Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

AC Issues on my 2004 MC

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 PM
gob15
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Issues on my 2004 MC

Hey guys,

I have just finished reading a series of threads regarding various AC issues. In particular, the AC blowing less than cool air. My AC is not blowing cold air. It's not blowing hot air either. I read a few threads about the low speed and high speed engine fans and how if the low speed fan goes, it can causes the high speed fan to kick in and have the engine run too hot. The last few times I have driven my car I have noticed the high fan on after I turned the car off. I should also mention it has been very warm/hot here in NY the past few weeks.

Before I brought the car in, I wanted to ask a few questions so I don't get rippied off since I am out of warranty.

-If it is a low speed fan issue, is there any chance that my AC compressor is still good or is it done for sure since it is not blowing cold air?

-If the low speed fan and the compressor are no longer good, do I need to replace both or can I just do the fan for now? I ask since I don't use the AC all of the time and I definitely will have to time this out since the replacement cost is pretty high.

-I don't have a trusty mechanic (that I know) in the immediate NYC area. I usually bring it to a mechanic near my in-laws in Maryland when I visit for the weekend. Am i wrong in assuming I should not try to make that trip without getting my car checked out before hand?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
gear-head
2nd Gear
is the air blowing in at all when the A/C is on? Does the little green light on the A/C button turn on?

High speed/low speed issues are related to the radiator fan and associated circuitry. The relays etc kick on or off dependent on the A/C being above 8 bar for low speed, or above 23 bar for high speed (quoting from memory don't hold me to that)

So, I don't think it's related to that at all. I would check the fuses for A/C, and maybe you just need a refrigerant re-charge.

but ... I could be all wet

Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
gob15
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gear-head
is the air blowing in at all when the A/C is on? Does the little green light on the A/C button turn on?

High speed/low speed issues are related to the radiator fan and associated circuitry. The relays etc kick on or off dependent on the A/C being above 8 bar for low speed, or above 23 bar for high speed (quoting from memory don't hold me to that)

So, I don't think it's related to that at all. I would check the fuses for A/C, and maybe you just need a refrigerant re-charge.

but ... I could be all wet
Yes. The AC blows air. Not cold air though. And not hot. It's somewhere in between. The green light does turn on when I hit the AC (snowflake) button. I called my mechanic and he said it most likely needs a re-charge, as you mentioned, but I was worried due to the high-speed fan staying on after I turned the car off. Of course, like I said, it has been about 90 degrees here is NY the past week or so and I have experienced the high speed fan turning on in the past while the AC was funcitoning fine. I just want to be cautious.

I will swing by a local mechanic this weekend to see about a recharge since I don't trust my local MINI dealer as far as I can kick him

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
gear-head
2nd Gear
92 degrees here last week and my fan stayed on for about 3 minutes after I turned off the car. Nothing to worry about, it really does sound like you just need a re-charge.

Also a good time to replace the in-cabin air filter ...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
gob15
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gear-head
92 degrees here last week and my fan stayed on for about 3 minutes after I turned off the car. Nothing to worry about, it really does sound like you just need a re-charge.

Also a good time to replace the in-cabin air filter ...
I hope you are right. Thanks for the quick replies and the help!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
gob15
2nd Gear
Very sorry about not following up sooner. It turned out that my AC needed a recharge. I guess with all of the info out there it's easy to consider the worst. But usually it's the most obvious. The wait in the shop took longer than the actual recharge. It was blowing cold almost instantly.

A few things to keep in mind. If you go in for the recharge, there is no way of knowing before hand if it's just simply in need of the recharge or if you have a leak. But you can request that they use the dye when doing the recharge so that if there is a leak you will know for sure. Because you won't know before hand if it's a leak or not, you will be charged for the recharge regardless of whether or not the recharge worked.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info from everyone.