Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

06 catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Tortuga88
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 catalytic converter

I have an '06 MCS (built Dec'06). Last January, the check engine light came on (with a bit less than 36,000 miles). A local MINI dealer replaced the catalytic converter (after much discussion).

The car now has 47,000 miles, and the check engine light came on again. We have a new MINI dealer closer to home, so I took the car there. Got a call today, and they told me that it needs a new cat. I told them that it had been replaced 11,000 miles, and less than 6 months ago, and I wanted to know what the problem was - what is causing the cats to go out. (I asked the first time, and was told that it was probably a bad cat to start with). I've not heard back.....Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
wyefye
2nd Gear
get a scan gauge or a reader of some sort to check that engine code. even go to auto zone for a free read.

i don't trust dealers at all... i think of those "mechanics" more like a telephone marketer. they dont use common sense.. they just replace what the computer tells them. this means that if the computer says its your cat, they replace it, and you still have a problem, what than? thier just going to keep stabbing in the dark.

if it is your cat, again.... you may have some more serious problems. Cats don't just go out after a few thousand miles unless your spewing something terrible from your exhaust.

Also, if your car running funny? does your exhaust smell bad, like atv or boat exhaust?

a clogged cat would cause loss of performance, overheating of the cat, and a generally bad running car.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Tortuga88
1st Gear
That's the thing about it - the car has been running fine. Haven't noticed a bad smell from the exaust. Getting 27 mpg (highway - running about 80mph to and from work - 60 mile commute). I'm happy to have them replace the cat - but I've got to know what is causing it. The second dealership is not convinced that the first one replaced the cat the first time - but I don't know why they would lie about something like that. Does the oxygen gauge have anything to do with the fuel mix? Could it be that? The code was read by a place that was fixing a nail in the tire - they said it was the oxygen sensor

Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM
wyefye
2nd Gear
heck yes. the oxygen sensor has everything to do with AFR. if they are bad, yes it can throw a o2 code. that may be why they said that the cat was bad... which is stupid.

dont get the CAT replaced if you dont need to thats just senseless.

if you are mechanically inclined, remove the O2 sensors, hand run some carb cleaner or some kind of reccomended solvent over them. there are two, and they are both easy to reach. Also, if the O2 sensors are bad, they can screw up your cat.