Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

after market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after market exhaust

Just another question about the exhaust. I'm only assuming that the entire system is corroded as I've not been able to get to the shop yet.
What are your opinions on an after market exhaust? It would be half as much as the listed OEM replacement or a few of the more expensive stainless steel types. I'm not looking to better the performance or sound and the man at the exhaust shop said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really depends what is put on your car. Perhaps ask him if it's an aftermaket OEM style exhaust, if it is then the noise level should be the same as what you are used too.

If it's an aftermarket exhaust (Magnaflow, Borla, M7 etc) then yes the noise level will go up quite a bit.

Perhaps ask him if you can get a signed statement that will guarentee the exhaust will remain silent like your original one.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All AM exhaust will improve both performance and sound, as they are designed to do so. The only way to stay quiet, is OEM design.

That being said, there is no reason to pay more for OEM, which is worse. Go with a Stratmosphere or Invidia IMHO.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
evilness,

The man said it would look like the muffler etc. that is on there now. Somehow they actually make the exhaust and bend the pipes. I already asked if he'd guarantee that it would be the same, in writing. Good to see that you mentioned that about getting it in writing. I got to thinking maybe I'm being a naggy female for asking that.
I'll no doubt lose the chrome part that is the exhaust pipe but maybe it's possible to ask if that can be adapted into his work.
I never quit thinking the worst,,,now I'm wondering if any of this could lead to a new catalytic converter.
Thanks for your reply

Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
All AM exhaust will improve both performance and sound, as they are designed to do so. The only way to stay quiet, is OEM design.

That being said, there is no reason to pay more for OEM, which is worse. Go with a Stratmosphere or Invidia IMHO.
Agarwaen,
Thanks for your reply. This little car has sure kept my brain cells kicked in.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
evilness,

The man said it would look like the muffler etc. that is on there now. Somehow they actually make the exhaust and bend the pipes. I already asked if he'd guarantee that it would be the same, in writing. Good to see that you mentioned that about getting it in writing. I got to thinking maybe I'm being a naggy female for asking that.
I'll no doubt lose the chrome part that is the exhaust pipe but maybe it's possible to ask if that can be adapted into his work.
I never quit thinking the worst,,,now I'm wondering if any of this could lead to a new catalytic converter.
Thanks for your reply
I'm in the same boat as you, the mini is my daily driver and I like it silent I have my Harley to make noise . You should pay for what he advertised so it's not too much requesting written confirmation, it's usually pretty standard.

The chrome tip can be purchased at Mini for a fairly cheap price if you want to have the same esthetics look as stock, they are also very easy to install.

Now if you are looking to get front to back (From the header to exhaust tip) you will require a few parts like a cat converter and a resonator but they usually include that in the price, you might want to verify with your mechanic.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ahh, I Misunderstood what you were meaning. With the him reconstructing the OEM setup, you should keep the same sound and performance level. As long as he has the proper muffler/resonator set up installed. As evil says, verify with the mechanic that all of those pieces are going to be included, as without them it will be very loud. And presumably they are the major pieces seeing corrosion, That is quite common.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
One thing to consider....
Is it leaking or just corroded?
The covers on the rear muffler/resinotor can be in pretty bad shape, but they can still workmperfectly fine, since they are mostly a heatshield.
If a mechanic is saying it is corroded, but it is not leaking...kinda subjective...exausts, rust and corrode...even the stock one which, I am pretty sure is Stainless.
If you want a "quiet" oem equivelent exaust, then go that route...aftermarkets make a louder, more sporty sound, in part to allow more power production, and they usually cost a bit more than stock.
A good exaust shop should be able to build an exaust that will work fine, or you could get the oem parts...either way, you have the question of the ages...patch it up, or replace specfic parts, or do the whole catlytic converter back....depends on the condition, and the $$ you have to spend, and how long you plan on keeping the car...less hassel longterm to replace it all, sometimes cheaper, but more $$ upfront.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
One thing...catylic cnverters have longer warrentys in sone states, and they rarely fail on non-modfied mini's....and most corrosion on a car if from the catylatic converter back...so there should be no need to replace this. $$$ part unless you are throwing emissions codes, and failing emissions, with a newer o2 sensor....
A custom exaust shop should have noproblem bending/fabercating the pipes...just be sure to stress to them you want it the same sound, or quiter than oem if that is what you want....it will effect the choices that are made, such as muffler type, and resinstor size.
One thing...what are they using, regular alumanized steel, or stainless? Stainless has a much longer life, and may be worth thecextra $$ if you will be driving more than 3 years, or make lots of short trips.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
One thing to consider....
Is it leaking or just corroded?
The covers on the rear muffler/resinotor can be in pretty bad shape, but they can still workmperfectly fine, since they are mostly a heatshield.
If a mechanic is saying it is corroded, but it is not leaking...kinda subjective...exausts, rust and corrode...even the stock one which, I am pretty sure is Stainless.
If you want a "quiet" oem equivelent exaust, then go that route...aftermarkets make a louder, more sporty sound, in part to allow more power production, and they usually cost a bit more than stock.
A good exaust shop should be able to build an exaust that will work fine, or you could get the oem parts...either way, you have the question of the ages...patch it up, or replace specfic parts, or do the whole catlytic converter back....depends on the condition, and the $$ you have to spend, and how long you plan on keeping the car...less hassel longterm to replace it all, sometimes cheaper, but more $$ upfront.
Wow, I wish I could just have you all with me but I'm writing all of this down.
Thanks Zippy