Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clubman water leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012 | 03:21 PM
vereinmann
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KevinY
I guess I spoke to soon on my water leak issue. After I made my last post I had to put something in the back of my car so I decided to check everything out to see if it was still all good. Of course there was water in there again. This is now the 5th time the car has been in service for the water leak so I am really starting to question the car over the long term. Sadly I have started to look into the North Carolina Lemon laws. I still love how the car drives and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it but if this continues I am going to have to look at my options. It is really disappointing to me because my family has had mini's the majority of my life and ever since the BMW mini's came out I have wanted one.
wow that sucks, sorry to hear!
my leak still hasn't returned, maybe my fix solved it, maybe i've never reproduced the same condition again, I really don't know.

Old 07-12-2012 | 05:49 PM
KevinY
Neutral
Originally Posted by vereinmann
wow that sucks, sorry to hear!
my leak still hasn't returned, maybe my fix solved it, maybe i've never reproduced the same condition again, I really don't know.
yeah, it really does suck. I enjoy driving my mini so much and it fits my personality so much.

Old 07-13-2012 | 06:00 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
I know this is going to sound f-ed up, but sprinkle some baby powder around into the rear of the car against the factory sheet-metal in the area(s) of concern. Check back regularly looking for streaking in the powder. See if you can use that method to trace the leak back to its origins. Or some other method of dusting. Up side, baby powder doesn't smell half bad either

Old 01-16-2013 | 09:46 PM
QMANX
Neutral
Did you ever get the leak fixed?

Originally Posted by KevinY
yeah, it really does suck. I enjoy driving my mini so much and it fits my personality so much.
Hello,

I was hoping and wondering if you got the leak fixed. I ended up very carefully taking the large gasket that seals the barn doors to the car off and placing silicon into all the little holes that are left between spot welds. I also applied the silicon to any little gaps around the area behind the gasket (mostly at the bottom of the opening). I read about this somewhere on the internet with pictures and everything but can not relocate it. There is a comment listed in this thread also stating they did this but were waiting for rain. Anyway, I let the silicon dry and then carefully re-installed the large black gasket. I now have no leak when it rains. I will probably still check from time to time to make sure, but so far so good.

Old 06-22-2013 | 08:00 AM
42jshelley
Neutral
water leak

vereinmann- Bingo! remove lower inside sill trim panel, pull off rear cargo door weatherstrip (on body). Noted mine has black silicone in MOST of little u shaped channels- but not all not at bottom. Cleaned rear body panel all the way around- ran slow flow from hose along bottom of body panel/channels- watched water trickle into spare well from inside of same channels! Woops- bad design. Called my local dealer- no bulletins on similar complaints. I will be telling them about this- no one should have to pay for this as it is a defect! Down goes Mini's "fit & finish" rating a little! Well done.
Now if there is water in the well AGAIN, back to drawing board.

Old 06-22-2013 | 08:44 AM
vereinmann
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 42jshelley
vereinmann- Bingo! remove lower inside sill trim panel, pull off rear cargo door weatherstrip (on body). Noted mine has black silicone in MOST of little u shaped channels- but not all not at bottom. Cleaned rear body panel all the way around- ran slow flow from hose along bottom of body panel/channels- watched water trickle into spare well from inside of same channels! Woops- bad design. Called my local dealer- no bulletins on similar complaints. I will be telling them about this- no one should have to pay for this as it is a defect! Down goes Mini's "fit & finish" rating a little! Well done.
Now if there is water in the well AGAIN, back to drawing board.
that's great to hear! I'm glad i could be of assistance, I hope it solves it for you. I still never had a return of water in my wheel well, so i'm going with 'problem solved' on my end :D

Old 12-02-2017 | 09:15 AM
weebad
Neutral
Thanks Vereinmann!

I just found the spare tire well of my 2008 Clubman S with a half inch of water in it. I don't have a sunroof but the car has seen a lot of rain while being mostly parked.

After removing the threshold I pulled back the rubber barn door seal and it was full of water inside. There is no rust yet so it should be a simple sealant repair.

Old 12-04-2017 | 12:05 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Talked a lot about it here: 51762757822

Check that seal out. And also the one in the center.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-on-boot.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172