Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

12v socket not working, Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 AM
jcbugayong
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 12v outlet on my 2009 mini is not working. I found out a nickel fell into it and probably it had a short circuit. Does anyone know if there is a fuse to this?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pages 189 & 190 of the 2008 Owner's Manual (I presume the information should be on or near the same pages of the 2009 manual) cover fuse box locations within the vehicle; one in the engine compartment, and one in the passenger's-side footwell. I would expect that each box has a fuse guide within it, but never having looked inside of mine, I'm not sure how cryptic MINI has made theirs (I know the one GM supplies is not very intuitive).

Bear in mind that, while the 12v outlet is almost certainly on a fuse-protected circuit, often things like this are on the same circuit as other electrical components (e.g., I'd also lose the electric door locks in my 1989 Firebird when the fuse protecting the 12v outlet blew). So, you may have to "cross-reference" the fuse that protects the 12v outlet by looking under the heading of any other electrical component(s) that has/have lost power; it may be a bit of a "goose hunt" to find the offending culprit.

Last edited by timfitz63; 06-26-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
colejd
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Happened to me as well. The fuse is located in the passenger side footwell. I would pick up a pack of different amp fuses and a fuse puller/tester from your local auto parts store as your Mini has no spares. Mine kept blowing as I tried to plug in a 12V outlet 1 to 3 adapter. The one I had chosen not only had the metal contact at the end but a metal band around the side. This caused a repeated short every time I tried to plug it in. If you want a splitter find one that is all plastic except for the actual contact. According to this link (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...own-twice.html) the fuse number and amperage is F42 (20 Amp). The tester will confirm this.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM
jcbugayong
Neutral
fuse box

Originally Posted by timfitz63
Pages 189 & 190 of the 2008 Owner's Manual (I presume the information should be on or near the same pages of the 2009 manual) cover fuse box locations within the vehicle; one in the engine compartment, and one in the passenger's-side footwell. I would expect that each box has a fuse guide within it, but never having looked inside of mine, I'm not sure how cryptic MINI has made theirs (I know the one GM supplies is not very intuitive).

Bear in mind that, while the 12v outlet is almost certainly on a fuse-protected circuit, often things like this are on the same circuit as other electrical components (e.g., I'd also lose the electric door locks in my 1989 Firebird when the fuse protecting the 12v outlet blew). So, you may have to "cross-reference" the fuse that protects the 12v outlet by looking under the heading of any other electrical component(s) that has/have lost power; it may be a bit of a "goose hunt" to find the offending culprit.
Thanks!! after a month without power outlet i found the fuse and yes i have to goosehunt since its hard to pinpiont through the icons on the fuse cover which is which. Some figures i can pinpiont. The dealer in New York said there is no fuse for the 12v outlet and i have to bring it to the dealership so they can take a closer look. Yeah right!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM
jcbugayong
Neutral
fuse

Originally Posted by colejd
Happened to me as well. The fuse is located in the passenger side footwell. I would pick up a pack of different amp fuses and a fuse puller/tester from your local auto parts store as your Mini has no spares. Mine kept blowing as I tried to plug in a 12V outlet 1 to 3 adapter. The one I had chosen not only had the metal contact at the end but a metal band around the side. This caused a repeated short every time I tried to plug it in. If you want a splitter find one that is all plastic except for the actual contact. According to this link (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...own-twice.html) the fuse number and amperage is F42 (20 Amp). The tester will confirm this.
Thanks for the advice!! It was f44 on the fuse box with 20 amps on it. The dealer in New York said there is no fuse for the 12v outlet!! can you believe that!!? They want me to bring the car in so they can take a closer look.