a purchase of a 2004 MCS with what I've read so far, a crappy autotragic tranny. So as come to reliability, are the '04 automatics better than the previous years which has MAJOR issues with the CVT?

This MCS that I'm looking at is gorgeous and I really do like it. But this whole CVT issue does worry me, especially when they do die. So of course, the manual tranny is the prefered choice. Are they virtually bullet-proof, or also had some issues?

I've been doing some reading and the reviews on the tranny is very mixed and I'd like a straight answer if possible.

...also, I have heard of the manual swaps. Are they somewhat manageable? I know that there has to be some ECU programming and wiring BS that has to be done. But has anyone actually do it? (any links would be helpful) Tranny swaps aren't new to me, I've done two swaps to my BMW's from auto to 5-speed. ('90 E30 325i and '88 E24 635CSi)

Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
No MCS autos have or ever had the CVT. The regular Coopers had the CVT. The S has an Aisin built 6 speed auto which has proven to be very relaible.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by E30King
...I've been thinking about making a purchase of a 2004 MCS with what I've read so far, a crappy autotragic tranny. ...
I believe the automatic transmission came out in the '05 model year, so you either have the year wrong or you have a manual.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
E30King
Neutral
So technically, the MCS is much more reliable than regular Mini, even with a possible automatic?

It's actually a local ad on Craigslist. But the thing that is worrying me, is that the price is actually really reasonable. Especially reading all about the tranny issues going on. I haven't checked this car out yet and do plan on sending an email. But from what I can tell from the pictures posted, the shifter doesn't look like a manual shifter. It is an '04 model, but most likely the last production date of that year. I DO wish that it possibly is a manual!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
E30King
Neutral
...just wanted to clear up something

The MCS that I'm looking at is NOT an '04. It turns out it's an '06. The seller just made a mistake. It also is an automatic. Were the automatics in these any good? -- I also have a hunch that it needs a tranny..

Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See Suzanne's reply above---the MCS auto is well-built.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
E30King
Neutral
Alrighty then! Looks to me that this Mini is definately worth checking out! Thanks guys!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
...just wanted to clear up something

The MCS that I'm looking at is NOT an '04. It turns out it's an '06. The seller just made a mistake. It also is an automatic. Were the automatics in these any good? -- I also have a hunch that it needs a tranny..
A seller on Craigs list that doesn't know the age of their car.....
Usually if folks guess or lie, they say newer...not older....
Be very careful.....
The trannys on the "S" are very good....
the CVT on the regular coopers...not so much...

Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
E30King
Neutral
I was a little surprised myself. Anyways, I always do VIN checks with ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC). We'll see what happens.. I always cruise on Craigslist, most of my purchases are from Craigs.

There is a fellow that has been selling his '03 Mini, not MCS, but says it DOES need a tranny replacement. It's an auto, go figure. Can I swap an auto tranny from a MCS, into a regular Mini? Or will there be issues with wiring and programming (..other stuff that I do not know of?)

Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
I was a little surprised myself. Anyways, I always do VIN checks with ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC). We'll see what happens.. I always cruise on Craigslist, most of my purchases are from Craigs.

There is a fellow that has been selling his '03 Mini, not MCS, but says it DOES need a tranny replacement. It's an auto, go figure. Can I swap an auto tranny from a MCS, into a regular Mini? Or will there be issues with wiring and programming (..other stuff that I do not know of?)

People have gone from the Midlands 5 speed (on the cooper)to the Getrag 6.(from the S)....
but the auto is so integrated into the computers, and wiring harness, I doubt it is doable.....the lack of tourqe is the non-S is an issue...performance is just OK with the stick transplant...with the auto..if you did make it happen...I don't think you would be happy.

The auto CVT is about a $7000 USD repair....no other real options except buy a totaled mini, and do a full drive train/wiring transplant....but at that point, just buying a differnt car makes more sense...

Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
E30King
Neutral
hmm.. that makes perfect sense! It's too bad really, it's unfortunate that these cars are so electronically inclined. Makes everything so complex! So my best bet is probably just to sit out for awhile until something within my budget and with a manual comes along. I'm a big fan of the manual tranny in anything, I don't "believe" in automatic and it's "sporty" ways..

They're prices are quite rediculous I must say. particularly for a tranny that will die once again.