Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Toggle Switch Panel Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Jayhoo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toggle Switch Panel Not Working

So I just finished installing the Stewart Warner boost gauge and voltmeter. disconnected the battery, finished the install. reconnected the battery, everything seemed to work. the driver side window works, however, the rest of the toggle switches no longer seem to work (locks, traction control, passenger window)

the windows and locks work from the key however. any ideas? has anybody else used these gauges?

I also am only registering vacuum on the gauge... but I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong there. the switch panel is my bigger concern.

any help is appreciated.

2005 MCS

Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
well I'm out on a limb here cuz I have no experience with this install and have no idea what you accessed to do it.

But I believe the toggle row is serviced by one long multi-connector and the first thing I'd be checking is if that is still seated firmly. Sounds plausable that one end has been pulled away.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM
minitech829
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's possible that the connector for the switches came loose or is just not plugged in anymore for whatever reason

Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
hockeyman
3rd Gear
Hard to imagine that the plug came loose. I put the Auto up window gadget in my Goss and it seems to me that it would be all or nothing on the switches. It's an IDE ribbon cable type connector. When you put the boost gauge in, where did you mount it? Where did you get the power for the light? Did you tap into the switch panel for anything? Is it possible that you are drawing too many amps from that source?
Like Capt.BJ, it's hard to assist when there are so few details.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can think of two things.
1. If you had the switch panel out for some reason, did you make sure to lock the connector back in place when you reinstalled the connector on the switch panel. The connector has a lever that locks the connector. If not the connector could be loose and only making partial contact.
2. What wires do you connect to for power? As hockeyman suggested, you might be pulling too many amps. I know when I was adding an accessory I first used one power wire that caused other things not to work but never blew a fuse.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Jayhoo
1st Gear
Thanks for the help guys. crisis averted.

ripped everything back out and checked the connections. that seemed to fix it, though I'm not sure how since everything semmed snapped in correctly.

I was concerned it was a bigger problem especially considering only one window would work, and it would only work when the lights were off...

regardless, all is well!

fixed the gauge too the same afternoon! (after being driven around all day looking for a suitable way to connect the incorrect hose I cut, and of course everything was closed on sunday... learning experience)