Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The ubiquitous rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ubiquitous rattle...

Greetings & salutations to all NAM members... I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post...

I have a '04 S model Mini w/75K miles that although being a wonderful car and a blast to drive, has turned evil on me like a vindictive x-wife...

I noticed a rattle on both sides of the front end when I would run over a bump or irregularity in the pavement... It's a metal-on-metal rattle... It can take place anywhere from 5mph - 45mph... I took it to the local dealer and was presented with an estimate very close to the gross national debt... Motor mounts, control arm bushings, valve cover & oil pan gaskets and alignment... I decided to shop around and found a shop with a lower estimate and had the work done...

They replaced the lower engine mount, upper RF engine mount & tower, #2 front strut mounts, #2 urethane caster bushings and did a 4-wheel alignment on the car... I also replaced all 4 tires... The car has 19 inch alloys with 35 series Continental high speed radials...

The shop's invoice references 'caster' bushings, not 'control arm' bushings... Are these one in the same or not???

While the car does drive much better, it still rattles just as it did before... Actually, the rattle is worse...

What are my next steps??? Sway bar bushings??? Possibly bodywork rattling??? Seppuku???

Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you go over the bump or bumpy road that makes your car rattle try putting your left foot on the brake & drag the brake a bit. Did the rattle go away? If so look at your bakes.

I had a similar rattle, but from the rear. My aftermarket pads were rattling in the caliper.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
^ I did as you suggested and the rattling stopped... Amazing...

I've got new pads on order and will replace them as soon as they arrive...

Thanks for the assist...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
I chased the rattle in mine for over a year. Out of desperation I went to the dealer & talked with a very good tech. His advice was what I gave to you.

When you pull the pads look closely & you will see shiny parts of the pad backing plate where it is banging on the caliper. The caliper will have matching shiny points.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
Huh, who would have thought something minor would cause that. Without NAM, some people might pay a lot of $$$ for a problem and having what they fixed not be the problem at all! Crashton +1

Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
I finally got around to replacing the front pads my Mini today... I ordered a set of EBC greenstuff pads to replace the oem pads...

The source of the rattle was the metal spring-clips on the inside of the pads that fit into the caliper piston... On the left side, all three spring-clips had broken off and on the right side one had broken off... They were spinning around inside the piston and when I hit a bump, they would rattle... The new EBC pads took care of the mysterious rattle...

I know I am jinxing myself, but my Mini is rattle-free!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Congrats on banishing the demon rattle.