Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Labor Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
V73W
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labor Times

I am in a tug of war with the BMW dealer and my extended warranty company and was wondering if anyone had access to the bmw labor guides or mitchell labor guides for the a/c compressor, alternator, rack and pinion, drivers door latch cable, valve cover gasket, and right front strut mount r&r. According to BMW, my extended warranty wouldn't pay their labor in full because it differed from the labor guide times (mitchell) that the warranty company used. Also BMW told me that they used their "BMW Warranty" labor guide. Well the extended warranty conmpany told me that if BMW can show them the labor times then they would would pay the differences. So I'm not sure if the dealer is trying to strangle me and my warranty company for everything they can (if anybody is wondering this is Mini of Nashville that's doing the work and this is my first dealings with them so any info on the reliability of them would be helpful). The difference in money is almost $1000 and I keep getting these contradicting statements from both the warranty company who says BMW is using Mitchell labor guides and BMW says that this is all the warranty company said they would pay. Once the car was finished and the warranty company had paid the dealer, they were pretty pushy in insisting that I go ahead and pay them and just get the warranty company to pay me back, I know better than that, I mean I'm a technician myself so I understand how the labor times work but I'm not working at a shop and don't have any access to labor times so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
At the dealer that I worked at, if it was past warranty, there was a multiplier used. Out of warranty labor = warranty rate X 1.6

That's what the problem is....I've dealt with warranty companys and distrust all of them, but usually they are spot on with the labor times because they use Mitchell or maybe Chilton's labor guide.

Also, I distrust the warranty companys so much that I don't let a car leave my shop if the bill hasn't been paid....period. Problem is that the warranty company's usually going to take between 30-60 days to pay. So the customer, if they want the car back has to pay me and get paid back by the warranty company. No leverage once the car is gone.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by V73W
if anybody is wondering this is Mini of Nashville that's doing the work and this is my first dealings with them so any info on the reliability of them would be helpful
I am no help on the labor hours but I have had nothing but good experience with MINI of Nashville. I have only been there for warranty work but they were great and even overlooked my mods when doing warranty work.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
The extended warranties only pay the factory labor times. The dealer is raising the labor times to their "customer pay price" That is an on going fight we all have. If your having so much trouble, we are happy to honor your extended warranty, just have to bring the car to us. With all that work the dealer should be happy to get the work. Give us a call if you need any help.

WAY

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The extended warranties only pay the factory labor times. The dealer is raising the labor times to their "customer pay price" That is an on going fight we all have. If your having so much trouble, we are happy to honor your extended warranty, just have to bring the car to us. With all that work the dealer should be happy to get the work. Give us a call if you need any help.

WAY

Way,

From what I've seen, the factory rate(warranty) differs from the guide that every warranty company uses. They use the more industry standard rate from Mitchell or Chiltons....